Quarantine of International Territory bordering Lodamun

World events, conflicts, conferences and visits from all over.

Re: Quarantine of International Territory bordering Lodamun

Postby jethro » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:31 pm

Very Iori here. Almost seems like a channeling of the old days...
And how much longer are you going to tell a topsy-turvy renditon of the Varyag Incident? I suspect you've lost all credibility you might once have had both as a guardian of a Free Terra and as a human being.
jethro

Postby TWoodWil » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:48 pm

What we see are assertions by Lodamun, not law or precedent. A nation may indeed use all practical authority within the legal scope of their sovereignty (within 500 kilometers of the shore), but there is nothing in precedent or law that allows nations to unilaterally establish quarantines, or indeed assert any form of authority, in international waters.

Violence may have only been used once, but the threat of violence is integral to your illegal, ill-advised, and ill-conceived scheme.

Anders Raske
Liberaldemokratische Allianz
Imperial Crownlands of Greater Hulstria
TWoodWil

Postby Mr.Yankees » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:07 pm

Mr. Raske, you are also making an assertion. There is no law or precedent saying that a nation cannot establish a quarantine zone to protect itself. It has always been accepted that nations under perceived attack by a foreign power are allowed to take all necessary actions to protect themselves.

Under international law, a quarantine is a legal act in peacetime, as opposed to a blockade, which is considered an act of aggression.

We will present to you the three factors under which a blockade is considered legal. If Lodamun's situation applies to this case (a blockade), then a quarantine is more than called for.

First Factor: Value of what's being valued- What's more valued than our own soil
Second Factor: Blockading Strenght- Clearly Lodamun posseses much more strength than Nova Terra and any other terrorist organization
Third and Final: Willpower- Lodamun has asserted the right to do anything necessary to stop any ships trying to run the quarantine.

As you can see, Lodamun eve qualified for a legal blockade but considering the fact that we are in peacetime, we have introduced a quarantine.

That, my friend, is all the evidence of international law you need.

Sincerely,

Elizabeth Kynes
Minister of Foreign Affairs
United Republics of Lodamun

OOC: A quarantine is, in fact, legal during peacetime in the real world. Feel free to look it up. International law authorizes quarantines during peacetime.
Fighting for the people, supported by the people.
Mr.Yankees

Postby MrBean111 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:12 pm

To The Lodamun Foreign Affairs Ministry:
I thank Ms. Kynes for providing me with that legislative information and responded with respect though she or her Ministry has still has not told us how Lodamun came up with the money to hire these private companies and/or get the manpower to build so many ships. Lodamun did go through both a economic and government crisis, not just the second one. Having a largely funded Defense Ministry doesn't exactly mean that it is in anyway more efficient than any other Defense Ministry on Terra; same goes for other Ministries, for example Greater Hulstria has over 165 billion crowns invested in Internal Affairs but that doesn't make our Police Department any better than Telamon or Alorias.

I also echo the statements made by Governor-General and fellow Hulstrian Anders Raske that while we respect Lodamun's right to protect itself, it does not have the right to infringe these protocals or establish a massive quarantine well beyond the limits of 500 kilometers that can harm other nation's ability to perform their trade that have nothing do with this whole situtation whatsoever. There is no international argeement or treaty that justifies Lodamun going over the 500k limit and they have still yet to provide one; you have given us you're definition of why this is legal but you still have not given us any hard proof. Lodamun has obviously enough ships to protect the entire coastline of their country inch by inch and should instead to work with allies using their intelligence agencies to track movements of suspected terrorists and take patrols of the area rather than locking it down in a quarantine. If Lodamun is so powerful, why take such massive steps to block an organization that you can clearly squash? There are much more resources Lodamun can use rather than shutting down that part of the ocean. I hope Lodamun understands where we are coming from.

We can solve this now if Lodamun can argee to going back to their 500k limit or reduce their quarantine in a way that trading routes can be open to peaceful nations that don't have anything do with this conflict or have exbited any sort of hostile action.

