Hobrazia

National news threads that host the key national news outlets for each of the game’s countries.

Re: Hobrazia

Postby jellybean » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:07 pm

Hexed Priest Dies
February 4912

The firebrand priest Fr Yuriy Chkadua died yesterday, apparently of a heart attack. Although Fr Chkadua's age and physical condition would make such a death unsurprising under normal circumstances, Chkadua's death comes soon after he was hexed by pagans in Lodamun.

Fr. Yu, as he was affectionately known by his followers, was known for his prolific condemnations of paganism, alternative religious practices, and contemporary culture. At 56, Chkadua suffered from a variety of minor health problems that may have triggered the heart attack. An autopsy at the state morgue revealed no apparent foul play or signs of anything unusual.

Still, the death's timing has caused distress among many Hosians. Bookstores across Hobrazia have pulled Ckhadua's works from their shelves, while demand for protective blessings has skyrocketed. Out of concern for their safety, a prominent social media group dedicated to Fr. Yu has shut down, with group administrators citing fear over pagans cursing group members.

Chkadua left behind a wife, five children, and eight grandchildren. A public funeral will be held at Chkadua's home village of Kastal, Kiduran. A police presence is expected to prevent any attempted vandalism by the late priest's detractors.

Vakhtanid Technical Institute seeks to make Hobrazia Terra's premier mathematical power
December 4912

The Mathematical Excellence Initiative, funded by the estate of Prince Anastasius through the private Vakhtanid Technical Institute, aims to promote mathematical achievement in Hobrazia.

"Great mathematical discoveries can be produced with very few resources - only a sharp mind and a sharp pencil," said Dr. Péter Lajos, an Endralonian-born mathematician who serves as a professor at the Institute. "Hobrazia is perfectly poised to become a world leader in mathematics. All it takes is investment in education and a strong strategic plan."

Hoping to discover - or build - mathematical talent at a young age, the Initiative will invest in primary-through-tertiary mathematical education, hold a series of youth-centered mathematics competitions, and promote popular interest in the subject by creating entertaining books and films. University students who express desire and potential for mathematical achievement will be granted extensive undergraduate and graduate scholarships to study math and related subjects, like physics and economics. Finally, the Vakhtanid Prize for Achievement will be awarded annually to a deserving Hobrazian mathematician and carry with it a significant monetary award.

Zardic Art Exhibit to open at Hobrazian National Museum
August 4913

The University of Muzal K'alak'i School of Zardic Studies plans to open a temporary art exhibit at the Hobrazian National Museum in Astoria. The exhibit, which will last from October 4913 to September 4914, will feature classical and contemporary art from across the Augustine Empire, particularly Zardugal and the former province of Cobura. Several prominent works have been obtained on a loan from private and public collections in Zardugal, and the exhibit will be accompanied by a series of lectures and short documentaries by experts on Zardic culture.

The Museum's chief curator Gwne Pashtikovy expressed her hope that the exhibit would be well-attended by the public, calling it "the first of its kind" in Hobrazia. "Hopefully this will simply be the first step toward a broader and deeper Hobrazian engagement with world cultures."

Source of Muzalpox discovered
August 4913

Researchers at the Vakhtanid Technical Institute have traced the source of "Muzalpox," a disease that causes excessive sleepiness, to a fungus found in the caves of Muzalkaz. Ingesting the fungus's spores lead some people to develop a long-term, low-intensity infection. Although rarely debilitating, the infection causes sufferers to fall asleep easily, sleep deeply, and crave sleep even when well-rested during daylight hours.

"We believe this disease has actually been with us for some time," said Dr. Mamish Yanok, who led the research team that discovered the fungus. "But only recently have the Muzalkaz caves been opened to the general public, which has caused an increase in cases has attracted the interest of the medical community."

The fungus, dubbed Caverna veterna, is not known to be extant anywhere else on Terra.

The Muzalkaz National Park has closed the caves as a precaution, and they are unlikely to open soon. No treatment for Muzalpox exists, although the VTI team that identified the fungus are working on developing a cure. In the meantime, Dr Yanok recommends wearing a mask. "I don't believe the caves will be completely inaccessible, but I'd recommend anyone entering them wear an air filter to prevent ingesting spores."

The Hobrazian Development Corporation is investigating the fungus for potential pharmaceutical applications and has applied for a permit to explore the caves.

Conservationists struggle to resettle wildlife displaced in Zargundia
August 4913

Although increased mining and drilling in Zargundia has created substantial economic opportunities in Hobrazia, some are concerned that resource development has inflicted a great environmental cost.

