Pontesi

National news threads that host the key national news outlets for each of the game’s countries.

Re: The Pontesian Enquirer

Postby Freelancer » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:07 pm

Security gears up to enforce SOE

Pontesian soldiers in front of the government house.

LERNA - The government will dispatch a combined force between security unit from Heimdall Global Security and the Pontesian Armed Forces of over 6,500 to maintain law and order in Poesy and Lerna during a growing threat of unrest from newly rising terrorist group believed to be connected to a group of newly formed political parties.

Roads around Government House, which is next to the residence of His Imperial Majesty Richard I, will be partly closed to vehicular traffic to "facilitate the officials involved in the operation". Acting government spokesman Patrick Walther said yesterday that intelligence showed that terrorist would attack at the premises of certain state offices including military barracks and homes of important figures. Mr. Walther urged anyone with information about possible acts of violence to alert authorities. He also asked the mass media to cover the state of emergency accurately and objectively, in order to prevent panic.

Army spokesman Colonel Stuart Karmet said 63 companies - 33 from the three Armed Forces branches and 30 from the Heimdall Global Security Quick Response Division - would be deployed to enforce the State of Emergency (SOE). Each company is staffed by about 100 officers or more - up to 150 for military units. The Cabinet on Tuesday invoked the SOE for Poesy and Lerna during the next 6 months

The Emergency Situation Resolving Committee, which will enforce the SOE, said some stretches of roads around Government House would be closed off. The officers involved in the peacekeeping operation would be armed with both non-lethal weapon like stun gun, baton, and rubber bullets while also carrying their standard firearms. Checkpoints would be set up in areas expected to be used by the terrorist in order to screen out people carrying weapons.

Heimdall Global Security unit patrolling the street inside the city of Poesy.
Freelancer

Postby Conallcernach » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:52 am

Tragedy as 16 are left dead after terrorist strikes
By Hable Strohlm

LERNA- Today Pontesi was devastated when terrorist attacks broke out in the nation’s capital leaving sixteen dead and more injured, among those killed in the attacks are three politicians. Andrew Reynard, minister of internal affairs and acting Head of the Emergency Situation Resolving Committee, Fr. Ioannes Copali, Dr. Filip Garcia and 13 armed soldiers were gunned down shortly before 5 pm yesterday.

The attack started when a rooftop sniper shot and killed Fr. Ioannes Copali of the Verititas Splendor party who publically spoke out against violence caused by the terrorist attacks on Wednesday. The sniper is believed to have been Amir Grunbaum, grandson of Rabbi Yitzhak Grunbaum, the extremist rabbi who received Cherem 26 years ago as of a result of his teaching of racism and hatred. Doctors are currently waiting on dental records before releasing a statement.

In a similar fashion Andrew Reynard was assassinated by Efraim Grunbaum who police have managed to take into custody and is currently awaiting trial. Grunbaum’s involvement in the terrorist attacks points to Rabbi Grunbaum’s cult as the perpetrators of the offensive. Rabbi Grunbaum has spoken out against the Pontesian government and its perpetrated “failure to see the Yiddish community as the true monarchs of this nation”.

Dr. Filip Garcia, another member of the VSP, was shot and killed at point blank by a masked assailant. Dr. Garcia recently published a book on the excommunication of Rabbi Grunbaum and his teachings, likely aggravating the cult. The assailant managed to escape will the help of four other gunmen who shot and killed thirteen soldiers and critically injured four soldiers as well as twenty-four civilians. Dr Garcia was only 24 years old.

The chair of the Vertitas Splendor Party has offered condolences to the families and friends of all victims, condemning the actions as “blood thirsty” and “grotesque”. The Vertitas Splendor party has promised to offer prayers for the families involved.

Rabbi Grunbaum and his clan’s location are unknown at present, absconding from their gated community pushing suspicion even further.

The military is increasing their presence in the capital to protect politicians and citizens from another assault.
Conallcernach

Postby Freelancer » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:04 am

Reynard alive, FP supporters arrested

Aftermath of the assassination attempt

LERNA - The confirmation from Alfred Barnhorf, spokesperson of the Heimdall Global Security, refutes unknown reports over the weekend that Andrew Reynard, Minister of Internal Affairs, had been killed.

"Allegedly, the news state that Andrew Reynard were killed during the assassination attempt yesterday by Efraim Grunbaum, but recent report from the hospital have confirm that Minister Reynard is still alive and well, but he will remain in Intensive Care Unit until the doctor clear him." said by Mr. Barnhorf. He also went on to said that 3 soldier were injured and only 1 were killed while 5 terrorist including Amir Grunbaum and Dr. Filip Garcia assassinator were confirmed death and Efraim Grunbaum were captured.