Sincerely,
Foreign Affairs Minister Gerald von Keither
The Imperial Crownlands of Greater Hulstria
"Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets"
MrBean111

Postby jethro » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:13 pm

So you're argument, broken down to it's core, is "Might Makes Right"? Jesus, why do I even bother trying to be the force of evil in Terra politics...
jethro

Postby GreekIdiot » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:23 pm

Do not expect justifications from a dictatorship. They do whatever they please and explain to no one. The Liberal Party is a classic example of an egoistical attitude towards the international community. Crafting a risk, in the particular case, Nova Terra, and then using that argument in the discussions is pretty much all the weaponry the current, pathetic government of Lodamun possesses.

Mr. Kynes, I believe that Lodamun has enough manpower to protect its own soil at its own soil, and as you said, our nation has a much more advanced, both in quantity and level, military then Nova Terra. Let's just simply say that you are afraid of losing influence around the area and the only reason hidden beneath this quarantine, peace protecting act is your will for power. You stepped onto international legislation and have blockaded commercial routes, amongst many other right secured by international law. The sea is not yours Mr. Kynes.

Signed,
Gir-jonahan Sektual
Imperial Revolutionist Coalition
The Terran Times
Also being that guy who's pretending to be this guy.
GreekIdiot

Postby TWoodWil » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:26 pm

Mr.Yankees wrote:OOC: A quarantine is, in fact, legal during peacetime in the real world. Feel free to look it up. International law authorizes quarantines during peacetime.

OOC: I am well aware, but what is legal or illegal in the real world has as much bearing on Terra as what's legal or illegal in, for example, the Star Wars universe.
TWoodWil

Postby Opakidabar » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:29 pm

ooc:
You bastards! I was going to have a discussion within CNC news featuring representatives from all sides on the subject. But everything is said there already :cry:
Military power is fucked up. Lodamun can not alone have about 50% of Terran aircraft carriers. But that is to be discussed either under moderation or General Discussions section.
Jethro, no need for OOC comments here. I have not yet found the right way to handle them, but I would suggest these type of discussions to happen under Moderation or General Discussion section. Leaving this one for RP purposes.
YankeeHater, with nick like this you can never grow outside the shadow of Yankee.
TWoodWil, keep on the good job.
Mr.Yankees, my suggestion is keep on the good work in increasing Lodamun's power through NATO and UNT. Doing that through RPing increased military might of Lodamun itself is never gonna work. I like the quarantine RP idea, I guess everyone should understand that it gives some spark - nation playing world cop. So please no OOC attacks on the idea itself! IC attacks on the event are more than welcomed.

I was bossy here, but I just had to write this. Just my point of view. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=178 to discuss ooc.
Opakidabar

Postby Mr.Yankees » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:31 pm

Foreign Affairs Minister Gerald von Keither,

I will emphasize the fact that we did not go through a catastrophic financial crisis. Yes, we did a financial crisis when our government was tumbling but that was more than fifty years ago. Yes, we have had recessions along the way but what country hasn't. After all, the global economy affects us all.

Lodamun has a large economy accentuated by its high consumption and investments (2/3 of our GDP come from there). Of course, our Finance Minister can give you a much better detailed explanation on how our economy operates.

Our Defense Ministry is highly organized and the power structure is very clearly defined by our laws in order to create as much efficiency as possible. Of course, all countries are not 100% efficient and we will never claim that. We are, however, highly efficient. Our Defense budget is also very large, almost 12% of our GDP during peacetime. The corporations receiving these contracts are very experienced and they are able to offer us good deals for all of the equipment we have requested.

Again, our Finance Minister may be able to explain this better but do keep in mind the size of our economy and the value of our currency (the highest in Terra). It is also very important to notice that we have never gone into deficit spending in more than one hundred years.

As for the quarantine, I have provided evidence of what the international law says. My argument is more than supported by it (OOC: If you want a treaty or legislation, forget about it. You know that is impossible to obtain. No one has ever bothered to make a list of international laws in Particracy. I am going by the real world's laws. That's the best I can do. Of course, I can BS my way out of it but that's no fun.).

Sincerely,

Elizabeth Kynes
Minister of Foreign Affairs
United Republics of Lodamun
Fighting for the people, supported by the people.
Mr.Yankees

Postby TWoodWil » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:16 pm

TWoodWil

PreviousNext

Return to World Events