Indrala (OOC: First Person RP)

World events, conflicts, conferences and visits from all over.

Indrala (OOC: First Person RP)

Postby Liu Che/Zhuli » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:18 pm

Thread for all of the first person RPs that go on in Indrala.
Liu Che/Zhuli

Re: Indrala (OOC: First Person RP)

Postby Wu-Shaoxian » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:59 pm

Tian'an, 3925

"Alright....please...." Near the edge of the couch, Duke Yuan Ling stood by the side, his hands nervously scrapping against the seam of his gown, twirling the side of his sleeve as he bit his lip, nervously. Along the side, only a few feet away, sat Duke Wu Shi on one end of the velvet couch, legs on the ground, sipping at a white cup of Indralan tea before he placed it back on a porcelain holder. Along the other end, other scholar-officials and middle-class artisans were sitting around, nodding, some of them looking to the side, learned men like Liu Zhengli, Jing Shan, Huang Shi, Luo Xin, Kang Meng and Qiao Jiemin. It was hard to know what they, and everyone else, were thinking, all the members of the Yigu Central Committee, but Duke Yuan Ling certainly knew what he was thinking. What he was thinking was just how utterly worried he was looking at the news and seeing everything and anything that had been going on.

"Let's get this over with....now...." He said, hands stiffening, as he paused again in thought. "I think we all understand what's happening."

"No, your Lordship, I don't think anyone actually does." Qiao Jiemin bowed respectfully, leaning to one side. "Its a confusing mess and I think that..."

"Alright, alright..." He sighed, biting his lips, pursed in deep, strained thought. "Let's go through the agenda..."

"Right, the agenda." Duke Wu Shi raised his hands in defeat and frustration. "Iconoclastic demonstrations now linked to us, a direct condemnation from the Imperial Cabinet, two new factions passing unbelievably authoritarian laws, clearly hell-bent on cracking down on these demonstrators....I think its pretty clear what is going on your Lordship...our Faction is in crisis mode now..."

"Yes...yes we are..." He nodded gravely, unsure. "Its a...tricky situation..."

"That's one way to put it, your Lordship..." Luo Xin sighed, nodding gravely.

"And the thing is, I think all of us agree with the ideals and principles of these protestors and these students, but the problem is it cannot be spoken out loud. New Culture, iconoclasm, feminism...these are ideals we have stood up for as well..." Duke Yuan Ling spoke boldly, to grave nods all around the room from the men before him. "I think its undeniable just how irksome this balancing act is. The students are going about this the wrong way, they mean well, they do, but I think they failed to realise what a disruption and backlash they would cause from their actions. And really, things aren't getting better any day."

"We're gonna have to look at slightly better solutions, but right now..." Duke Wu Shi commented, "The most important thing is just making sure the situation doesn't escalate. We need to make sure the students are not arrested, that they are left unharmed and the government doesn't believe we are in-charge of the protestors."

"What about Gong Xiaoqing and the other members of the Yigu Faction who are now forming demonstrators and travelling by monorail down to Dengzhou University to show solidarity with the protestors? Or Wang Ning and Guo Fengtian who are in the Yigu Faction?" Huang Shi questioned.

"Its...not easy to know how to deal with them." Duke Yuan Ling bit his lip. "Truth be told, I think it is best we leave Gong Xiaoqing and his followers alone. They may be members of our Faction, but we can't order them to stand down or the situation may worsen. Yes, we makes it appear like we are in charge of the movement, but we are not, so there's nothing we can do gentleman." He announced. "And yes, I think we need to discuss the matter further here but before that, I think we need to talk with the Jien Faction immediately, have them know about our concerns and our lack of involvement...." He nodded over to Huang Shi, who nodded in return, a smirk on his face, not one of glee, but one of gravity, as he bowed his head and headed over to the side and towards the courtyard of the building.

Dengzhou University, 3925

It was a huge, unending sea of members, all dressed in the lime-green shirts and dresses of the Yigu Faction, just a long row of 1,500 artisans, small business owners and other middle-class members of the Yigu Faction, supporters of the New Culture Movement. And in front of them was the incorruptible and uncompromising Gong Xiaoqing, dressed in a green shirt like all the others, face staunch and rigid as he walked forward almost as if in a march, on-lookers turning their heads to see the long trail of green traversing up their streets and into the gates and campus grounds of the prominent Dengzhou University. There, the long trail of Yigu Faction members were greeted with unending, rousing applause from the huge sea of students gathered outside onto the courtyard of the university and beyond, waving banners, books and jumping up and down in excitement. They mingled, walking around, all as Gong Xiaoqing nodded and smiled, shaking hands with students here and there as they made their way across. The flashes of the cameras of the media were almost blinding, but Gong Xiaoqing was not deterred. In front of a reporter, he smiled, and boldly declared in front of the whole crowd "Here the New Culture Movement reaches a new high, and we in the Yigu Faction stand close by, in solidarity with the stewards of Indralan progress!"