"Currently, our investigation team are interrogating the suspect and looking over the evidences. We have found an identification card and a membership card of the Freedom Party inside the jacket of one of the killed terrorist, but we will investigated further before coming to any conclusion. I urge the people to listen and follow the command of government unit and the Emergency Situation Resolving Committee while they are trying to captured this terrorist group."

Grand-Vizier General have stated that she will be taking the responsibility as head of the Emergency Situation Resolving Committee until such time that Mr. Reynard returned to full health.
Freelancer

Postby Conallcernach » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:04 pm

Nation suspects cover-up with Reynard’s death, autopsy leaked
Above: Two EMTs carrying the body of Andrew Reynard to G.V.G.J.C. Hospital yesterday.
LERNA – The nation has become more confused over the state of Andrew Reynard as photographs of the Member of Government being placed in a body bag and taken to hospital have surfaced from private documenters, numerous cell phone pictures and the video of a family vacationing from Wessex. Liking the prognosis of his death was the accidental release of Reynard’s autopsy by the G.V.G.J.C. Hospital yesterday. The autopsy details the death as a result of .308 caliber rifle shell which hit Reynard in the neck. The autopsy was signed by Dr. Paul Copeland. Dr. Copeland stated in a brief interview that he was not at liberty to discuss the autopsy until the government has contacted him.

Frank Edison, a political analyst who for over 20 years served with the PNN, Pontesi’s largest media outlet, has stated that he isn’t surprised to hear conflicting reports released by the government regarding the now apparent death of Reynard. “We’re currently in a state of emergency and the government doesn’t want the people to realize the how prepared these Jewish extremists are. And right now, we’re seeing the government blaming the Freedom Party with the terrorist attacks, but when I looked into the name, there haven’t been any members of the Freedom Party with that name, nor does the Freedom Party use membership cards. We’re currently seeing the Democrat party take a big hit in terms of support over the last few years, in the previous election their support dropped 21% and who did they lose it to? Nobodies! But at this rate I may have to fear for my credentials, but the government needs to be kept responsible, and not by terrorists, but by its citizens”.

The chair of the Verititas Splendor Party wrote to the Grand-Vizier General today calling on the government to respect the tragedy of the death of Dr. Filip Garcia. The Verititas Splendor Party has also released the closed circuit security film of the tragedy which took place in Dr. Garcia’s office. The film shows a masked gunman enter into the office carrying a hostage, believed to be Caren Whilters, Dr. Garcia’s secretary. The gunman yells at Garcia briefly until he fires four shots into him from across the desk, before releasing Whilters and fleeing. The chair has stated that the VSP will offer prayers that the Democracy Party will release an apology concerning the accusation of Garcia, author of The Catholic Theology of Peace as an assailant. A public funeral will be held for Dr. Garcia on Thursday.

The Freedom Party has also called a press conference to speak with media and to answering any questions about their supposed involvement in the violence, condemning the actions of terrorist parties as well as the suspicion of the government. The chair stated that he “…do not support terrorists and my heart goes out to those families who have suffered as a result of these brutal acts. The government has accused our party as being involved with these acts, however, as the non-interventionist party that we are, we do not need violence to overthrow a government for then we are a tyranny. We believe fully in the Constitution and in the election process.”

Phone polls are reporting that citizens are worried about the terrorist attacks and the actions of the government. In a phone poll of 5,347 citizens of Diar Elahmar, 78% felt that the government was not telling the truth about the state of Andrew Reynard, 7% trusted the government in its reports while 6% were unsure about the news received. The standard deviation of the survey was found to be 2.68% 19 times out of 20.
Conallcernach

Postby Freelancer » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:20 pm

OOC: Simple rule for RP, you control your own created characters. When I said he's not dead then unfortunately he is not. Learn it. And, I'm not your friend, you have absolutely no right to call me by my RL name.
IC:

VSP fraud exposed, Reynard make public appearance.

Reynard leaving the hospital

LERNA - After series of attempts to put nation into chaos following an assassination attempt against the Minister of Internal Affairs by the terrorist believed to be connected to the Freedom Party and the newly dubbed Coalition of Crashers, the rumor was put to a stop when Mr. Reynard left the hospital after 2 weeks of hospitalization. Mr. Reynard condemn the VSP for their attempt to create unrest in the nation and issued an immediate order that the chair of the VSP and the FP must report themselves to the HQ of the Emergency Situation Resolving Committee within 48 hours or face an arrest warrant.

