Yingdala

National news threads that host the key national news outlets for each of the game’s countries.

Re: Great Indralan Gazette

Postby Wu Han » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:19 pm

Headlines at a Glance
Today's News
TIAN'AN, HAN - 4 August 4275

Huang Zitao Joins Nation in Mourning Song Yi After Slaying
Huang delivered remarks in National Conference today

Today the leader of the Lotus Party and Leader of the Official Opposition made remarks in the National Conference following the assassination of Republican Party Leader Song Yi in Rural Shu yesterday. Speaking to the legislature, Huang said in part:
I know all my colleagues in this building, and all Indralans are mourning the loss of Song Yi. It's a deep loss for the country because Ms. Song was an individual who had a lot of resilience and a lot of guts, and she was relentless in her fight to make a better world and a better Indrala. While we may have had policy disagreements, anyone who has debated with her over the years could not possibly deny her love for our country. But we also must be salient of the sharp rise in political violence recently, with the acid bomb which took the life of Lai Wiming, and this most recent horrendous attack. While we grieve the loss of Ms. Song, we must redouble our efforts to participate in our political system with civility. To do anything short of that would be to dishonour Ms. Song's legacy.

It is expected that a state funeral will be held for Ms. Song in the coming week.

Shi Yawen Institute for Democracy Studies Merges with Kaizhou National University
"A big win for both parties" claims the Dean of KNU

Dean of Kaizhou National University Ma Sichun declared that the merger is "A big win for both parties" after the University and the Shi Yawen Institute for Democracy Studies made a deal which would see the Institute becoming part of the University's faculty of political science. Dean Nguyen Thanh Thai of the Institute cited the superior research funding of KNU as part of the reason for the merger.
(he/him)
Current: Cildania
Former: Listed Here
Wu Han

Postby TreeHugger » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Xuan Shuren Elected Leader of Republicans
Party looks to move forward with unity and passion

Newly elected leader of the Republicans Xuan Shuren

October 21, 4275
[TIAN’AN]: The Republicans held their leadership vote in the Wung Pai Conference Hall of Tian’an on Thursday. The hall was filled with bright orange balloons and flowers, as well as a candle memorial for Song Yi. The party members gathered to vote for the only two living leadership contestants left: Justice Critic Xuan Shuren and Orphan Deng Jia. A slightly somber mood made the air feel heavy in the convention hall, but after each candidate made their final pitch to voters with a showcase and debate, it was time to vote.

Members voted online as well as through the mail in the week preceding the convention, however the party wanted live voters in the hall to make the results more captivating. This, as well as a vibrant light show and stunning visuals can be credited to Jai Pen, the media director for the Republicans.
I wanted to make this convention three things: Sexy, Respectful, and Modern… I have accomplished all three.

At 6:00pm the results were revealed, and Xuan Shuren was announced as the new leader of the Republicans with 87% percent of the vote to Deng Jia’s 13%. Cheers erupted and fireworks went off in the harbour of Tian’an where the overflow of party members were viewing the results on a large screen. Xuan Shuren’s wife and kids rushed onto the stage to congradulate and hug their father who becomes the successor to Song Yi’s legacy. Mr. Shuren then gave a compelling speech about the direction he will take his party.
Thank you for your overwhelming support. I love you all. I want to first thank my wife and kids for loving me and showing me why I do what I do, for without them, I am nothing. Second, I need to give thanks to the most influential person in my life. My colleague and dear friend, Song Yi. She came to my door one morning and asked me to my face if I wanted to change this country. Those were her words. At first, I was reluctant, but once our kids started screaming with joy at the sight of Auntie Song, I couldn’t resist. Song Yi and I go back a long way. We have always been close friends. We didn’t always agree, and she was the first to tell me that, but I had no regrets of working with such a precious soul. In her will she asked for me to carry on her fight for the working men and women of Indrala, and that is what I will do. I will fight with my blood and bone for our people. The first thing we need to do as a party is resist the corruption and privilege in the National Conference. What sets our party apart from the rest is our resiliency to corruption. We genuinely care about the people, they do not. I need to make something clear. Our party is completely opposed to the monarchy. 100%. We will fight it with every tool at our disposal. We will also begin the slow process of shrinking government and empowering the working class. We will advocate for farmers and every other hard-working mother and father. We will clean our air and green our forests. We will give liberty to our people and arm them to defend themselves from vicious attacks that have threatened the very humanity of our country. If Song Yi or any of her staff had a firearm, she would still be alive.

Friends, I ask you to join me, join the Republicans, join our loving family and fight for the suffering people of Indrala! Thank you!

