Kanjor

National news threads that host the key national news outlets for each of the game’s countries.

Re: Kanjoran Time

Postby Calum S » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:48 pm

Grève Rouge: Coalition collapses amid infighting

Following Margaret Stonemason's divisive election as Président, the monarchist coalition has officially ended amid turbulent cabinet walk-outs and major party realignments.

After Charles Chevalier's abrupt resignation as leader of the MRN, after a dire showing in the presidential election, polling in last place with 10.22% of the vote, the party erupted into bickering. A clash between the moderates, under Chevalier's leadership, and the radicals within the party, controversial politician Alexandre Arceneau emerged to reform the party into the Partie Populiste Nationale de Kanjor (PPN).

Derided by critics as a racist and political rival of Chevalier for the ideological soul of the party, Arceneau made clear his party would no longer consider co-operation with the KCP, whom they had criticised previously for dominating the cabinet and refusing to compromise.

Arceneau's criticisms of the KCP, and Stonemason in particular, prompted a mass walkout of PPN and PRN ministers, who refused to collaborate any longer in a coalition.

"The situation became very volatile," explains Pierre Buchard, former PRN Education Minister, who had resigned previously. "Stonemason had been elected on a republican ticket, supported by the liberal Parti d'Maison. That put to rest any hopes that the KCP would support re-establishing the monarchy, and made appearent that they were only using the coalition in order to promote their dreams of a free-market. The PRN would not be used any longer."

Despite Stonemason's pleas to reforge the coalition, whipping up anti-communism in order to convince her former allies, the PPN and PRN remained stead-fast that they would not be fooled into a coalition under false pretences.

Paul Beaumont, former MRN Foreign Minister, insists, "The anti-communism excuse was feeble. It was clear that Stonemason was merely attempting to ensure that her free-market reforms were not backtracked on, now that there was not a coalition to preserve them."

A further blow was dealt to Stonemason and Quick's authority after high-profile KCP member, Alexander Montague, Defence Minister, resigned in protest to Stonemason's handling of the situation.

"Our party leader has alienated the rest of the government," Montague told L'Assemblée in his resignation speech. "Only a new direction for the KCP can save it's government."

From the moderate centrist wing of the KCP, Montague had the respect of liberals within his party, and his resignation marked a significant blow to Stonemason's appeal within her party. Previously a popular figure, the perception of Stonemason as a schemer and manipulator, promoted by the press, has damaged her opinion polling figures drastically.

In Le Gardien opinion poll conducted this month, only 46% of respondents believed that Margaret Stonemason was 'trustworthy', with 35% believing her to be 'untrustworthy', and 19% 'unsure'. Before her illness, 58% of respondents believed Stonemason was 'trustworthy'.

"The coalition is dead," states Prof. Henri Lechart, Head of the Political Science Dept. at L'université de Sovalt. "Whether or not Stonemason has back-stabbed her allies is irrelevant. The clash on interests between the KCP and their allies was too much; simple anti-communism cannot bind together statist conservatives and free-market moderates. In years to come, I believe that it was Chevalier who held this coalition together. With his departure, it could not survive."
Calum S

Postby Calum S » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:25 pm

Le Journal: Concerned Prince Auclair appeals for help from Rildanor

Corbin Auclair, former Prince of Kanjor, has today opened an appeal for help in the disappearance of his wife.

After the Queen's dethronement by communists and liberals in 2740, former royals Louise-Elisabeth and Auclair have lived in exile in Rildanor.

"We feared for the safety of our lives," Auclair explains to us. "It was a difficult time. The Monarchy was not at its most popular, and the communists and liberals were at their height. We felt that it would be better to remove ourselves, despite how much it hurt us to leave the country we love."

Auclair tells of how every day has been challenging for his wife, himself, and their family, receiving death threats from inside Rildanor, as well as from Kanjor.

"We did not feel safe, at any time. These last 9 years have been hell for us," the former Prince laments.

However, two nights ago, Louise-Elisabeth made a rare venture outside of their safe apartment to meet a friend, and since then has not returned. While Auclair and the Rildanor police attempted to keep this information from leaking, Auclair made the decision to go public and appeal for assistance.

"If anyone has any information, any at all, it could be vital," he said in his press conference. "I fear that those who wish to see the end of the monarchy forever have exacted their sick intentions on my wife."

