Endralon

National news threads that host the key national news outlets for each of the game’s countries.

Endralon

Postby Zanadu » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:58 pm

"Here I am, here I stay!" - King Ottokar I of Endralon
Zanadu

Re: Endralon Herald

Postby Zanadu » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:07 pm

Terra's oldest monarchy in peril
August 2906

Endralon could be a republic within a matter years, according to an influential Populist politician.

Boris Jorgen, internal affairs spokesperson for the Populist Party, today submitted a bill to the National Assembly designed to abolish the monarchy.

Jorgen commented: "It's unclear whether the bill will attract sufficient support to pass, but there is certainly a growing republican sentiment within the Assembly."

Endralon is Terra's oldest monarchy and up to now one of the most stable. However following the recent death of the King, the Assembly has pointedly refused to endorse a successor. Observers believe even formerly committed parties may be wavering in their support for the monarchy.
Zanadu

Postby Zanadu » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:51 pm

Republic declared - king barricaded in palace
December 2911

The National Assembly has voted overwhelmingly in favor of abolishing the nation's monarchy and declaring a republic. In an historic vote that brings to an end the rule of Terra's oldest monarchy, politicians ordered unpopular King Joseph to step down and to leave his palace.

"The spirit of freedom has been honored today by us getting rid of this tyrant," Populist Party spokesperson Boris Jorgen told a gathered crowd.

"The Endralonian people have been freed from centuries of feudal tradition, and the doors of change have now opened," he said.

The abolition is a triumph for the coalition government and marks a fresh start for the country, still reeling from years of political division. Officials say Joseph, who ascended to the throne after the death of his father, will have 15 days to vacate his lavish palace.

Protestors outside the royal palace

Outside the palace a crowd of several thousands - who had been waiting impatiently for the vote - cheered wildly as the result was announced. Reformists have told Joseph to bow out gracefully and adapt to life as a "regular citizen" or else "leave the country."

"I am overjoyed. This is the most important day of my life," said a 21-year-old student.

Addressing the crowd a Populist Party Minister said: "Endralon has turned into a democratic republic, all laws and traditions that contradict this idea will be invalidated from today."

"All the privileges enjoyed by the king and royal family will automatically come to an end."

He later told reporters that Joseph "should understand and leave the palace by himself, that would be the best thing."
Zanadu

weeds are good

Postby djawaman21 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:40 am

Thousands Protest to Bring Torturer to Justice, Politicians Blame ENPD

Old Ginbar, Endralon - Recent case involving the torture of Republica University Student has became heated political debate in this country. Started from this morning, thousands of people from different backgrounds gathered a protest in front of National Assembly, demanding the torturer investigated and brought to the court. "Torture is a brutal and inefficient method of gathering information, convicts can still lie to avoid being further tortured, its efficiency is best questionable, and as civilized nation, we must stop using them" said one protester.

Protest Scene

Responding to the torture case, The National Assembly is very likely going to pass a controversial bill initiated by the radical AAA that will privatize the Endralon National Police Department(ENPD) and Local Police Branches to non-profit private institutions. Jack Ryan, an assembly member from New Hope stated that the privatization of police will only favor the rich and thus create massive Justice Inequality, but this statement argued by AAA leader Jean-Paul Hobbes. "Only non-profit institution can run the police, so no need to worry" he said.

-Linda Gaiman (Endralon Herald)
Last edited by djawaman21 on Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
djawaman21

Postby djawaman21 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:53 am

Humbert is in Critical Condition

Zergon, Endralon - Zizi Zylvain, a 65-years old retiree that usually plays with Humbert The Purple Hamster while jog in the morning found him inanimate in the Conservation Zone and immediately bring him to the local Vet. "I'm afraid, i'm really afraid, the doctor said that it has slim chance to survive, i hope Humbert's okay"

Meanwhile, after the local TV and Radio station broadcasts Humbert's situation, hundreds of locals gathered in Zergon Central Park to give flowers for Humbert. By the time this article is published, Humbert is still in critical condition in the local Veterinarian. We also pray for the best of Humbert's condition.

flowers for Humbert

-Ted Remus, Endralon Herald
djawaman21

Postby Zanadu » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:22 pm

National Assembly denounces monarchism
September 2926

The National Assembly of Endralon has endorsed a scathing attack on monarchism and those who advocate it. The strongly worded resolution, which passed by a thumping 272 votes to 29, denounced monarchism as 'tyrannical' and said any attempt to restore the monarchy would be 'unpatriotic'.