Over 50 new mines and oil drilling sites have been constructed in Zargundia since 4900, when Dorvish troops and anti-Fascist partisans targeted resource extraction infrastructure. The increased activity has caused the destruction of thousands of acres of habitat, displacing large numbers of wildlife.

Zargundia Wild, a conservationist organization in the Western region, has focused its efforts on rehabilitating injured and displaced wildlife and helping to relocate animals to sanctuaries across Hobrazia. The group operates a 600 acre sanctuary outside the regional capital of Camaero, but the site is inadequate for the needs of wildlife.

Conservationist Elena Tskitishvili called on Prime Minister Qeit Dagovy to pursue stricter regulations and to require natural resource companies to help fund wildlife aid organizations. "Our biodiversity is just as much a resource as our minerals," she told Radio Free Hobrazia. In the background, a lynx that had ingested tainted runoff water from a nearby mine was being treated. "We do everything we can, but it's doubtful she'll survive the night."

Our reporter also interviewed Zargundia resident Pakizə Rəşadli, whose home is only a few miles away from a strip mine that was opened in 4909. Rəşadli agreed with imposing new conditions: while her formerly beautiful surroundings had been replaced by clear-cut fields and dirt construction roads, she argued that the economic benefits outweighed environmental cost. "My son works at the mine. He makes a good living and is close to me - something that never could have happened before ZRG. We should be concerned about our livelihoods, our futures, more than we should be about a few animals."
jellybean

Postby jellybean » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:32 am

Deltarian agent captured in Zargundia
October 4913

The Territorial Defense Corps has captured a Deltarian national accused of spying in rural Zargundia. The possible spy was spotted by a hunter, who radioed authorities and reported seeing a strangely-dressed man without typical hunting equipment and speaking a foreign language. A TDC squad was deployed to the location and quickly captured the man, who is being held in a Camaero detainment facility for questioning. The hunter believed he saw at least 2 other operatives, and authorities are urging all Hobrazians in the area to keep an eye out for unusual or suspicious activity. If you see something, say something.

The government has confirmed that the captured operative appears to be from the Deltarian Federation, but has not released additional details.
jellybean

Postby jellybean » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:39 am

Artillery shell fired at Malivia "by accident," says Gelashvili
October 4913

Defense Minister Maia Gelashvili has confirmed that Hobrazia did not intentionally fire ordinance into Malivia. Confusion and panic spread on social media this morning as a defensive artillery installation fired a single shot across the border into Malivia, apparently by mistake. "We had absolutely no intention of firing on Malivia. The artillery gun was fired completely by accident, by a newly-trained gunnery crew that was attempting to clean the equipment. Again, no military official ordered that the gun be fired." The servicemembers involved have been pulled from active duty pending investigation, and the Hobrazian Land Force has already issued a formal reprimand.

Gelashvili commented that the government was unaware of any damage to persons or property, and that they believe the shell landed in an unpopulated forest. Foreign Affairs Minister Yeganÿ Zadeh announced that Hobrazia would be reaching out to Malivia to offer their apology for the error and compensate the Malivians if any substantial damage was committed.
jellybean

Postby jellybean » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:57 pm

The Hobrazian Institute of Economics: a joint project of the University of Muzal K'alak'i and the Hobrazian Development Corporation

Inside Hobrazia's Brain Drain Problem
March 4914

Over the past decade, almost 100,000 native-born Hobrazians have emigrated to more developed countries, particularly Narikaton & Darnussia, Hobrazia's Western neighbor, and Endralon, the country's closest trading partner. The emigrants are largely not seeking to claw their way out of poverty, but are actually better-educated and richer than the average Hobrazian. It's part of a phenomenon called "human capital flight," better known as "brain drain:" as domestic institutions provide better training for citizens, those persons take advantage of their newfound skill sets to obtain better-paying jobs in more comfortable environments abroad. Although human development initiatives have found considerable success in improving literacy, educational attainment, and economic security, they have also pulled some of Hobrazia's highest achievers away from their home.

Some of these emigrants reported a feeling that Hobrazia's development was "too slow" for their personal goals: "I just know that I can get a better job and enjoy more of life's luxuries in Endralon. Even if I got a raise back home, a bigger paycheck can't buy better parks, more reliable utilities, or nicer public transit. We always hear leaders say that 'Hobrazia's future is bright,' but that future is coming too slowly for me." said Bakur Zurabiani, a 26-year-old civil engineering graduate who recently moved from his family home of Muzal K'alak'i to Hugamest. Zurabiani is not alone: almost a quarter of Hobrazia's 4915 class is expected to emigrate.