King Leopold of Kanjor, Louise-Elisabeth's father, was assassinated when she was only seven years old.
Calum S

Postby Calum S » Fri May 01, 2009 3:01 pm

L'Héraut: A grieving nation as Queen Louise-Elisabeth of Kanjor (2678 - 2749) found dead after six months missing

Kanjor has descended into a mass grievance after the Rildanor Special Police announced that they had found the body of former Queen, Louise-Elisabeth, in a run-down apartment in Northern Rildanor.

Petre Valance, Chief of the Rildanor Police Bureau, claims, "We believe that Her Royal Highness had been kept in captivity for several months, before she was executed a week ago, likely as the police was nearing the perpetrators. Her body had been left in this soiled condition for about a week."

Valance believes this was the doing of 'La Volonté Gens', a radical republican terrorist cell based in Kanjor, composed mostly of Solentian and Kafuristani immigrants to Kanjor.

Prince Auclair, the Queen's husband, who has led a massive media appeal to help recover his wife issued the simple words, "Is this what our people have become?"

Kanjorien police are now investigating the widespread influence of 'La Volonté Gens' throughout Kanjor and Rildanor.
Calum S

Postby Calum S » Sun May 03, 2009 12:35 pm

L'Héraut: Prince Auclair goes into hiding with family after car bomb threatens lives

The 76- year old Prince Colbin Auclair, widower of the late Queen Louise-Elisabeth, has declared his intention in what will be his final press conference to lead his family into hiding after a recent attempt on their lives.

As Auclair and his second son, Prince Henri, were returning to their latest safehouse in Rildanor, a car bomb exploded near to them, followed by several more down the street. While Prince Auclair was uninjured due to a bodyguard's intervention, Prince Auclair's bodyguard was killed, and Prince Henri was grossly burned on his hands and face by the explosion. It has been announced that he will be disfigured for life by the explosion.

While both survived, Prince Auclair expressed his intention to remain out of the public light forever.

"Our family do not have time to spare, to wait for the Kanjorien L'Assemblée to debate over the 'The Protection of the Monarchy Act'. Our lives are at risk now, and I cannot express the sadness I feel looking at my son, and the pain he is enduring due to some sickening group of individuals," a teary Prince told the press. "The Kanjorien Gouvernment should act now to find out who has done this, where they are based, and should strike them from this earth as God intended."
Calum S

Postby Gracchus » Sun May 03, 2009 3:24 pm

L'Héraut: PRN Protectors Flock to Royal Family's Aid

Given the tragic loss of the Queen and the recent attempts on Princes Corbin and Henri's lives, the Parti Rexiste National de Kanjor (PRN) has reacted. After quiet negotiations with both the Crown of Rildanor and His Government, the PRN has been allowed to transfer a company of armed militia to protect the Royal Family of Kanjor from further assassination attempts.

This company, of which the exact number remains unknown, is suspected to number nearly one hundred militiamen and appears to consist of former Kanjorien soldiers and elite special forces. L'Héraut has uncovered, by examining immigration visas to Rildanor, that the commander of the PRN milita unit is none other than Capitaine Frédéric Phillippe de Villiers, a Troupes de marine and two-time Légion d'honneur recipient. While the background of the other members remains unknown, it is believed that many are also former members of the elite Troupes de marine, of which Prince Corbin was once a high ranking officer. These militiamen will work to protect the Royal family while working closely with local and national Rildanorienne police forces to uncover the culprits of these heiness crimes.

Thus far, the reporters of L'Héraut have observed the streets around the Royal Family's Rildanorienne home have a heavy police presence while the exact street running in front of the safehouse is completely cordened off by armored police vehicles. The PRN militiamen have been seen taking up positions in and around the grounds of the safehouse.

The people of Kanjor can now rest at ease with the Royal Family safely protected behind loyal Kanjorien protectors and the competent Rildanorienne police services. L'Héraut has set up an office in Rildanor to ensure that any breaking news is reported quickly and accurately.
Gracchus

Postby Calum S » Sat May 09, 2009 1:45 am

Le Temps Economiques: Margaret Stonemason: The Vigil of Kanjorien Liberalism

At 66, no politician within the current political scene as so re-shaped the face of Kanjorien politics than Margaret Stonemason. Elected by a close margin to a third-term in office as President, following a surprising early election aimed at capitalising on the infighting within the PRT, Margaret Stonemason stands tall as the strongest figure in politics today.

