Mordusia

National news threads that host the key national news outlets for each of the game’s countries.

Re: The Mordus Daily

Postby Luxis » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:45 am

Vinecci makes ARP Appeal

Peter Vinecci gives ARP Conference Speech in Icythe Harbor, Adubura

As there has been limited campaigning, we take you to the center-piece speech of the ARP's Campaign Strategy - the prime time speech of Peter Vinecci of Alliance Res Publica.

My Fellow Mordusians,

This campaign is not one about politicking. It is not one about posturing or corrupt politicians trying to get their way. This is a trying time for our nation, and it would be the height of injustice to not have a Government that represents your true, unfiltered interests at this time. This is about you guiding your leaders, giving them the support they need, or the correction you desire.

Alliance Res Publica has brought you everything it promised. We began by reforming the tax code, which used to tax the poorest at an alarming rate of 60%! We have since lowered this to 5%, making only the wealthiest among us pay the highest income tax of 20%.

We increased spending on higher education and our military. We pledge to protect and defend this nation at all costs. Your Prime Minister has not slept in several days and has been working endlessly to protect you and your children. This is our nation, and we will not be threatened. We will not stand down when Mordusian lives are on the line.

We promised you real judicial reforms, and you have it. A stream-lined system that gives everyone an equal shot at appeal. The Minister of Justice is a strong advocate for the common person's voice to be heard, and it has been granted.

But there still are things we need your help on. I wish I could tell you not to vote for our opponents based on what they believe, but that is a good question: what do they believe? I've heard of the government that governs least is best - but the party that votes not at all? Not on tax reform, not on a budget change, not on important treaties. Where is the opposition? Have they simply been on vacation in Gaduridos or something? Whatever the case may be, it is unacceptable.

We are asking for your vote to get your support for the Constitutional Reforms we seek. To expand the rights of citizenship to ALL Mordusians. This is our time. Vote for a stronger Mordusia. Vote for the Party with results. Vote ARP.
Alliance Res Public (Mordusia) - Inactive
United Katub Reformers (Beiteynu) - Active
Luxis

Postby Luxis » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:16 am

ARP Gains Seats, Still Shy of Two-thirds

The abrupt call for early elections has clearly paid off for Alliance Res Publica. Turnout remained completely depressed, basically mirroring the election before. One seat shy of the two-third margin, the Ceasarion League still holds a tangible check on amending the Mordusian Constitution.

Prime Minister Tvarivich's Office, when called, merely said that they were pleased with the results and would continue the work they have begun on retrieving the HMS Grace.

No member of the Cabinet of Mordusia has been made available for comment, neither has high-ranking ARP member Peter Vinecci. We'll keep you posted as the situation continues.
Luxis

Postby Luxis » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:59 pm

No Word from Gaduridos, Foreign Minister Gives Deadline

Foreign Minister Pram Inos is expected to give a press conference shortly that will halt all trade with the Loyal Kingdom of Gaduridos and Fotheringhay if certain steps are not taken shortly. With no word for nearly a day from any member of the Executive Cabinet of Gaduridos, there is increased domestic pressure on the Prime Minister to achieve results, while international pressures can only be increasing from the allies of Mordusia to get the HMS Grace returned.

We go now to the Press Conference.

Foreign Minister Pram Inos leads Press Conference

I am going to make a short statement that I hope will make our point clear, and I then will yield to questions from the Press.

No leader of the Loyal Kingdom of Gaduridos and Fotheringhay has had the decency to make a public appearance about this situation in well over 12 hours. Deadlines have come and gone, and we have done our best to keep our resolve in a diplomatic tone. We seek ever for negotiations to succeed. We urge the international community to see what Mordusia is done, and to see that our cause is true.

Since Gaduridos has not responded in kind to any of our humble requests, we must proceed to the course of non-violent action at this time. If we are not allowed to speak with members of the crew via video call within the next 12 hours, the Prime Minister and I will sign a statement authorizing the seizure of any and all trade vessels from the Loyal Kingdom of Gaduridos and Fotheringhay that enter Mordusian waters. No goods that are produced or that go through transit to Gaduridos will be accepted at our ports. We call on our Union Partners in Luthori and Alduria to join us in this stance.

I again appeal that we seek a peaceful resolution, but this has been an entirely unacceptable affair. The longer it draws on, the more incredulous it becomes. The Mordusian people can not sit idly by while their most cherished resource, our people, have been senselessly taken. And now our calls for diplomacy have been ignored.

I will now take your questions.

Reporter: Minister Inos, do you think that this threat will have any effect?

Inos: We are hoping that this is not a necessary step. It seems more than a reasonable response. I would have preferred to begin this stage sooner.

Reporter: But do you think it will work?

Inos: Listen, we are using every means at our disposal to get everyone on that ship back to Mordusia. This is one method. I, however, am not the leader of the Kingdom, so I cannot say what affects them. I would hope that a company would not turn down the profit that Mordusia offers. Next question.

Reporter: Minister, what would you say to the growing number of Mordusians who believe this is too little, too late?