As the crowd went nuts, screaming and hooting excitedly, Gong Xiaoqing smiled, walking over to the side as he saw two young men and one angry, steel-faced female student at the side, all dressed very-nicely in cardigans and chinos. They were, of course, Wang Ning, Guo Fengtian and She Ling, all young student leaders of the Students for a Humane Society organisation, and all members of the Yigu Faction as well.

"Mr. Gong..."

"Call me Xiaoqing, please." The humble man in his mid-40s nodded to the young student. "I wouldn't have missed this at all. I wanted to come here for a long time, and I promise I'll keep coming. Its the least we can all do, I suppose."

"Any progress or word from on high?" Wang Ning asked, expectantly.

Gong Xiaoqing sighed. "Nope. Not a word. Nothing at all. I've tried to reach them but...." He looked over to the side. "I'll keep trying, I promise. Just keep up the good work, and with all this attention, the Yigu factional leadership cannot ignore you all for long...."

Tian'an, Imperial Palace, 3925

Along the long, unending halls, with an edge of imperial grandeur, scholar-official Huang Shi walked alongside his manservant, Li Yan, who walked meekly behind him as Huang Shi strolled in front in his flowing scholarly gown, licking his lips, his hands folded to the side simply with a grim expression on his face, traversing the walls and corners of the Imperial Palace, entering closer and deeper into the heart of the Palace, where, of course, the Cabinet members of the Six Boards met. He paused, stilling his racing heart as he gestured for Li Yan to walk before him, still meekly bowed forward, as Huang Shi walked behind him.

As they reached a closed room, the office of the Six Boards, Huang Shi nodded and Li Yan entered slowly, a message in his hand, and bowed in front of various officials in the office room. "Forgive me, sirs, message from scholar-official Huang Shi, who respectfully requests a private audience with His Lordship Duke Zhang Yi, the Grand Preceptor, if it so pleases His Lordship." He bowed again in respect and obeisance, and could only hope for the best as his master, Huang Shi, waited outside patienly and in thought.
疑古派/Yigu Faction of the Da Yingdala Tianchao (The Celestial Empire of Great Indrala)
自由進歩党/Liberal Progressives of the People's Republic of Sekowo
Wu-Shaoxian

Postby Liu Che/Zhuli » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:21 pm

Heavenly Palace, Tian'an 3925

Stress filled the already aged room. The lines in the wooden paneling reflected the wrinkles of the men in the room. All were under the age of 60, but looked to be a decade older than they are. That is, of course, what power and government does to you. However, the faster aging process tends to increase in speed when a regime that has, for the most part, held power for a millennium is challenged, at its core, no less. It was certainly showing upon the faces of the most powerful men in Indrala.

These men are known as the Three Lords and Six Ministers. In addition to the Divine Emperor, these seven men collectively ruled the Celestial Empire. All are highly educated individuals, having secured places at the Imperial University in Tian'an and passed the jinshi examination, making them experts in the philosophy of Jienism and the more practical political sciences and public policy. Regardless of their qualifications, all of them held a deep regard for the role of Jienism, not only in Indrala's government, but as the soul of the nation.

A hand slammed down upon the table with immense force, breaking the silence that had over taken the chamber.

"Enough of this nonsense. Talking with them won't work. They are naive rabble who are publicly expressing their selfish interests. I say we make an example of them to ensure such 'doubt' never creeps into the minds of the people again."

Of course, the Minister of War, Marshal Liu Yun, would desire to use force. Those will military backgrounds tend to go with what they know: death.

"Minister Liu, force of arms will not remedy the situation, rather, talking and education. The people must trust their government! How could they trust us if we killed them? How would that be benevolent? Ji Enzi would be ashamed!"

"Minister Yu", Liu Yun exhaled, "it is Ji Enzi that is being shamed by these students! They are no more than Hulstrian Septembrists desiring to colonize our empire and turn it into a western, Hosian province."

The Grand Preceptor had remained dormant for too long. Unity among the ministers had been broken. Clearly, the emergence of factions within the bureaucracy that were more than happy to use force encouraged the Minister of War to resort to less than virtuous proclamations. Zhang Yi could not take the pointless bickering anymore. It was he who had to bring order to the meeting and the land. Rising from his place, all of the ministers bowed their heads.

"Gentlemen, we need not fight. The fact of the matter is that we have become entrenched, stagnant, and lazy. Power has gone to our heads and we merely see it as a way to stay in power. This view is no longer our view. Ji Enzi would denounce us here and now if he were alive."