In an exclusive interview with 'Le Temps', Stonemason reveals her thoughts on politics and the continued success of her spell in office.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

LTE. You were recently 65. Do you feel that following bouts of illness, it is perhaps not time to name a successor in the party and retire?

MS. I turned 66 this month actually, I resigned as Premier near the end of my five year term in office back in 2748 - it was however a misdiagnosis. So far I have been in excellent health, the role of President is one which requires a great deal of experience and so I feel age is a bonus. I will continue in this capacity for as long as my party and the electorate permit it.

LTE. You have changed the face of the Kanjorien economy amid great protest, from within your own party and your own coalition. How do you think you have accomplished this, considering Kanjor's history of economic dirigisme?

MS. I think ultimately a vast portion of the Kanjorien population were ready for change, this I feel is demonstrated in my parties improved electoral fortunes.There was opposition but I was able to persuade the government to support it, so again I feel that perhaps even those who wavered were still leaning towards reform.

LTE. What is the ultimate stumbling block for reform for the future of our nation?

MS. I think the continued strength of the PRT here in Kanjor will prove to be the most major stumbling block, the spectre of communism still haunts Kanjor - I am confident that under the KCP lead coaltion the democratic forces within Kanjor will continue to prevail.

LTE. Do you feel that your coalition partners are expendable in the pursuit of a free-market economy?

MS. We value the support of our coaltion partners and could not have achieved reform without them.

LTE. Who would you prefer to succeed you as head of the KCP?

MS. I think that for me to name a successor would hinder the KCP's internal democratic process, it would not be fair. I'm fortunate to have a relatively young senior cabinet and so it could be any of the obvious figures. Your newspaper has in the past named people like Tom Quick and Alexander Montague. At 55 and 50 they could be young enough but that will depend upon when I retire. It should definitely be someone young, I think youth is important in politics it implies longevity and potential longevity in any given position is what amounts to political capital.

LTE. What do you think of the other parties, and their party leaders, such as Alexandre Arceneau, Father St. Martin, or Brigitte Bovary? Some have been quite complimentary of your tenure in office, while others have been less so.

MS. I have found Alexandre Arceneau to be something of a dangerous but ineffective figure, he has almost politically castrated his party. The weakning of other monarchist parties is not good for anyone here in Kanjor. Father St. Martin has proven to be a valuable partner in delivering reform to Kanjor, he is truly pragmatic which compliments my convicion he does. Brigitte Bovary appears to have been a caliming influence to her party, I am inclined to say more pragmatic than her predecessor - She seems to place Kanjor above her parties extreme amibtions, which is good.

LTE. What do you value more, reform or co-operation?

MS. I value reform above all else, compromise is almost failure by another name. Compromise is often needed in government, sometimes parties and leaders do have to demonstrate their individuality to the eelctorate at times.

LTE. If you could remould Kanjor as your dream vision, would the free-market economy come first, above welfare and the State?

MS. The free market and a democratic and free society within Kanjor are my aims, a small state which encourages individuality. Welfare is something we need to look at, we need to re-evaluate the extent to which the state is obliged to provide it.

LTE. As you may be aware, 'Les Temps Economiques' endorsed your presidential candidacy, due to your strong record on free-market reform. What do you think are your other assets, and why else should people vote for you, besides your economic vision?

MS. I am a strong and experienced stateswoman, I have demonstrated my determination to represent my voters and do what is right for Kanjor. I think people should continue to support me for these reasons, would you really get this with anybody else?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The continued success of Margaret Stonemason and the KCP has come amid troubles for the other parties, in L'Assemblée. The poor showing in the L'Assemblée elections for the Monarchist parties, including the continued decline of the PRN under Father St. Martin. There has been some speculation as to whether a leadership election will be called.

The PRT is in similar disarray; although continuing to maintain the position of principal party in L'Assemblée, and holding the crucial third of the seats, in the 2651 Party Congress sparked furious debate about the direction of the party, between liberals and conservatives. A united conservative effort ousted liberal General Secretary, Eleanor Souvellent, in the Politburo elections, which has prompted rumours that Souvellent will stand against Party Chairman Bovary in the next Congressional elections.