The convention ended with roars of cheers and a standing ovation. The music from the convention hall could be heard for several city streets. The Republicans will now return to the National Conference with a new leader.

More to come…
保守聯盟 (Conservative Coalition) - Republic of Indrala
TreeHugger

Postby jamescfm » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:01 am

Chancellor Reaffirms Belief In Nation's Stability
Feng give key speech following resignation of Education minister

30th September 4276

Yuan Jie delivers a statement explaining his resignation

Indralan Chancellor Feng Xinyue assured the nation that there was no need to be concerned about its stability last night in the wake of a turbulent series of political events. As the New Era for Indrala legislation (which would reorganise the country into an empire once again) continues to divide opinion and provoke fierce debate, tensions have emerged within the government too. Feng was resolute, though. In her words, "it is a time for every Indralan citizen to stand strong as we ensure we are able to secure the future of our Great Empire for future generations".

While the Republicans are the only political party in the Conference who are openly opposed to the New Era bill, it has been well-publicised that the government has struggled to balance the interests of both the Lotus Party, their own representatives in the legislature and the noble families who the legislation would majorly impact. In order to ensure they aren't defeated on such crucial matters, the Nationalist administration has delayed moving the bill to a vote since before the last election, frustrating hard-line imperialists. In particular, there is controversy over the legitimacy of the new empire, which would be elected by the nation's nobles "to promote stability and democracy". Critics, such as members of Clan Sun, claim that any emperor must be able to claim the Mandate of Heaven.

Additionally, the Chancellor has been dealt a further blow to her reputation with the resignation of Minister for Education and Culture Yuan Jie. Yuan claimed last week that he had "lost faith in the ability of the government to properly run the affairs of the nation". Consequently, Feng must now rely on the support of either the Lotus Party or the Republicans to appoint a permanent replacement to the cabinet. Even more troublingly for Feng, reports suggest that Yuan's real reason for resignation is to allow him to prepare a challenge to her leadership of the party. Tian Zedong, who leads the Nationalists in the legislature, is seen as the favourite to attempt an overthrow of the Chancellor.

Meanwhile, Feng Xinyue has been forced to defend her decision to welcome a Trigunian diplomatic delegation to the island. Despite centuries of hostility in international affairs, the government says it wants to repair the damage done by previous generations. Indrala's position of the World Congress Security Council, which it gained after the removal of Luthori for inactivity, presents a new opportunity for the country to extend its power in foreign relations. Nevertheless, many Indralans still hold Trigunia in contempt and are furious that the government is attempting to make them an ally.
jamescfm

Postby Wu Han » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:19 pm

Headlines at a Glance
Stories making news today
TIAN'AN, HAN - 2 October 4276

Divisions Arrise Between Nationalists and Lotus Party
The debate on National Service has exposed a rift between the two parties
Huang Zitao in combat mode, delivers remarks to press outside National Conference

THE LOTUS PARTY and the Nationalists have, for more than a decade, had an alliance of sorts, working together to restore stability to the Fourth Republic. With stability nowhere to be found in the midst of a constitutional crisis, it appears that this alliance is going through some serious strain, if not dissolving altogether. Following a heated debate regarding the National Service, Huang Zitao charged out of the chamber in full combat mode to deliver his remarks to the press.
(Regarding the Education Minister's resignation and alleged challenges to her leadership) It's pretty rich that Feng Xinyue, who cannot even govern her own party, is telling Indralans exactly who is and isn't fit to serve in government! And further, that she might suggest that those who have served in our Armed Forces have nothing to offer to the governance of our country is a jab in the side of our brave men and women in uniform! We'll see just how well this arrogance will treat them in the next election.

His last comment immediately spawned a question regarding his promise to dissolve the government if their constitutional amendments wouldn't come to Conference after two years:
We'll see after our National Policy Retreat exactly where our party stands on continued support for the government, but Feng Xinyue would be wise to remember that she is serving as Chancellor of a minority government.

Perhaps most shockingly, asked where his party stood on the restoration of the monarchy, Huang said:
It's uncertain. We have made no decision.

When asked about Chancellor Feng's meeting with Trigunian diplomats, Huang raised some concerns:
As Trigunia continues to become increasingly militarized, we must be sure that this Government will act prudently to ensure that our values of peace and justice are resolute. It is rumored that there may be a trade agreement to come from this meeting, and we will have a more thorough response at that time. The Indralan people will be the ultimate arbiters in the strained relations between our countries.