Culture plays a role too. For Marika Arziani, a young marketing professional, Hobrazian culture is too conservative. "I used to be in the Traditionalist Party youth wing," she said in an interview. "But as I entered the wider world, I realized how backwards Hobrazian culture is. I feel it excludes young people, particularly young women. That's why I moved to Doressa - it's so much freer and more open here. I'm free to be who I want to be without all the judgment. Plus, people here actually care about the environment!" Arziana, who is in Narikaton & Darnussia on a work visa, plans to naturalize and then run for office on the National Green Party ticket. Others, like salesman Simon Zalkaliani, cited concerns over safety: "I grew up on the Malivian border, and I don't want to go die in a war. I just want my family to be safe. That's why I'm applying for a work visa in Endralon."

When asked what most motivated them to emigrate from Hobrazia, a plurality of emigrants answered that they sought a better standard of living.

Not all university graduates plan to leave. Sopio Iashvili, an environmental studies major who is studying abroad in Lodamun, commented that she "loves Hobrazia too much to move away permanently." Iashvili "came to Lodamun to learn what we can do better, and there are some things I like more here. But my blood is Hobrazian, through-and-through." Iashvili joins the approximately 30% of out-of-country Hobrazians who eventually plan to return home:

Hobrazians residing abroad were asked if they planned to return to Hobrazia.

Government and business leaders are aware of the problem, with Prime Minister Qeit Dagovy referring to it as "one of the most pressing issues we have to deal with." Among politicians, planned responses to the problem vary from a hard line stance that favors closing borders to the more moderate position of encouraging long-term residence. Dagovy, who falls firmly in the latter, has called for economic reforms that will reduce unemployment, raise wages, and invest in greater infrastructure. However, Dagovy - a proponent of mining and natural resource industries - has remained silent on the concern many emigrants have for the pace of environmental destruction in Hobrazia. A few green-leaning dissenters, like MP Daniel Bakhia (T - Stormereti) have argued that any plan to address brain drain must also enact more stringent environmental protections. "We know that many of those who choose to leave do so because of unsafe waters, polluted air, or just the feeling of sadness they feel upon seeing de-forestation," said Bakhia in a recent address to Parliament.

Dagovy's leadership has also faced pressure from more conservative politicians. Eli Ochiauri, Governor of Zargundia (T), has criticized Prime Minister Dagovy and President Abraam Giorgadze for what he says is a lax response to the problem. "Our relationship with foreign powers is killing us," said Ochiauri. "Why should we invest millions in better schools and training opportunities if those we help are just going to go strengthen another nation? It's a losing proposition. We're not investing, we're giving away all that funding. We have to ensure our people stay our people." Ochiauri has been a prominent voice calling for stricter border controls and the imposition of emigration quotas that would limit how many Hobrazians can move abroad.

For Kira Licheli, an Associate Vice-President at the Hobrazian Development Corporation's Engineering Divison, the solution is twofold: stricter emigration controls and a more attractive domestic situation. Sympathetic to conservatives like Ochiauri, Licheli recognizes that she lacks the ability to decide policy: "Since I can't implement those controls myself, I'm addressing the problem by offering better employment packages and by tying our scholarships - which fund the education of many of our engineers - to a condition that the recipient stay in the country for at least 5 years after graduation. Research shows that if we can keep people here until they start a family, they won't move away." Licheli's primary concern is economic. "Brain drain costs our company a huge sum. In the decade I've had this job, I've seen some of the best engineers at HDC leave the country. Every time that happens, we not only lose their talent, but we have to spend money on recruitment and hiring only to pull in someone less skilled. It's imperative that we convince our top engineers to remain in the country and with our company."

As of now, neither government nor the private sector have been able to stem the flow of educated, skilled workers out of Hobrazia. Indeed, the problem is only growing worse as Hobrazia's overall economic situation improves and more families are lifted out of poverty - granting them the resources to move and communicate internationally. By 4924, between a third and a half of new university graduates may choose to emigrate. No matter their solution, the government must act quickly.
jellybean

Postby Aquinas » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:16 am

Aquinas

Postby jellybean » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:47 am

Knockoffs of Borocube toy proliferate
June 4914

Since Boros Creative Group released the Borocube, a plastic brick toy aimed at children, the toy has become a staple of Hobrazian households. With Borocube's meteoric rise, however, has come a series of companies that seek to confuse consumers and exploit their a desire for cheaper products. Tiqe Kadyzhevy, a Deltarian entrepreneur who owns a chain of drive-thru restaurants in southern Hobrazia, has created the most successful attempt to capture Borocube's magic: the HobbyBrick. HobbyBrick toys are cheaper than Borocube toys in both price and quality, with lower quality controls and a low-grade plastic that degrades quickly and is prone to breakages. Kadyzhevy has successfully placed his toys on shelves across Hobrazia, but has faced criticism from consumer advocacy groups. "I'm not doing anything wrong - I'm simply improving on an idea!" said Kadyzehvy. Tina Sabauri, a Muzal K'alak'i mother, disagreed: "I bought a HobbyBrick set completely on accident, and my children hated it. This toy exists only to trick those of us who don't know better into buying an inferior product!"