While Bovary has received a warm reception from the public, both conservatives and liberals are dissatisfied with her moderate approach, with conservatives increasingly rallying around new conservative General Secretary Jacques Fouillant, while spurned liberals are calling on Eleanor Souvellent to make her move.

Ultimately, the only party to profit from such bickering, in the coalition and in the opposition, will be KCP, and the 'Iron Lady', Margaret Stonemason.
Calum S

Postby Calum S » Sat May 09, 2009 1:56 am

Grève Rouge: General Secretary Jacques Fouillant refuses to rule out a challenge to Bovary

The new conservative General Secretary of the PRT, Jacques Fouillant, has today avoided answering whether he will be challenging Party Chairman Brigitte Bovary in the next Party Congress elections.

Formerly Chairman of the Party Defence Bureau, Fouillant lost his position in the Politburo in 2641, before making a surprise return by ousting liberal General Secretary Eleanor Souvellent from her role ten years later.

A former military captain, Fouillant has the support of both ex-soldiers and trade unionists, and is seen by the party's Conservative wing as their kind of leader. Promoting the vision of a powerful military state, Fouillant has criticised Bovary's weak credentials on the military, and her concessions to the liberals in the party.

Fouillant's rival, Eleanor Souvellent, has also refused to rule out a bid for the Chairmanship in the next Party Congress. After losing the election to Fouillant, rumours have circulated that Souvellent has been gathering her resources and allies within the party to mount a challenge to both Bovary and Fouillant, attacking them as Betrandists while presenting herself as a more moderate and forward-thinking candidate.

Many believe the endorsement of popular First Secretary, Nicolas Renoir, who is seen as the alderman of the party, and generally nonaligned within the party factions, will sway the vote. Respected for both his military service and academic record, both conservatives and liberals claim him as their own.

In recent months, Brigitte Bovary has been publically seen with Renoir, and has supported many of his pet projects. Spectators believe that Bovary is hoping to fend off a challenge with an endorsement or vote of confidence from Renoir.
Calum S

Postby Calum S » Sun May 10, 2009 4:17 pm

Grève Rouge: From beleaguered Party Chairman to Président of Kanjor in the space of 8 months

Chairman of le Parti Révolutionnaire des Travailleurs, Brigitte Bovary, has made a massive political turn-around in the space of 8 months, from the March 2753 early election to the November early election.

Under attack from large personalities in her party on the left and right, Bovary, as the chosen successor of Olivier Betrand from relative obscurity, was struggling to keep her party united despite strong showings in L'Assemblée elections.

However, after losing the Presidential election in March by 1.01% of the vote to Margaret Stonemason in March, and then several high-profile non-denials from figures such as General Secretary Jacques Fouillant, Bovary understood her political career was on the line.

"Despite Bovary's personal approval ratings with the electorate, evidenced by the PRT's maintained high performace in L'Assemblée elections, she was losing the confidence of her party," explains Prof. Henri Lechart, Head of the Political Science Dept. at L'université de Sovalt. "While no candidate had pledged to run against her at the next Party Congress, the non-denials from Jacques Fouillant and Eleanor Souvellent, both big players in the idealogical battle for the party, were like ticking time bombs for Bovary to connect with a party she never truly gained the respect of."

Bovary's first step in her battle to re-connect with the party was an endorsement from popular First Secretary, Nicolas Renoir. An architect of the party, as well as head of all of the Regional Parties, an endorsement from Renoir was likely to fend off any challenge at the Party Congress. After publically committing to a programme of full nationalisation in the Party's Constituin, as Renoir has proposed, an endorsement soon followed.

"Renoir was crucial," says Michelle Armoir, former Premier under Betrand and a key supporter of Bovary. "Without him, our camp had nothing. No key players, no key convictions, no respect from the grassroots. You can witness three main camps, outside the ideological cliques within the party, springing up: the hardline conservatives that have flocked to Fouillant, the liberals and capitalist railroaders who support Souvellent, and now Bovary has her own camp, made up of those still loyal to Betrand. Fouillant claims that he is a Betrandist, but we all know he isn't. He wants his own personality cult."

