Egelion

National news threads that host the key national news outlets for each of the game’s countries.

Re: Egelion Family News

Postby GreekIdiot » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:05 pm

OOC: What will happen with the First Military Command? I can freely take a maximum of 40% from Egelion's military but I was hoping you'd participate in this. Mr. Kovach and Mr. Virginatos together to Trigunia?
The Terran Times
Also being that guy who's pretending to be this guy.
GreekIdiot

Postby Opakidabar » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:22 pm

George S.K wrote:OOC: What will happen with the First Military Command? I can freely take a maximum of 40% from Egelion's military but I was hoping you'd participate in this. Mr. Kovach and Mr. Virginatos together to Trigunia?

I guess nothing bad will happen, I can always come back, besides I see no reason to RP civil war in nation where govt never realizes that :)
Opakidabar

Postby GreekIdiot » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:23 pm

Shit, everyone seems to be having the same opinion. Sadly. :(
The Terran Times
Also being that guy who's pretending to be this guy.
GreekIdiot

Postby CTerry » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:52 am

EPP wins again! Sarah Sharpe elected President.

For the fifth election in a row the Egelion People's Party has won an absolute majority in the Egelion Parliament. Long time President Ahmed Djibouti stepped down. A veteran of the political stage Djibouti had previously been Foreign Minister for more than a decade. While Egelion's Presidency has been, through successive reforms, neutered into a mostly ceremonial office new President Sarah Sharpe was still pleased at her election. "This victory is not just a victory for me" she said in her confirmation speech. "But for all Egelians."

Egelion had been ruled by a succession of right-wing governments until the EPP arrived. Long the dominant party in Egelion EPP rule has been noted for its stability, and pragmatic centre-left orientation.
CTerry

Postby livenda » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:20 am

Shocking victory! The Egelion Democrats take the senate.

In their first elections the newly formed Egelion Democrats took an astonishing 35% of the seats in the senate and became the largest party.
"This is an historic day. Not only for us, but for the Egelion people." said party chairman Simon Smith. "The people has shown the opinion and it is clear that change is what they want"
The newly formed party has been known for their right wing ideology, a great contrast to the left wing politics that have been dominating Egelion.

In the presidential election sitting President Sarah Sharpe won the second round in favour of the ED candidate Elmond Grey.
livenda

Postby CTerry » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:42 pm

Defeated EPP takes stock

At an extraordinary conference in January 2848 EPP members blamed the party leadership for the party's recent losses, its recent incapability to unite the diffuse coalition of ideological currents under its umbrella. Edward Burton a 20 year old party activist from Caille said: "I don't remember a time before EPP rule. When I was born the EPP was the majority party. The EPP has done so much good for this country. It has looked after the poor and reduced inequality, steered a realistic, progressive path in foreign policy, promoted a healthy economy, reduced taxes while raising health and education budgets but in the end it wasn't enough. The EPP became stoic, elitist, disconnected, it became the party of the establishment, but now it has been thrown out of the establishment, now it must become something new."

Many members cited victory in the Presidential elections by a huge margin as evidence of the EPP's continued capability to rally a mass section of the electorate. Nonetheless Egelian President Sarah Sharpe promised to step down at the end of her term, despite her renewed mandate. Despite this being her second term Sharpe cited the need for a 'generational shift' in the party's leadership, and the requirement for a new generation of leaders.

Much argument within the EPP now lies in what kind of party to be. Whether to remain a mass catch-all party of the centre-left attempting to broadly reach out to all groups, a project that, with the fragmentation of Egelion's political scene now seems unlikely, or whether to aim for a new party base.

Reverend Ian Jones of the party's Christian Left faction has been particularly vocal in voicing the need for, in his words, "A party based on the true word of Christ. Not eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth, not persecution of homosexuals, but a party based upon forgiveness, and love of one's neighbour. A party that supports stewardship of the Earth, International Brotherhood, Subsidiarity, national Solidarity and forgiveness."

Others are opposed to this view. "If the Christian Left platform takes over the party, I'll leave." Says Samantha Carr, 25 from Libertaria. "Its not like there wouldn't be a place for me in the SDLP. I joined a party that was tolerant of religion, that believed in religious freedom. I didn't join a party that WAS religious, even if some of the party members desired that. For me, if the Christian Left wins, the EPP dies that day. Perhaps it already died, in October, and now we are just dealing with how to bury the corpse of something that was once so great, and now is gone."

