Selucian Shortcut

World events, conflicts, conferences and visits from all over.

Selucian Shortcut

Postby joshnz » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:23 pm

This was published by the Selucian Libereium recently and is a great concern of the International community. Tis a significant event.
PRIME MINISTER/OFFICIIS, RICHARD STARK SLAMS SHORT CUT

14 October 3759 - The Prime Minister/Officiis Richard Stark has made a serious announcement to vessels that use the shortcut through the Selucian islands. This comes after a Scientific Study has proven adverse effects directly related to the sea traffic between the Selucian islands. It is also clear that Selucian waters provide a perfect short cut to nations above Selucia. PM Officiis Stark was flanked with three ministers, Minister of Foreign Affairs, James Wellington, Minister of Defense, Alexander Schrattenhaler and Minister of Environment and Tourism, Hector Serepisos. The transcript of his announcement is below.

I come here today to make a very important announcement to the international community. An announcement that left ignored will leave harsh consequences not just to your relationship with the Selucian Commonwealth but with the penalties that follow. Moving on, I was recently briefed by Environment and Tourism Minister, Hector Serepisos, on a scientific study the Environment Ministry conducted to measure pollution levels across Selucia. The results are disgusting and it has been found that there is a coherent relationship between these terrible results and the sea traffic in the Selucian area. Looking more in depth to who exactly contributed to this traffic, it has been made clear that a large proportion of the traffic is international not domestic. This is why this announcement is very important to the international community.

Not only has Selucia's pollution has hit new lows BUT tourism revenues revenues have decreased significantly too. Why? Imagine sunbathing on a beach in Auroria and watching the pleasant amount of industrial ships pass through the islands. Sounds appealing? I think not. Selucia's beautiful reputation is deteriorating. There is too much international traffic going through our waters between the islands and too much international traffic going too close to our shores.

So in order to battle this, today I have come to reveal some new penalties to prevent further damage on the Selucian people in the Selucian Waters Amendment Bill of 3759 that I will present to the Capitale Imperirum. In this bill, those nations that have treaties signed with our nation will have a limited amount of private and state (e.g. military) vessels that will be able to trespass our waters as a shortcut. It does not need to say in treaty this effect, but the treaty acknowledges an alliance and thus a further benefit. These can only be done from treaties such as the Selucia - Baltusia partnership or with Zardugal e.t.c. Those without a formal alliance will not be able to trespass our waters for a shortcut neither public of private. Any nation's public or private vessels that travel to Selucia via waters on a valid commercial basis, will be allowed. There will also be a limit to the amount of our traffic allowed in our waters regardless of their nation. However, those with formal alliances have priority. Those who breach this, will be heavily fined and repeated action will lead to detainment. We are able to exercise our laws within our waters. We will also mark our boundaries with bouys to highlight where our waters start and end, in compliance with the Law of the Sea published in 2094. Those who enter must review their citizenship as well, immediately at arrival otherwise they will violate protocols and will be subjected to similar fining and detainment.

This will help positively impact Selucia's pollution levels and tourism revenues. Selucia is considerate of her environment and it is about sustainability. I also wish to point out, not all international traffic is in the wrong but this bill will set things straight. International Traffic in Selucia has until this bill passes before we can enact. Thank You

PM Officiis Stark before his announcement

Some of the international traffic

"Democracy, Rationality and Fraternity"
joshnz

Return to World Events