Particracy World Cup OOC thread

World events, conflicts, conferences and visits from all over.

Particracy World Cup OOC thread

Postby Zanz » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:55 pm

Current World Cup: 2, hosted by Egelion

Want to talk some smack about your team? Want to ask questions of the host(s)? Wondering about your crappy results? Post in here and questions will be answered, trash will be talked, and friends will be made.

Previous WC winners:

PTWC1: Rutania
Last edited by Zanz on Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Just a bunch of shit.
Zanz

Re: Particracy World Cup 1 OOC thread

Postby Jalal Al-e-Ahmad » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:23 pm

WHY DID WE NOT CRUSH KAFURI DOGS.

Signed,
Sorry-I-didn't-RP-much-I've-been-busy-and-spread-myself-too-RP-thin-lately
What you aspire to as revolutionaries is a new master. You will get one. - Jacques Lacan
Jalal Al-e-Ahmad

Postby meisme » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:28 pm

Well, it is nice. So, how's everyone's team? (Jalal, you don't need to anwser :lol: )
meisme

Location: Being taken to the gates of Valhalla, all shiny and chrome

Postby Zanz » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:38 pm

Jalal: Clearly the Kafuri dogs were meant to be crushed by the Telamonese Royals on MD4 ;)

meisme: Telamon is doing great :D so far so good.

I am open to constructive criticism from anyone who has some to offer. I have participated in WCs on NationStates in the past (albeit the DISTANT past) but never hosted one myself, so I'm as new to this as anyone in the PT community. Some questions I do have that brought on the creation of this thread (I really should have created an OOC thread earlier):
  1. Is the real life time between matches alright? Am I giving you enough time to post RPs that you feel are up to your expectations? Would you prefer shorter or longer times between matches?
  2. Am I giving enough info on how to do things, where stuff is supposed to be posted, what is expected in RPs, etc.? I think I must be because the RPs are great, but I don't want to assume.
  3. Do you plan on participating again when we host another WC?
  4. Any suggestions on what we can do to make the experience better next time around?

As hadrex mentioned, it is always a good idea to begin considering the hosts of the next cup. He has the right idea of it. The best format, I believe, would be to have one experienced host and one inexperienced cohost that run the show together. Both hadrex and meisme have expressed interest to me on IRC as having experience and the desire to do something like this. Is anyone interested in helping them out? I, of course, would be more than happy to help OOCly as well, just ICly I shouldn't host the WC again at least for a while.

EDIT: Also, I figure I'll take the opportunity to plug #ptsport (which is, thusfar, underused) and #particracy, two IRC channels accessible from esper.net that can make connecting and discussing with fellow PT players much easier. It can be quite helpful for your RPing to have immediate contact with your peers.
Just a bunch of shit.
Zanz

Postby meisme » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:58 pm

Are other people allow to ask for constructive criticism? Cause since I don't need to post the game results now (Thanks Hadrex), now's is as good as time as any to ask for any.
meisme

Postby Zanz » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:02 pm

Use this thread for whatever you'd like, meisme :)
Just a bunch of shit.
Zanz

Postby meisme » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:04 pm

Okay then, criticized me then on my RP currently. (Note: Do to us being in a game, today's RP will be focused on the team. But, it's still be in the same style.)
meisme

Postby mrab » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:35 am

Zanz wrote:Jalal: Clearly the Kafuri dogs were meant to be crushed by the Telamonese Royals on MD4 ;)

meisme: Telamon is doing great :D so far so good.

I am open to constructive criticism from anyone who has some to offer. I have participated in WCs on NationStates in the past (albeit the DISTANT past) but never hosted one myself, so I'm as new to this as anyone in the PT community. Some questions I do have that brought on the creation of this thread (I really should have created an OOC thread earlier):
  1. Is the real life time between matches alright? Am I giving you enough time to post RPs that you feel are up to your expectations? Would you prefer shorter or longer times between matches?
  2. Am I giving enough info on how to do things, where stuff is supposed to be posted, what is expected in RPs, etc.? I think I must be because the RPs are great, but I don't want to assume.
  3. Do you plan on participating again when we host another WC?
  4. Any suggestions on what we can do to make the experience better next time around?

As hadrex mentioned, it is always a good idea to begin considering the hosts of the next cup. He has the right idea of it. The best format, I believe, would be to have one experienced host and one inexperienced cohost that run the show together. Both hadrex and meisme have expressed interest to me on IRC as having experience and the desire to do something like this. Is anyone interested in helping them out? I, of course, would be more than happy to help OOCly as well, just ICly I shouldn't host the WC again at least for a while.

EDIT: Also, I figure I'll take the opportunity to plug #ptsport (which is, thusfar, underused) and #particracy, two IRC channels accessible from esper.net that can make connecting and discussing with fellow PT players much easier. It can be quite helpful for your RPing to have immediate contact with your peers.

Well, since you asked...

1. The time between matches is far too slow for my taste. No adrenaline involved at all.
2. The organization is highly satisfactory.
3. This is not really my thing, but if somebody else in Rutania wants to do this again, I can't just sit back and not win us some points.
5. This world cup is goes so slow that - pardon my expression - the pain is prolonged. Not that this has been awful - I'm having a great time coming up with all manner of self lacerations the athletes can inflict on themselves - it's just that I'd rather focus on politicking. So if there's going to be a regular world cup series at this rate, it must be few and far between since it upends fundamental Particracy activity.