Pausing, Zhang scanned the room, attempting to determine who planned to continue their dissent. No one looked up, for they knew their jobs would be at risk. Propriety still ruled the imperial court.

"I motion to send the Minister of Rites, Yu Jian, to Dengzhou to address the protesters. He will be accompanied by an entourage of scholars from the Imperial University. They shall first meet privately with faculty and administration at Dengzhou University, then meet with student and civic leaders partaking in the protests. In addition, the Ministry of Education will conduct an investigation of Dengzhou University's curriculum and teaching methods to see if they have been meeting the national Jienism standards. If anyone is responsible, it is us for not enforcing the Jienist studies coursework required at all schools from primary through university level education, the teachers and administrators for not complying, and parents for not performing their roles in society. Raise your hand if you are in favor."

All but Liu Yun and Duke Cao Li, the Grand Protector, immediately raised their hands. The other two begrudgingly showed their support, not wishing to defy the man who was the emperor's chief adviser. Before further discussion could take place, a man carrying a piece of paper entered the room and spoke. His request could not come at a more opportune time.

Nodding his head, Zhang Yi beckoned for Huang Shi to enter.
Liu Che/Zhuli

Postby Wu-Shaoxian » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:31 am

Heavenly Palace, Tian'an, 3925

Huang Shi entered the room slowly, glancing across and seeing the men all standing there, with a gait of power in them as beads of sweat trickled across his cheek and his neck. He bit his lip, pursing them together as he took two low bows to the men before him. "Gentlemen, your Lordships, you all know who I am, a scholar-official who passed the imperial examinations, who is now with the Yigu Faction leadership. I have come here from the orders of my Lord, the Duke Yuan Ling, who wishes to speak about this matter and has sent me here to deliver our concerns and our thoughts."

"First of all..." He began, bowing. "The Yigu Faction would like to inform your Lordships that we have no involvement or control over the actions of the protestors, the Students for a Humane Society, or the actions of Gong Xiaoqing, who has led a group of our members to meet with the protestors in the Anle province. We understand that some of the students may have worked with the Yigu Faction in the past, and Gong Xiaoqing is a lower-ranking member of the Yigu Faction, but none of us in the Yigu Central Committee ever approved of or organised these demonstrations. We only wish for peaceful dialogue and discourse to rule the day, and we know that learned men such as yourselves only wish to rule over Indrala with grace. So we wish to confirm our lack of involvement and ties to the demonstrations involved."

"Secondly, we wish to inform the Imperial Cabinet that we are greatly concerned by the presence of the Datong Faction attempting to introduce a law to break-up and arrest these demonstrators. We are concerned because we fear what would happen if they ever rose to power and what it would mean for the students. You see, we may not be organising the protests, but we still care very deeply for these student leaders and we hope to register our concerns that we wish for the student leaders and their demonstration to be left alone. We fear what would happen to them and the spirit of young intellectuals across Indrala if their demonstrations were to be disturbed, disrupted, or for them to be harmed in any manner. That is all we wish to register. We are all servants of the blessed Son of Heaven here. We only hope that cooperation and mutual support can help to end this stalemate, and we know the wisdom of Ji Enzi guides all of your actions." Huang Shi bowed again, "Thank you, your Lordships."

Home of Duke Yuan Ling, Tian'an, 3925

Back in the Yuan Ling Residence, Duke Yuan Ling continued the meeting, "I suggest we continue with our present policy of silence. We cannot say anything about these demonstrations. We are already facing so many problems here, what with the Datong Faction attempting to suppress the demonstrations and all, there is simply too much at stake here."

Duke Wu Shi nodded in turn, "Mm...yes there is no other viable option left for us. We cannot possibly criticise these demonstrations or call for them to end, for many of them are loyal members of the Yigu Faction, especially this Gong Xiaoqing. They are all following the spirit of Yigu and the New Culture Movement, our existence depends on their continued existence and political activity, and we cannot possibly jeopardise our future and the future of Indrala by attempting to interfere with these peaceful demonstrations."

"So that's it then?" Fearfully remarked scholar-official Liu Zhengli, raising his arms in anxiety. "We can neither confirm nor deny our alleigance or support to the demonstrators? How long can we possibly remain in limbo about this? All of you gentlemen do realise that there is an army of journalists outside this residence right now, they know we are discussing and our silence is purposeful...."

Duke Yuan Ling raised one arm abruptly, cutting Liu off. "We have no choice. We cannot endorse these demonstrators and risk our reputation in the Court Conference by openly supporting the actions of these demonstrators. Plus, we have no real control over the students, and if we support them and their protests turn ugly, we'd have no real way to extricate ourselves from that. We cannot oppose the protests, for then we disavow everything we stand for, our support for iconoclasm, the doubting of antiquity and a re-look at traditional Jienist philosophy. All we can do is register our concerns with the Imperial Cabinet and do nothing more."