Promoting her own allies swiftly up the party, as well as promising the creation of a fifth post of the four-man Politburo (expected to be filled by Bovarist ally), Bovary waged a concentrated campaign for the soul of her party, with the help of Renoir.

By the time the November early election was called, many believed Bovary was ready.

"The Coalition are not united, and people see this. They claim to be, but really Stonemason is not a team player," Nicolas Renoir, First Secretary of the Regions, told us. "The public had witnessed Bovary's fight against her enemies within the party, and respected her for it. She has been bruised, and come out stronger because of it. She deserves to be our Président."

It will be a long battle ahead for Bovary: she has insisted no Communists will sit in a government alongside Monarchists or Capitalists, and therefore there will be a period of Cohabition, where the Gouvernment and Président are aiming in different directions. This Cohabitation may be the true make or break for Bovary's political career.
Calum S

Postby Gracchus » Sun May 10, 2009 4:49 pm

L'Héraut: The Old Make Room for the Young in House d'Orléans-Vasser

It certainly has been a trying time for the Kanjorien branch of the House of Orléans-Vasser. Nearly fifteen years after dethronement, and five years on from the tagic loss of HRH Queen Louise-Elisabeth, matriarch of the Family, the Royals must once more face a bitter loss. HRH Prince Consort Corbin Auclair has died today, 23 Feburary 20754, at the Château de Fontainebleau-Versailles, the royal residence of Rildanor, he was 80-years old.

Prince Corbin was born to international banker M. Henri and Marie Auclair on 16 March 2674. As a child, he was a frequent guest at major social functions to which his family was invited due to their importance. It was at one of these functions that he met and befriended HRH Queen Louise-Elisabeth when they were both twelve years old, they were to remain cordial friends and interacted with each other mostly (through letters) for many years.

The Auclair family had a long military tradition, and like his father, uncles and grandfather; young Corbin wished to pursue a career as an officer in the Troupes de marine, Kanjor's elite naval infantry force. Upon graduation from the prestigious L'Académie Royale de Zanyal with a Dimplome du baccalauréat général following a Economics and Social Sciences stream, Corbin enlisted in the Troupes de marine in order to earn an officer's commission. The Troupes de marine does not allow officers to sign for commission but instead promotes officers from promising enlistees within its own ranks.

Corbin rose through the ranks of the Troupes and eventually earned officer status as an Enseigne de marine de première classe (Ensign of Marines, 1st Class) and was involved in several unpublicized combat incidents, mostly anti-piracy operations in the Sea of Lost Souls, for which he was awarded the La Croix Militaire navale combat medal and was promoted to the senior officer rank of Capitaine de fusiliers.

During the summer of 2707, Corbin rekindled his relationship with HRH Queen Louise-Elisabeth after meeting at a spa retreat at the invitation of M. & Mme. Henri Auclair. The two maintained a secret relationship and were married in April of 2708. Over the next several years their children were born and Prince Consort Corbin carried out the royal functions expected of him until the family's dethronement. HRH Prince Corbin was badly shaken by his wife's murder and subsequent personal assassination attempts.

Even though his death is a great blow to House d'Orléans-Vasser given his immense respect and popularity within the household, his death is truly a bittersweet moment. Upon hearing of his death the wife of HRH Crown Prince Albert, Princess Simone Leanne Sarkozin, 44, went into to early labor and HRH Princess Marie Louise-Elisabeth was born shortly thereafter.

The House d'Orléans-Vasser mourns the loss of a popular and respected patriarch but now gains a new daughter. A bittersweet time indeed for the Family. Time will only tell if luck and the grace of God again will shine upon the Family, but for now, the Family can only thank God for the blessings they still have and have been given.
Gracchus

Postby Calum S » Mon May 11, 2009 5:19 pm

Le Temps Economiques: Margaret Stonemason, radical reformer and difficult personality

Margaret Stonemason announced her very public retirement today, with speculation as to what prompted the end to one of Kanjor's most dynamic politicians and controversial reformers.