It is not uncommon to hear statements like this at the EPP congress. The mood is stoic. Whereas previous EPP conferences had been filled with triumphialist rhetoric, national anthem sing-a-longs, and declarations of solidarity the mood here is depressed. The party activists seem lost. Everyone has an idea of what went wrong. The party went too far to the right, it went too far to the left, it lost its radicalism, it became occasionally unpredictable. For these activists the EPP defeat cuts right to the heart of who they are. Many cannot remember a time before EPP rule. For many the EPP IS Egelion, a vote for them a sign of patriotism. Now Egelion has betrayed it. Or was it the EPP that betrayed Egelion. Whatever arises out of this congress will not be anything like what came before.
CTerry

Postby eadvveard » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:18 pm

SDLP falls to third in electoral disappointment

In the election of 2847, The SDLP's fortunes continued to fall as it fell to third behind the long rule Egelion People's Party and the upstart Egelion Democrats. While the worst electoral result since its initial election contest (then running as the Unity Party), the SDLP has taken the unprecedented step of attempting to form a coalition with the right-wing Egelion Democrats. An unlikely union, however the SDLP feels it best to attempt to form a working coalition rather than forcing an nuecessary election so soon.
eadvveard

Postby livenda » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:35 pm

Dissapointed Smith resigns, Harold Grey takes over the Egelion Democrats
New party chairman Harold Grey with his wife Sonya at the ED congress.

The mood at the latest ED congress was low, for two straight elections the party had lost seats, and they were no longer the largest party. What was most chocking for the party was that they had lost most of their supporters from Dul Kinea, the party's home province. As the congress continued it was clear that chairman and founder Simon Smith had lost his support in the party and he unwillingly resigned.
"Our party is a young one, but has already faced deep dissapointments [...] Even though I still agree with my plans and I believe they would have given results in the end, I must accept that my fellow party members feel different. I hope for my successor to lead the ED back to our earlier glory and wish him the best of luck" Smith said during his final speech.

After a vote the new chairman was announced as Harold Grey, another founder. Grey had served as Minister of Finance in the coalition government headed by the Egelion Democrats and had from the beginning been a big opponent to Smith's liberal changes. Chairman Grey promised to make changes in the party and return to their conservative roots that had given them the magnificent victory in 2847.
livenda

Postby eadvveard » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:44 am

Revolution in Egelion?

With the rest of the Keris falling to communist governments, fears that Egelion is next are rampant. The Government of Caille has announced that two trucks full of arms were seized at the boarder of Nou Endralon last month. The government could not say the destination of the trucks, but could only speculate that they were destined for splinter groups of the Egelion Leftist Front.

Protestors filled the streets of Nordland chanting anti-leftist rants "Our nation has already suffered from communist governments in the past, we need not suffer them again" said one protester, draped in the green and white colors of the Egelion Democracts. "The SDLP and ELF both are in on this" stated another woman, "social democrats are just communists in disguise. The CSPP should be ashamed to work with them!"

While there has yet to be any comment the ELF, Prime MInister Franklin Smith of the SDLP had this to say:
"The government of Egelion is, of course, taking this matter very seriously. Interior Minister Aaron James and Foriegn Minister Hugo Cardenas have both told me they are working on the situation intently. While we all understand the concern of Cailleans, it is misplaced and unwise to make any rash decisions concerning our continental neighbors. The SDLP and ELF are decidedly against any communist take-over and will take a harsh stand against any group calling for a united communist Keris state."

While no comment has come from the ED government currently governing Caille, many have noted that they have refused to quell any anti-leftist rhetoric. With sinking poll numbers in recent elections, some even have come to question the Caillean government's statement as there had been no previous sign of pro-KCCP sentiment in any active movement in Egelion.
eadvveard

Postby livenda » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:42 pm

Governor Baldursson attacking the government.
With the increase in demonstrations and anti-left protests Vidar Baldursson, governor of Caille, has addressed the issue in a public speech from the government building in Nordland.

He said amongst other that "It is not clear where the weapons where delivered but we can assume that they were headed for communistic rebel groups" he furthermore accused the sitting government of "taking no action against the rising communistic threat to our nation".

Baldursson's speech was met with mixed reactions from the Egelion Democrats headquarters. Chairman Harold Grey supported Baldursson and promised that the ED would continue their fight against the revolutionary elements. Others, such as former chairman Simon Smith, accused Baldursson of trying to split the nation.
"The danger may not be as big as we think, but none the less we must stand united" said Smith. "I have worked with the SDLP and I know that no matter what I feel about their politics, they are reliable and not communists."

Already has schisms been created in the party lines and the question of the Egelion Democrats future lies heavy in the air.
livenda

PreviousNext

Return to National News