Sun Clan Endorses Republicans, Statement
In a press release from the Sun Clan, family endorses Republicans
Sun Clan seal

IN A SURPRISE PRESS RELEASE, the Sun Clan offered its political endorsement to the Republicans, stating that:
The responsibility of power is like holding an egg. Grasp it too tightly and it will drip through your fingers; hold it too loosely and it will drop and break. There is only one individual who can achieve perfect harmony in governance: the Son of Heaven.

While forces in our land seek to restore the Monarchy artificially, we must remember that the ultimate objective of a superior man is truth. There is no truth, no honesty, when an illegitimate child is placed on the Dragon Throne.

A mans greatest shortcoming is that he neglects his own field and weeds that of others. The Chancellor focuses on the problems of nobility while ignoring the cliff that lies before her.

When the tree falls, the monkeys scatter; such will be the state of the land. However, in seeking a Son of Heaven, we may find that present afflictions may tend to our future good. As such, we support the Republicans.

Wu Hán Inducted into Order of Luminous Jade
Former-Chancellor recieves the highest civilian honour
First official portrait of Wu Hán since he left politics 5 years ago

TODAY, Wu Hán received his induction into the Order of Luminous Jade. In a statement, Wu said:
I am continually humbled by the support of my compatriots. If I were to die today, my final request would be that I could be born again as an Indralan, so that I may serve the nation again for the many blessings I have received from it. This is a great honour, and one that I do not receive lightly. Thank you, friends.

Following his resignation from politics, Wu has continued his work for the International Organization for the Prohibition of Landmines. This year, his International Treaty on the Prohibition of Landmines was ratified by the National Conference and the Republic of Lourenne. He is 68 years old.

Singer Yao Makes Large Donation to Sister's Charity for Birthday
Yao's sister, Huang Xia is the founder and president of the International Children's Defence League
Left: Huang Xia, Right: Huang Yao

HUANG ZITAO is not the only member of his family making news today: His son, pop singer Yao made a $56,102 INS donation to his sister's charity, the International Children's Defence League. The donation amount is significant, as it is the date of his birth (yy/mm/dd = 56/10/02). He said in a statement:
I want us to live in a peaceful world. It breaks my heart to see children flee from war, violence and poverty. I want to help create a place for them to rest a while. Peace is not achieved by simply thinking about it. It is created by our collective efforts to achieve it.

The donation was matched by the Huang Family, and his fanclub raised $71,345 INS in lieu of gifts.
Last edited by Wu Han on Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(he/him)
Wu Han

Postby Wu Han » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:55 am

Opposition Support for Government Officially Ends; Election Expected
Lotus Party Caucus Members have convened in remote mountain retreat to discuss priorities before the upcoming legislative session
RURAL ANLE - 24 June 4277
Left: Leader Huang Zitao is spotted by media admiring the scenery with colleagues; Right: the Anle Mountain Resort, where Lotus Party Caucus Members stayed for the last two weeks

FOR THE PAST TWO WEEKS, Lotus Party Caucus members have been assembled at the Anle Mountain Resort to discuss their priorities and positions moving forward; one such issue discussed was the Lotus Party's continued support for the Nationalist government, led by Chancellor Feng Xinyue. Press were not permitted to enter the caucus meetings until today when Leader Huang Zitao held a press conference to discuss the meeting.

Huang speaking to media at the Anle Mountain Resort
Thank you all for coming today. It has been a very productive two weeks, and we are excited to head back to Tian'an and fight for you.

Before the last election, we decided, out of the people's earnest desire to see stability in our country, to allow Feng Xinyue to serve a second term. Our support was contingent on the fact that we expected her government to bring forward their constitutional proposals within two years, which they have not done. Instead, the government has decided to launch a clear assault on our party's manifesto commitments and on the interests of all Indralans.

The Nationalists' attempted return to monarchism has failed. Evidenced by the Sun Clan's media release last fall, it isn't something that the people of Indrala want, nor even the noble families. Our Party maintained an open-mind as it pertained to the monarchist debate, but Chancellor Feng's plan is one which no one, including our party, will support. Therefore, our party is officially committed to maintaining the Fourth Republic at this time.

Our nation needs stability. This debate which the Nationalists' thrust on our country has been enormously divisive and has resulted in extremist acts that have tragically claimed lives. To echo the words of Chancellor Feng's former-Education Minister, the people of Indrala have "lost faith in the ability of the government to properly run the affairs of the nation". We need a government that is committed to unifying all Indralans around an optimistic message for the future. For that reason, we are rescinding our supply and confidence to the government and the Lotus Party will be bringing forward a motion to dissolve the government in the coming months.