Inos: Our Union Partners of Luthori and Alduria have assured us of their resolve. The Imperial Court has also urged us to take a diplomatic tone. We assumed, obviously incorrectly, that our diplomacy would be returned, in kind, by the Imperial East Terrans. This, however, is clearly not the case.

Reporter: Do you expect another deadline to have any effect, considering the previous one was ignored?

Inos: Obviously, Sir Thomas and Gaduridos will not respond to vague overtures and we felt the need to provide, ahead of time, a tangible punishment with the deadline. This, however, is not the only response we reserve to use should the deadline be ignored.

Reporter: Are you confirming reports that the navy has been put on high alert?

Inos: I cannot comment on ongoing military operations, next question.

Reporter: Minister Inos, why isn't the Prime Minister leading this Press Conference?

Inos: The PM will be speaking later. I am the Minister of Foreign Affairs, any reason I shouldn't be leading this conference? Alright, that's enough for questions at this time. We will be making statements as necessary over the course of the day, keeping you as informed as possible.
Luxis

Postby Luxis » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:49 pm

Is the Mordusian Navy Mobilizing?

The Mordus Daily has recently obtained information that suggests the Imperial Dominion may be engaging in a war games exercise that seeks to simulate the events that would unfold if Mordusia attempted a military effort to retrieve the HMS Grace and those on board.

The Imperial Dominion currently spends more than 2.4 Trillion Denarri on its military, which is the same as 7.6 Trillion GADs when the exchange rate is set in place. With nearly one-third of Mordusian naval vessels armed with high-grade explosives, chiefly nuclear warheads, it remains to be seen what options are being kept on the table for simulation and consideration.

Minister of Defence Girard Vinecci, son of Peter Vinecci, is known to advocate the use of all militaristic force in tense situations. During the campaign of 2874, Minister Vinecci was quoted as saying "diplomacy is only useful when you are negotiating the surrender of the nation you have defeated." The Mordus Daily wishes to point out that the Ministry of Defence has made no comment for the entire duration of the conflict.

When attempted to reach via phone call, the Ministry spokesmen said "The Prime Minister and the Minister of Foreign Affair's offices are dealing with public policy at this time"

With more rumors flooding in from the relatively smaller nation of Lodamun that they may consider sending naval aid and now issues concerning NATO, this situation may begin to escalate quickly. The 12-hour deadline firmly stands, according to Minister Inos' office, and the Minister has made it clear to indicate that the cessation of trade will not be the only punishment should the deadline pass.
Luxis

Postby Luxis » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:12 pm

Prime Minister Gives Press Conference following announced release

William Tvarivich rejoices at the return of the HMS Grace

I praise God that He has given the leaders within Gaduridos the wisdom and the decency to return our noble crewmen of the HMS Grace. We will have a parade in Rechtenburg immediately following their safe return! Mordusia shall do all within its power to ensure a safe return of its vessel and precious lifeblood.

As for other claims about the prison laborers on board that vessel, we shall have much to say about that in the coming days. Let me keep things simple at this, the Courts in Gaduridos do not grant or retract the nationality of any Mordusia; it is not within their power to do so. Since the Imperial Dominion has not retracted their nationality, and since we are the only authority in all of Terra that can grant or remove someone's nationality in Mordusia, then Gaduridos' claims are inherently false. I'm sure we'll be sitting down to discuss how to resolve the issue diplomatically, but we would like to remind Gaduridos that should they consider themselves the arbiters of who or who not is a Mordusian national, then they are clearly involving themselves in the sovereign affairs of Mordusia's domestic politics. Even a cursory reading of the treaty they entered voluntarily would suggest this violates both the letter and spirit of it.

Moving along, I would like to say that all proposed injunctions against Gaduridos are hereby withdrawn and I look forward to productive discussions with Sir Thomas.

Following his Press Conference, the Mordus Daily was made aware that the DEFCON level had been reduced from 2 'Heightened Readiness' to 4 'Increased Readiness'. This indicates there is confidence that the exchange will occur peacefully and soon. Minister of Justice Hildegard Rosenburg could be seen visibly crying in the audience at PM Tvarivich's Press Conference. Ms. Rosenburg's son is the Captain of the HMS Grace.
Luxis

Postby Luxis » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:15 pm

Minister Inos appeals to the IML

Minister of Foreign Affairs Pram Inos addresses reporters

Thank you for being here. I am here today to request that the International Monarchist League step in to solve the issues between Gaduridos and Mordusia. Any nation that falsely believes it has some moral high ground cannot be reasoned with through basic diplomacy.

We do this, because we feel that our peaceful options are limited. Gaduridos has, within its borders, a group of forceably taken Mordusians. As mutual members of the IML, it is the hope that this can be resolved peaceful through neutral arbiters. We cannot, nor will we, allow for native Mordusian nationals to be taken by any country. We repeat our appeals to the sovereign right of nations, which Gaduridos has pledged to support in Mordusia.

We hope that this can all go very smoothly and that Gaduridos can agree to achieve this fair and neutral litigation between the blood that brings us closer together.