The full text of the resolution is as follows: "That the National Assembly notes with deep joy the fifteenth anniversary of the toppling of the tyrannical monarchy; welcomes the nationwide celebrations taking place to mark the anniversary; recognises the progress the nation has made recently as manifested by recent democratic elections for the Head of State; and repudiates any unpatriotic attempts to reintroduce monarchism."

Celebrations have marked the toppling of the monarchy

Boris Jorgen, the Populist politician who proposed the bill, commented: This resolution shows that there's no place in Endralon for discredited monarchism. The Republic has formed strong roots in this country and we will staunchly resist any foreign-inspired attempts to drag this country back to feudalism. Long live the Republic!"
Zanadu

Postby Zanadu » Fri May 21, 2010 1:26 pm

Republic of Endralon adopts new flag
October 2941

The National Assembly of Endralon has adopted a new flag, replacing the old monarchist version, thirty years after the toppling of the monarchy. The new flag features a stylised black pelican upon a solid yellow field.

The national flag of the Republic of Endralon

Prime Minister Boris Jorgen said: "This flag symbolises a fresh start for our great country. All politicians and citizens should now rally behind it and work together to create a more powerful, peaceful and prosperous Endralon."
Zanadu

Postby Zanadu » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:52 pm

Political domination sparks civil unrest
April 2948

Violent rioting has broken out across Endralon amid growing frustration at the role of the Continuing Committee, an influential grouping of Endralonian parties. Little is known about the clandestine group, which superficially appears to be little more than a political cabal. Members of the Continuing Committee have held sway over governmental posts for decades.

Riot police have been accused of heavy-handedness

Now disgruntled citizens have taken to the streets to voice their frustration. Major cities have been targeted by the demonstrators in an effort to cause maximum disruption. The most serious clashes occurred in the capital, Republica, where riot police ruthlessly subdued any violent opposition.

Said one young protester: "The police have been targeting protesters indiscriminately. They've even fired rubber bullets into the crowd. It's like living in a police state!"

Another said: "This cabal of parties effectively holds a veto over cabinet appointments. It's unfair!"

No member of the Continuing Committee was available for comment.
Zanadu

Postby Zanadu » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:18 pm

Support grows for restoration of the monarchy
June 2950

A majority of Endralonians support the restoration of the monarchy according to a national opinion poll. 58% of respondents favour monarchism, while only 36% support the republic. 6% expressed no view.

Government corruption and political intrigue have been cited as the main reasons behind the collapse in support for the republic.

Said one political analyst: "People have become disillusioned with the republic. When the monarchy was overthrown there was a great deal of hope and expectation. People thought the national situation would improve but instead things have deteriorated."

So far the only claimant to the vacant throne is Joseph Fortenohfiv, the current head of the House of Fortenohfiv, who is believed to have international backing from the International Monarchist League.

Ottokar Syldavia, head of the House of Syldavia, is rumoured to be considering mounting a challenge. The Syldavians have spent recent months cultivating domestic support.
Zanadu

Postby Zanadu » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:26 pm

Martial law proclaimed as civil war erupts
July 2964

King Ottokar has officially declared nationwide martial law in response to the beginning of an armed insurrection by Fortenohfiv supporters.

Ottokar announced Populist Proposition CX, declaring a state of martial law and suspending civil liberties until order is restored.

Military Police have seized vital government buildings and other strategic locations

The declaration of martial law could lead to the arrests without warrants of members of the dethroned Fortenohfiv family. Warrantless searches are also being conducted in residences and offices of politicians, mostly members of the Fortenohfiv Party and King's Hope Party.

Foreign Minister Marek Taylor said King Ottokar decided to declare martial law because "heavily armed rebels in the district of Moltus have established positions to resist government troops, thereby depriving the executive of its powers and prerogatives to enforce the laws of the land and to maintain public order and safety."
Zanadu

Next

Return to National News