Feng Xinyue and her government have neglected their responsibility to Indralans. It's time that we have a government in Tian'an that puts you and your family first; that acts on the priorities of your kitchen table, not just the boardroom table. We hope, that come election time, the Lotus Party can put forward a vision that looks forward with optimism and hope, and that this message will gain the support of as many of you as possible.

Thank you.

The motion to call for an early election is expected to come to the National Conference in August or September, and it is expected to pass. This development is notable as it indicates that the de facto alliance between the Nationalists and the Lotus Party has dissolved, and that, for the foreseeable future, the Fourth Republic is safe.

Lotus Party advertisement
(he/him)
Wu Han

Postby TreeHugger » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:26 pm

Republicans Offer Hand of Cooperation to Nationalists
Xuan Shuren proposes cabinet that includes several Republican Ministers, strict conditions

Xuan Shuren appeared stoic as he made the announcement Monday morning

October 14, 4277
[TIAN’AN]: The Republicans have offered an olive branch to the governing Nationalists after the Lotus Party revealed during their caucus retreat in Anle Mountain Resort that they would be rescinding their support of the government. The Republicans have put forward a proposal that includes Republicans in five ministries:

Foreign Affairs – Mao Zhihao
Education and Culture – Duan Guanyu
Food and Agriculture – Gong Wuying
Environment and Tourism – Dai An
Trade and Industry – Zheng Song

Xuan Shuren has not indicated if his party will support the Nationalists in the next election, reiterating that this support is “extremely conditional.”

Meanwhile party loyalists have been questioning the Republicans shift to the far right on a variety of issues, with no clear answer from Mr. Xuan about his intentions. Only time will tell if this party can remain stable and avoid another conflict like the one that took Song Yi’s precious life.

More to come…
TreeHugger

Postby jamescfm » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:15 pm

Tian Elected Leader Of Reformed Nationalist Party
Chancellor announces she won't stand for re-election and backs down on the monarchy

17th November 4277

Indralan Chancellor Feng Xinyue has announced that she would not seek another term in office, regardless of when the next election was held. Claiming that she was satisfied with her record, she told the nation in a live address this morning that it was time for a fresh face to lead the country. Feng's decision comes less than a week after the Nationalist Party elected her replacement as party leader, Tian Zedong. Earlier this year, the Chancellor stepped down as party leader "in order to focus on achieving the best outcomes for Indralan citizens" as criticism from within her party heated up.

Nationalist Party leader Tian Zedong (left) meeting Minister for Finance Luo Bo (right)

Tian Zedong, who had previously been the party's leader in the National Conference, has wasted no time in making his agenda clear with early elections expected in the next six months. By affirming his support for the republican system, he has effectively killed the New Era bill which was the flagship legislation of his predecessor. Instead of reviving the Empire of Great Indrala, Tian has made a robust economy his priority and heaped praise on the reforms implemented by close ally and Minister for Finance Luo Bo. It is on this platform of economic liberalisation, tax reform and labour market deregulation which the Nationalist's will run in any upcoming elections.

A potentially unpredictable factor in the campaign could be the newly blossoming relationship between the Nationalists and the Republicans, who have converged on an agenda which promotes liberal economic policy and a compassionate approach to matters such as the environment and foreign aid. Chang Gang, Professor of Political Science at Tian'an National University, characterises this as the 'pincer approach'. "An alliance between the Republicans, who are popular with the young, farmers and students and embody Indralan society's idealism, and the Nationalist Party, a hardened and experienced political outfit, often favoured with businessmen and women, would create a pincer around the Lotus Party," says Chang "it would leave them grasping at their base".
jamescfm

Postby Wu Han » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:36 pm

Electoral Victory for Republican-Nationalist Coalition
Xuan Shuren's Republicans surge to first place; first third-party Chancellor
TIAN'AN, HAN - 1 December 4277

Xuan Shuren's Republicans have gone from third party to government following the dissolution of Feng Xinyue's Nationalist minority. For the election of the Chancellor, Tian Zedong, new Leader of the Nationalist Party placed last on the first ballot and was eliminated. Lotus Party Leader Huang Zitao, in his first campaign for Chancellor, was able to achieve second place at 48.17%. Xuan Shuren achieved 51.83% on the second ballot, and has been elected Chancellor. Xuan will be the first Head of State of Indrala in nearly two decades who hasn't been the Lotus Party or the Nationalist Party candidate.

The Nationalist Party suffered a large defeat, falling from Government to third party status. Dr. Chen Baoyao of the Shi Yawen Institute for Democracy Studies attributes this to multiple factors:
The immense unpopularity of former-Chancellor Feng Xinyue definitely made it hard for the new leader, Tian Zedong, to sell his message to the electorate. This was a change election, and the people certainly didn't view the Nationalists as a change agent. Professor Chang of Tian'an National University noted how vast the base of the Republicans is, while the Nationalists tend to have a more restrictive base and thus they have a harder time expanding outward.