Consumer advocacy groups have pressured the Ministry of Trade to ban Borocube knockoffs, but a Ministry spokeswoman pointed out that the copycat businesses were not technically breaking the law and thus could not be restricted by the government.

As for Kadyzhevy, he plans to expand his business by exporting HobbyCube to foreign countries. "I think there's a real market here. I can't wait to see who buys from us!"

The HobbyBrick "Mega Builders" set

Zadeh: Talks with Malivia off the table, but anti-commmunism may reveal new shared interests
June 4914

Foreign Affairs Minister Yegany Zadeh confirmed at a press conference that Hobrazia had no plans to join talks with Malivia or to re-establish formal relations. "Experience has proven that there is simply no point in wasting our time trying to reach an agreement," said Zadeh in a statement. "Hobrazia will continue our policy of simply showing a strong defense, but not budging on Malivia's absurd claims." Zadeh did express his "deepest regrets" for the mistaken artillery fire aimed at Malivia.

However, Zadeh ended the conference on a hopeful note, saying that Malivia's recent stand against Deltarian communism "could provide a bridge for new understandings." President Abram Giorgadze and Prime Minister Qeit Dagovy have both made anti-communism a feature of their government, and Malivia's positioning along similar lines could create opportunities for smoothing Hobrazian-Malivian relations.

DarVani Auto releases new luxury car
June 4914

Hobrazian automobile manufacturer DarVani Auto has released a new luxury automobile - the first of its kind to be designed and manufactured in Hobrazia. The Upaso Deluxe will represent the heights of luxury cars in Hobrazia. Only a select number will be produced, which the company hopes will cultivate an elite image and drive interest. Demand for the car has already exceeded supply, but prospective new customers can choose to join a wait list.

The Upaso Deluxe, "Hobrazia's finest automobile"

DarVani plans to produce the Upaso Lite next year, which will be sold more broadly and cheaply but will lack luxury features such as a radio or back seats.

String of robberies in Tsminda T'omas
June 4914

A strange rise in crime has alarmed authorities in Tsminda T'omas. Over the past two weeks, eight separate grocery stores have been robbed - but thieves have taken the unusual step of clearing out the stores' fruit selection. While safes and cash registers appear to be the primary targets, most grocery stores keep minimal cash overnight precisely to prevent major losses. The disappearance of fruit has confounded police. "Robbers typically try to get in and out as quickly as possible, without distractions," commented municipal police chief Kokhta Mikeladze. "Taking the time to steal all the fruit in a store is highly unusual." Police are unsure at this time whether the robberies have been committed by one person or group or persons, or if media attention has led to copycat robberies. Either way, city police are on high alert and hope to catch the thieves before they can cause further damage.

Luthorian cult spreads to Hobrazia
June 4914

The Luthori-based "Path to Paradise's Gates" cult has apparently gained its first followers in Hobrazia. Led by the enigmatic - and, according to mainstream popular media, deranged - William Gardener, the cult first gained a footing in a few small border towns and has since spread across Kiduran, Muzalkaz, and Zargundia. Approximately 2,000 Hobrazians now identify as belonging to the group, most of them converts from the establishment Hobrazian Orthodox Church. Ecclesial authorities in both the Hobrazian Orthodox Church and the Hobaist community have issued a rare joint statement condemning the group as a "dangerous cult" that "entraps its followers" and urging the government to "put a stop to its spread." President Abram Giorgadze himself responded to the petition, stating that while he "did not agree with Gardener personally," Hobrazia's freedom of religious laws make it "impossible" for the government to prevent evangelism.

Ministry of Science to lead SETI initative
June 4914

Minister of Science Vera Lomidze announced today that Hobrazia was planning to lead the search for contact with extraterrestrials. "For centuries, people across Terra have believed that aliens have been in contact with them. I personally think they're right," said Lomidze. The new government-funded Extraterrestial Contact Initative (ECI), headquartered in Brentaro, will seek to employ a variety of means to locate and contact extra-Terran entitites, whether they come from a different planet or from a different dimension. The ECI will be housed in a newly-constructed facility that includes a planetarium and advanced space listening arrays. In addition to the usual scientific methods, Lomidze also plans to employ psychics and even a couple of mystics contracted from Lodamun "to explore non-traditional methods of communication."