But these are just the opinions of a tyro, so take them for what they're worth...
mrab

Postby Zanz » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:22 am

mrab wrote:Well, since you asked...

1. The time between matches is far too slow for my taste. No adrenaline involved at all.

Thanks for responding, first of all :) While I understand that a period of several days may be a bit long between matches, I wanted to encourage players to get RP in, since that's really what distinguishes this attempt at a Particracy WC from previous attempts, in my opinion. So far I have LOVED all the RPs and I'm happy with the quality. So it's all about balance. Do more people agree that they could get quality RPs up quicker than the 2-3 days I've been giving? If so, we can definitely look at speeding it up.

Also important to note is that because we had a strange number of entrants (11?! Come on, people!) I had to stagger the matchdays and not everyone plays every matchday. This is not ideal, since to be honest it screws with the rankings by punishing people with byes if they choose not to RP on an offday. That'll have to be something to be looked at in future.

mrab wrote:2. The organization is highly satisfactory.

Glad you think so :)

mrab wrote:3. This is not really my thing, but if somebody else in Rutania wants to do this again, I can't just sit back and not win us some points.

I'm very sorry to hear that it's not your thing; I rather like your RPs. It's refreshing to see the way you approach the RPs, since the sport itself is not your focus. I do wonder, what happened in Rutania with the roster, RPs, etc.? Afrocentric posted but never completed a roster and then you came out of nowhere with everything you've done. Did you discuss it and decide to take on the challenge?

mrab wrote:This world cup is goes so slow that - pardon my expression - the pain is prolonged. Not that this has been awful - I'm having a great time coming up with all manner of self lacerations the athletes can inflict on themselves - it's just that I'd rather focus on politicking. So if there's going to be a regular world cup series at this rate, it must be few and far between since it upends fundamental Particracy activity.

I'm VERY sorry to hear this. The intent of the WC is not to cause "pain," no matter what anyone might have heard about me from Darvian back in the day ( ;) ) I am glad you're finding a way to enjoy the RP pieces, but I do not wish for this to in any way "upend" the day to day activity you do in Particracy. If it comes to that, I would hope that you bow out and focus on the things you enjoy rather than things you feel obligated to do. Is there anyway (other than making the pain end faster :P ) that I could do to make the experience more enjoyable for you?

Thank you in any case for your comments!
Just a bunch of shit.
Zanz

Postby mrab » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:09 am

Zanz wrote:Thanks for responding, first of all :) While I understand that a period of several days may be a bit long between matches, I wanted to encourage players to get RP in, since that's really what distinguishes this attempt at a Particracy WC from previous attempts, in my opinion. So far I have LOVED all the RPs and I'm happy with the quality. So it's all about balance. Do more people agree that they could get quality RPs up quicker than the 2-3 days I've been giving? If so, we can definitely look at speeding it up.

Also important to note is that because we had a strange number of entrants (11?! Come on, people!) I had to stagger the matchdays and not everyone plays every matchday. This is not ideal, since to be honest it screws with the rankings by punishing people with byes if they choose not to RP on an offday. That'll have to be something to be looked at in future.

Ah, that's perfectly understandable. I'm too fast for my own good anyway.

zanz wrote:Glad you think so :)

;)

Zanz wrote:I'm very sorry to hear that it's not your thing; I rather like your RPs. It's refreshing to see the way you approach the RPs, since the sport itself is not your focus. I do wonder, what happened in Rutania with the roster, RPs, etc.? Afrocentric posted but never completed a roster and then you came out of nowhere with everything you've done. Did you discuss it and decide to take on the challenge?

Sports in general is not my thing. If this were about chess, I could have provided a half-decent commentary. As for Afrocentric and I, we discussed the matter beforehand, and I offered to develop the roster just after he's posted one. That's why he did not finish it. Which it all as well may be since I'm fairly certain I'm more creative. I also made the deduction - and I'm not sure if it's correct - that Afrocentric knows little more than I do about "football" since we're both Americans. And I joined the RP with the impression that I was going to play the sidelines, but perhaps that'll kick in later.

Zanz wrote:I'm VERY sorry to hear this. The intent of the WC is not to cause "pain," no matter what anyone might have heard about me from Darvian back in the day ( ;) ) I am glad you're finding a way to enjoy the RP pieces, but I do not wish for this to in any way "upend" the day to day activity you do in Particracy. If it comes to that, I would hope that you bow out and focus on the things you enjoy rather than things you feel obligated to do. Is there anyway (other than making the pain end faster :P ) that I could do to make the experience more enjoyable for you?

Thank you in any case for your comments!

Don't fuss over it. "prolong the pain" is just an expression I used since I couldn't come up with anything more accurate, but I thought that that stock, popular expression explained the essence of the matter well enough. You did a fine job with world cup, and my comments should not trouble you at all. And if you can observe from the size spread of your comments and the size spread of mine, I am rather a linear and focused person. I cannot have one thing come over my desk and not obsess over it. My being driven away from the Rutanian Parliament is far from being anyone's fault, least of all yours.

Zanz wrote:Is there anyway (other than making the pain end faster :P ) that I could do to make the experience more enjoyable for you?

No. That's between Afrocentric and I. We are going to crush all of you.
mrab

Next

Return to World Events