Mr. Reynard, looking tired but in tact, left the General Metro Hospital yesterday before issuing a brief press statement about the situation from his home. "The Freedom Party and the Verititas Splendor Party have continued to take action without regard to the security and stability of the nation. I can assure you that anyone that are responsible for this attempt to put our nation into the state of chaos will be captured and put on trial. I am ordering the investigation into the fraud evidence of my alleged "death" by the Verititas Splendor Party and will take action to end this coward act against myself and the Empire. Until such time that I return to full health, I have discussed with the Grand-Vizier General and have asked her to allow me to appoint Leanne Megan, Head of Department of Intelligence, as acting Head of the Emergency Situation Resolving Committee"

The government and the General Metro Hospital then move to issued a statement denying the existence of Dr. Paul Copeland while questioning the fact that the name used to created this non-existence doctor is of a former Democrat Party leader. "VSP representative must accept their responsibility to the public when they created an evidence to further their political gain."
Freelancer

Postby Conallcernach » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:19 pm

OOC I'm not sure you understand your own rules for RP. You see, I cannot control your characters, but I could control terrorists, so while so long as your character is in a scenario in which they are not in my control (like in their regular office doing their regular paper work as would be expected of an elected official on a business day) and an outcome of a scenario which you designed (terrorist attacks) occurs and I say a sniper nails one of your gusies, you cannot say that the sniper was firing magic bullets or that his is able to talk while merely looking a little sick have taking a .308 to the neck.

What you did however was take a character of mine (Dr. Filip Garcia) and place him in a scenario which is out of his character (a bioethicist being a terrorist). In which, he was killed off in a different way that me (the owner of this character) had designed and which you (a person who does not control this character) has fabricated another story conflicting with my own and the character's morals.
Conallcernach

Postby Freelancer » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:01 am

OOC: You really have no idea how much laugh I have reading your post. Let me split it into part.

You see, I cannot control your characters, but I could control terrorists,

Agreed, and let me remind you that so far I have not written anything that said that the terrorist or the assassination attempt doesn't exist, but the facts remain that you have put my character into the situation that I don't allow from the beginning with, his death, then said that you are allowed to do that because it is the situation you have created? Sorry, but I don't think you even understand the RP rule.

What you did however was take a character of mine (Dr. Filip Garcia) and place him in a scenario which is out of his character (a bioethicist being a terrorist). In which, he was killed off in a different way that me (the owner of this character) had designed and which you (a person who does not control this character) has fabricated another story conflicting with my own and the character's morals.

Again, please reread the above message. No passage that said that your character is terrorist. And I haven't said he is dead or he is not death so I don't understand what exactly you're rambling about? I haven't even touch your character yet if you really read the post.
Freelancer

Postby Cold » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:00 pm

OOC: I think his confusion stems from a little grammar mistake you made, Freelancer.

"He also went on to said that 3 soldier were injured and only 1 were killed while 5 terrorist including Amir Grunbaum and Dr. Filip Garcia's assassinator were confirmed death and Efraim Grunbaum were captured."

He understood that Filip Garcia was a terrorist, and one of the five killed, instead of the man who actually assassinated Filip Garcia. I'd like to point out that just because a character says something happened, doesn't mean it happened. One of my character's could say that Vorona had planted nuclear bombs throughout the cities of Pontesi, but that doesn't mean it's true.
Cold

Postby Freelancer » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:34 pm

OOC: Ahh, that make sense. Thanks for that, Cold. :)

And for everyone information, I have decided to ignored all RP from the terrorist attack and left the state blank again. If the VSP decides to continue then it is his story, but I'm going to ignored it.
Freelancer

Postby IdioC » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:55 am

OOC: For the record though, people's characters are their own and only they have a say in what happens to them, unless prior agreement is made, a conclusion in line with common sense from a previously agreed situation dictates, a character contradicts something done previously and lands in hot water OR the laws of the nation result in military/police action.

Terrorist attacks in RP work with agreement as to who's going to kick it between people and I think this was the origin of Freelancer's complaint. You can do terrorist attacks on your own characters, but not on others' UNLESS there has been a prior agreement as to a character's demise made between you. Otherwise, for OOC reasons, it's not really fair to say at the drop of a hat, "I blew up a building, killing your dudes". I can see how Conallcernach can argue that the situation would probably have killed the character concerned but due to the work people put into characters, it's better to pre-determine with their creator if it's ok to send someone for a binary dirtnap.

EDIT: Sorry for the inadvertent gravedig. I forgot it had been so long since I got onto this area of the forum due to my internet troubles and it was flagged as "new". Unintentional.
What is that weird Jelbék language what I types with me computer buttons?

"Kae orzy sedrijohylakmek, megàmojylakjek, frjomimek. Kaerjoshu zri? Afrkmojad firja, Kae grzy Zykhiko ajozuo zri?"
IdioC

PreviousNext

Return to National News