Huang Zitao's Lotus Party was able to make gains, although it did lose 9 points in Jiaozhi, the Lotus Party's home province. The Republicans performed best in the southern provinces, where they have the support of the massive farming and manufacturing sectors.

It is clear that the Nationalists and the Republicans will be entering into a coalition, leaving the Lotus Party in opposition yet again. A cabinet proposal is expected in the coming weeks as Chancellor Xuan seeks to put together his government.
(he/him)
Wu Han

Postby TreeHugger » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:27 am

Republicans Seek Ambitious Agenda in Coalition with Nationalist Party
Xuan Shuren propels Republicans to victory in first election as leader

Xuan Shuren patiently waiting to be sworn-in with his wife Qian Lim in Tian’an

December 4, 4277
[TIAN’AN]:Xuan Shuren hosted a casual gathering in the capital on Monday for his swearing-in ceremony. His family and close friends, members of the public, as well as representatives from every major industry and government agency attended to witness history. After years of anticipation, the Republicans have finally formed government and elected a chancellor. Xuan Shuren is the first Republican to ever become chancellor of Indrala, even though his predecessor Song Yi was seen as the chancellor in waiting before her untimely death. Cheers erupted at Republican Party headquarters in Hazhou as Xuan Shuren was elected chancellor and the Republicans managed to capture 249 seats – two more than the opposition Lotus Party. The Nationalist Party has become the third party in the National Conference, however Xuan Shuren will be proposing a cabinet that includes several NP positions. This election was seen as some of the Republicans’ last chance to run for ministerial positions, as most of the candidates have been around ever since Song Yi founded the Republicans almost ten years ago.

Minister of Foreign Affairs Mao Zhihao

The Republicans have a broad range of proposals to put forward. Most notably the minister of Foreign Affairs – Mao Zhihao has revealed the government’s intention to ratify several international treaties, as well as host numerous international conferences. This will be the first time the people of Indrala get to see what a Republican government looks like, and the anticipation is strong.

More to come…
TreeHugger

Postby TreeHugger » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:19 pm

Government Hosts Hanzhou Fisheries Convention 4278
Delegations from across Terra settle in Hanzhou, the city that Chancellor Xuan Shuren has proclaimed “The Harbour of Terra”

Xuan Shuren gives foreign investors a tour of one of Hanzhou’s many ageing fisheries

June 1, 4278
[Hanzhou, Shu]: Chancellor Xuan Shuren and Foreign Affairs Minister Mao Zhihao have welcomed thousands of scientists and industry leaders to Hanzhou for the Hazhou Fisheries Convention 4278. The Chancellor and Minister have taken on an almost brotherly relationship with the commencement of this convention, offering food and drinks to foreigners and joking with one another about the poor state of their Luthorian tongue. All of this comes as the Republicans seek to impress the electorate with their first year in office. It took only but a few months for the government to bring scientists and industry executives together within Indrala and get a treaty drafted, something Foreign Affairs minister Mao Zhihao had been dreaming of:

This could not have turned out better. I have always dreamed of hosting a convention like this one. Our government made it a priority to bolster Indrala’s reputation on the international stage and that has been accomplished.

He goes on to talk about the treaty:
This treaty is a necessary one. I’ve heard from so many fishermen in Shu and across Indrala who have concerns with not only the dwindling number of fish in our waters, but the quality of the fish. We listened to voters and now we have drafted an international treaty to help solve the issue. That’s leadership.

Meanwhile Xuan Shuren was outside all day talking to locals and showing foreigners around. He had a few words to say when asked about what the convention means to him:
Isn’t it nice being outside? People go crazy when they spend all their days cooped up in the National Conference. This is where the hard work gets done. I remember Song Yi reminding me to breathe the air and take it all in, because if we do nothing, it will all be gone.

Reporters went on to ask him if his government will be introducing any further measures besides the treaty:
Look around, this place is falling apart! We have so many dedicated fishermen and women, but the infrastructure is just not here. We will invest 10 Billion INS to modernize local fisheries and help the fishing industry recover from years of neglect by previous governments. We will do all this alongside the men and women who work here, because above all we respect private enterprise.

No plans have been revealed as to exactly where the government intends on getting that money from, or how long it is going to take to modernize Hanzhou Harbour. For now, the show must go on.

More to come…
TreeHugger

PreviousNext

Return to National News