"Stonemason has been one of the only politicians in modern times to reconcile the diversities within her own party and within a coalition so often to her own advantage," explains Prof. Henri Lechart, Head of the Political Science Dept. at L'université de Sovalt. "From free-market reform, to secularism, to the abolition of the Monarchy, and then gaining the support of the Monarchists, Stonemason has impacted politics and made it personal. The skill with which she has played the political game is worthy of both great admiration and also a certain degree of unease."

At the age of 67, Stonemason carved her party into the prime position is politics it now plays from relative obscurity. Originally nothing more than a party for the English-speaking minorities, Stonemason's raw ambition saw her implement one of the most ideological eras in politics.

Originally allied with the Communists against the Union Conservatrice, Stonemason was crucial in supporting the abolition of the Monarchy in return for a shorter legislative term. However, this republicanism was short-lived, as Stonemason came to understand the unpopularity of the republic due to the resurgence of a Monarchist opposition.

As Premier, Stonemason actively pursued an economic programme of privatisation and entrepreneurship, often at odds with her allies, whose belief in national harmony advocated greater dirigsme.

"Stonemason was a political mastermind, in many ways," Marcus de Montfort, economist, tells us. "She was flexible over social policy, wavering between liberalism and conservativism depending on how the situation suited her, while actively pursuing a neo-liberal ideology over the economy unseen in Kanjor. Her fervent belief in the market, and its ability to drag Kanjor into modernity, set her out as a politician of conviction and vision."

However, Stonemason's strides in economic liberalisation were also the key battlegrounds for her feuds through her career. As well as respected for her forsight and tactical mind, Stonemason was seen as volatile and unilateral in her approach, making her many enemies from the opposition, her coalition partners and those within her own party.

Cabinet resignations were not uncommon during Stonemason's tenure as Premier, and acted as one of the key reasons why Stonemason left the cabinet to run for presidential office.

"Stonemason understood that her popularity within the legislature had ebbed," says Pierre Buchard, PFN-K Education Minister and key cabinet rebel against Stonemason. "While a strong leader, she was known to abuse her position, and would often play off one party against the other. She would not compromise, and this meant she had to leave. She needed to seek office in a new position."

As President, Stonemason continued with her economic programme, less challenged than before. With the help of the soothing Tom Quick as Premier, Stonemason was able to persuade her allies to support her ideas, in return for her own support for the Monarchy's restoration. However, Stonemason's refusal to abstain from the presidential election in protest infuriated her monarchist allies, who accused her of not truly supporting the Monarchy's return.

In her final months in office, relations between Stonemason and her party hit an all-time low. Despite ailing health, Stonemason refused to make way for a successor, and ruled the party with an iron fist.

"The party had no control over her," says Andrew Payne, KCP Health Minister and friend of Stonemason. "Her actions had been increasingly erratic...her friends said it was her ill-health, which she tried hard to cover up. Her enemies said she needed to be replaced."

After losing the November 2753 early election, plots against Stonemason were being talked of. Despite the work she had done to turn the KCP into the central party of the coalition, and despite her progress in removing much of the communist legacy, KCP activists were dissatisfied with her recent performance.

Aware that without presidential office she was vulnerable, Stonemason unilaterally called for an early election, in an attempt to rally the coalition against her old enemy: communism.

"It was a mistake to demand another early election, after two previous early elections," says former PRT General Secretary, Eleanor Souvellent, an admirer of Stonemason. "While Stonemason's call against communism had served her so well in the past, her allies could see this was not about communism, but about getting herself back into office. The plots against her, which even we communists knew about, were ready to remove her."

However, Stonemason's ill-health got to her first. Days after demanding the early election, Stonemason fell into a coma-like state, and shocked the nation. Removed from the position, secret conspirators began the pre-election process. When she recovered, Stonemason realised the party had moved on, and she had little choice but to resign.

A leadership election followed, between those still loyal to Stonemason, gathered around her old ally Tom Quick, and those around her detractors, who supporter Alexander Montague. As Defence Minister, Montague had publically attacked Stonemason's record of unilateralism, and is the only KCP Minister to resign in protest to this date. Montague won by 55%, signalling an end to the era of Stonemason's domination.

So what is to become of the KCP? It is expected that under Montague the KCP will be more moderate, and more likely to compromise, however, with the spectre of Stonemason ever-present, it is unlikely such a powerful figure will have no influence over the future of the party.
Calum S

PreviousNext

Return to National News