Hobrazia makes plans to dam Zurmukht'i River
June 4914

The Hobrazian Development Corporation plans to construct a dam on the Zurmukht'i River, a major river that flows from the Arszan Mountains across the Hobrazia-Luthori border and into the Bay of Luthor. The dam is part of HDC's green energy initiative, which seeks to slowly reduce Hobrazia's dependence on fossil fuels and provide more durable and lasting sources of power. Dam construction will begin in 4915, and is expected to produce a significant amount of electricity while also creating a new sport fishing opportunity for tourists. Environmentalists are divided on the dam, with some applauding the shift to cleaner energy with others pointing out the environmentally destructive qualities of dams and raising concerns about the southern Luthori watershed.
jellybean

Postby colonelvesica » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:51 pm

The Last of his Name
colonelvesica

Postby jellybean » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:31 pm

jellybean

Postby Aquinas » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:16 am

Aquinas

Postby jellybean » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:18 am

Parliament set to ratify the Samep'o Accords
June 4915

The Hobrazian Parliament has commenced voting on the Samep'o Accords, which are expected to pass by a wide margin. The Accords establish a power-sharing agreement between Hosian and Hobaist Hobrazians in an attempt to resolve long-standing tensions between the two religions. The Accords will designate certain ministerial and parliamentarian posts to the two religions, govern inter-religious relations, end the Hobrazian Orthodox Church status as official state religion, repeal the controversial Patarava Act, and finally install Anastasius Vakhtanid as Mepe (King) of Hobrazia. Anastasius's reign will be purely ceremonial: while his dynasty will maintain a certain advisory role and be funded by the state, the Mepe will hold no formal power and Hobrazia will remain a Republic.

Prime Minister Qeit Dagovy, who masterminded the Samep'o Accords, was thrilled at the culmination of years of work. "I believe this represents a major step forward for our people. For too long Hobrazia has been pushed and pulled by either Hosians or Hobaists, but this agreement will put an end to our disagreements. Today's vote will lead us to a brighter, more equal future."

PM Dagovy presides over debate on the Samep'o Accords

The Samep'o Accords were negotiated over the course of the last several months by government leaders, Hobrazian Orthodox bishops, and Hobaist arch-shamans in Samepo K'alak'i, Stormereti. Although both Hosian and pagan faith communities chafed under some of the restrictions imposed by the Samep'o Accords, careful leadership and a shared hope for future peace led the two groups to compromise. As Hobrazian Orthodox Patriarch Ioane Khutsishvili commented at a press conference, "Hobrazians of all religions must find a way past our differences for the sake of our nation."

Maisuradze Group releases new craft gin
June 4915

Maisuradze Group has announced the release of Arszan Gin, named after West Hobrazia's famous mountain range. The gin will be produced in small batches and feature a unique blend of Hobrazian herbs, giving the spirit a distinctively Hobrazian flavor profile. Eduard Maisuradze, who created the gin recipe himself, expressed hopes that Arszan Gin would become a staple of both domestic and foreign cocktail menus.

Beloved children's author dies
June 4915

Popular children's book author Natalia Ilurdize passed away in her Stormerti home after years of struggling with lung cancer. Ilurdize wrote the nationally-loved series The Golden Elephant, which has become a staple of Hobrazian youth literature and even achieved some international success. Featuring the clumsy but lovable Eli the Elephant, the series explored a number of youth-related themes and spawned a series of television and movie adaptations. The books are standard reading in schools and are a staple in any Hobrazian home. Ilurdize's public funeral is expected to draw thousands of attendees.

Hobrazian Media Group to acquire Radio Free Hobrazia
June 4915

Media conglomerate Hobrazian Media Group (HMG) is purchasing Radio Free Hobrazia as part of a planned expansion into informational and current affairs programming. HMG, which is owned in part by the Endralonian-based Népszerű Média Vállalat (Popular Media Group), already owns the popular streaming service Pilmadi, Marqaro Films (the nation's largest movie studio), and Sibrdzne (a nationally-recognized educational video service), and the acquisition of RFH will allow the Group to further expand its offerings. The firm's CEO, Avi Rokva, promised that "Hobrazian Media Group will continue to offer a world-quality news service to all citizens."

Editor's note: Radio Free Hobrazia will continue to report only the truth about events in Hobrazia and the world. We are committed to the free exchange of information and to serving the Hobrazian people. We do not expect any drop in quality of reporting, and believe that HMG's purchase will only bring new opportunities to share exciting, valuable content. We look forward to continuing our relationship with you, the public.
jellybean

PreviousNext

Return to National News