We are glad to have our crew back home and safe, and we are thrilled to report that they are all doing very well. Of course, they were treated as common criminals back in Gaduridos - hardly what we'd call a "gentleman's" treatment, but they are, indeed, home.
Luxis

Postby Luxis » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:31 pm

Defence Minister Holds Press Conference

Defence Minister Girard Vinecci, 42, speaks at Press Conference

I just thought I'd like to respond to the interest measures undertaken by Gaduridos. It is the opinion of the Cabinet of Mordusia that if Gaduridos' Government truly wants to keep convicted child rapists, serial killers, and terrorists, then they have losts a few screws there. However, if any of these prison laborers attempt to return to Mordusia, they will be executed immediately. We protest the decision of the Kingdom as in violation of the laws of Mordusia, the domestic sovereignty of our nation, and we hereby urge them to halt the release of any of these convicts.

Just to display who Gaduridos has in their country now.

One Turigen Polan, who killed his mother, wife, and children, along with his later murders of two prison guards. He was forced into solitary confinement because he is a danger to all around him.

One Thomas Carter, who was a serial rapist of minors. This man confessed and was convicted of the raping of more than 17 young girls. Seventeen! And yet the all-knowing leaders of the Loyal Kingdom of Gaduridos and Fotheringhay think that what we did was inhumane.

Regine McTindle intentionally drowned her neighbor's baby then proceeded to drive a car over her own child.

Our psychologists and biologists have told us repeatedly that these men, among more than 2,000 others on board that ship, are virtually guaranteed to commit these crimes again. They have turned their back on their humanity. Releasing these prisoners will actually save us nearly 200 Million MRD!

In Gaduridos, these people would have faced death. In Mordusia, we offer them the chance for penance, to pay for their sins against mankind and perhaps contribute to the betterment of our nation and our people. Our appeal to the IML stands, however, and we ask for immediate action to halt the loss of our nationals.
Luxis

Postby Luxis » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:04 pm

Alliance Res Publica Sweeps Elections!

With turnout soaring to its highest level in two decades, the citizens of the Imperial Dominion of Mordusia headed to the polls and gave the ARP a large victory in both the parliamentary and the elections for Viceroy of Mordusia. Archbishop of the Holy Coptic Church of Mordusia, Cardinal Martin Streitem was elected with 99.88% of the vote, securing the endorsement of the Ceasarion League caused this to be a sweep. Only 0.8% of the Citizens voted for the Boer League's candidate Michael Blair.

Furthermore, in Parliamentary Elections, Alliance Res Publica increased its majority to 79 seats, an increase of 25 to put them with nearly 60% of the vote in the Imperial Diet. The Ceasarion League garnered enough votes to get the remaining 56 seats, with the newly forged Boer League not receiving enough of the vote to receive a seat in the Diet.
Luxis

Postby Luxis » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:05 am

Viceroy Martin Streitem Dodges Question of Treaty of Recognition

Archbishop Martin Streitem, Viceroy of Mordusia, today dodged several questions from reporters about whether or not the Imperial Dominion would be considering ratification of the Treaty for the Recognition of the Commonwealth of Yishelem and Beiteynu. Alliance Res Publica has been known to have increased division within its ranks about whether or not to support the republican sentiments of some citizens, as represented by the coming of the Conservative Party to Mordusia. Foreign Minister Pram Inos' office refused to comment on the ongoing situation.

The questions to the Viceroy are as follows:

Reporter: Viceroy Streitem, do you intend to follow in the footsteps of the fellow Imperial allies and seek ratification of the Treaty recognizing the Beiteynu Commonwealth?

Viceroy: Any form of international agreement will take a great deal of time and deliberation to understand its full implications. My office is reviewing the document.

Reporter: What is your opinion from what you've seen on the treaty?

Viceroy: There will be no comment on the Treaty at this time.
Luxis

Postby Luxis » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:47 pm

Res Publica Faction Leader Announces Presidency of ARP

Madeline Furstein, newly elected President of Alliance Res Publica

In a somewhat surprising turn of events, William Tvarivich, President of Alliance Res Publica since its re-emergence in the 60s, announced at the party convention he would not seek to lead the Party, but he would remain to run as Faction Leader of the ARP's Christian Alliance. This move caused the normally two-day convention to spread over a ten-day caucusing and voting time.

The results released for the public announce that all three factions unanimously rallied behind Madeline Furstein, who leads the Res Publica Faction of ARP. Ms. Furstein, who renounced her titles and claims of nobility in 2874, joined Alliance Res Publica. In her widely published "Treatise on the Dehumanization of Mankind," she argued vehemently against the life she was raised in, calling it a "silly game of powder politics, where the livelihood of the people are put last."

Some critics of ARP still point out that, while she renounced her claims, she still maintains a vast system of wealthy investments around the nation. And Ms. Furstein seems to have no ill will towards showing off, as she did the last night of the ARP Convention.

There is still no word from the ARP if Madeline Furstein will replace two-term Viceroy and former Finance Minister Archbishop Martin Streitem as the party's candidate in the next election.
Luxis

PreviousNext

Return to National News