"Agreed." A few officials and artisans said as they nodded in thought.

"Actually...." Middle-class artisan-merchant Qiao Jiemin spoke up, looking across the room gravely. "I think we may be limiting our perspective here. These students have done much to raise awareness for our cause of doubting historical antiquity, why not push the envelope a little further? We could, after all, both openly support these students and then use them to highlight our concerns to the Indralan people. They could help us raise our profile and our national influence, and what better way to improve our influence than to ride off the wave of the present New Culture Movement gripping Indralan intellectual circles?"

"That's crazy..." Liu Zhengli started.

"Is it?" Qiao continued. "Or maybe I'm the only one here seeing the light. It seems to me as if we are worrying about nothing. These students are idealistic and loyal to Indrala, there is nothing to fear from them. We simply must act to both protect them from harm, show solidarity with their ideals and have them chant against the Datong Faction."

"No!" Duke Yuan Ling spoke up here, silencing the room. "Enough, I won't let us drag ourselves into a political war. We will not engage in this sort of rabble-rousing. The students will continue to protest and demonstrate and we will remain silent. Silence is our only viable policy."

"Silence does not feel very progressive, my Lordship." Qiao Jiemin stated curtly.

"It is progressive if it helps us protect ourselves." Duke Yuan Ling spoke. "Or do you want the Jien Faction to crack down on these students?" The room went silent. "Qiao Jiemin, did you stop to think about what could happen to these students if we went down this path? Or do you not believe not there must be members of the Jien Faction that secretly wish these students could be conveniently removed." Qiao Jiemin remained silent, biting his lip. "We shall hear no more of this. We can only talk and speak with the Jien Faction and hope for the best, and there is nothing more to be done than that. Like I said, silence now is our best defense. We neither support nor disavow the Dengzhou protests, and I believe that's the best way to do it."

"What about Gong Xiaoqing and all the Yigu Faction members who out there with the protests? Wouldn't that make silence nearly impossible?" Liu Zhengli asked with concern.

Duke Yuan Ling paused in thought, a sombre expression over his eyes. "It will make things hard."

"Should we speak with him?"

Another pause from him. "No." And nothing else more was said by him.
疑古派/Yigu Faction of the Da Yingdala Tianchao (The Celestial Empire of Great Indrala)
Wu-Shaoxian

Postby Liu Che/Zhuli » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:51 pm

Retaking his seat at the table, Zhang Yi allowed his subordinate to speak without interruption. He knew some of the more devout or hot-headed individuals in the room would be more than happy to expel the bureaucrat and have him stripped of his rank. These men, however, were easily kept in check by Zhang's imposing presence. There is a reason he was Grand Preceptor and had the ear of the emperor. Before his colleagues could speak, the Grand Preceptor rose.

"Official Huang, let me first so that no one here doubts the loyalty of the Yigu Faction and their support of the Son of Heaven. Your colleagues are of benefit to the empire and aid it in its administration and benefiting the people. Your assurances of no involvement in the protests are happily welcomed, although I must state that this country maintains a freedom of speech and encourages the free exchange of ideas, for only dialogue can create solutions that benefit the people.

"As the leader of the Central Government and His Imperial Majesty's chief advisor, I tell you that the government will not, in any way, disrupt the protests through violence. We do not support it or condone it. The students have the right to express themselves through protest, even if we disagree with it. In fact, to further alleviate your concerns, I will travel to meet with these protesters and engage them, for I believe that is what they truly wish, to feel like they are contributing to their nation. The Minister of Rites will accompany me. Can you suggest the government do anything else to alleviate this precarious situation?"
Liu Che/Zhuli

Postby Wu-Shaoxian » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:46 pm

Huang Shi bowed again, he felt the back of his robe scrape across the floor as he bowed forward in gratitude, and went up again. He scanned the room and knew from the faces of some of the Imperial Cabinet members there that, in fact, not everyone in the room felt he was a loyal servant of the Emperor. He bit his tongue, of course, about that, because the support of His Lordship Duke Zhang Yi was perhaps the most important approval he needed for this to work. So he bowed again and said, "Thank you, Your Lordship, we in the Yigu Faction are blessed to know such a tolerant, wise and tempered servant of the Emperor serves as His chief advisor."

He bowed, feeling the effusive praise roll of his lips as he almost heaved a sigh of relief at Duke Zhang Yi's response. He couldn't quite believe it, and he kept his calm. "We thank you for your confidence and your assurances, Your Lordship, and they do much to reassure us, servants of the Son of Heaven. We have seen the actions of the students and they, while holding their own personal and intellectual views, clearly wish to feel as if they are contributing to the future of our Celestial Empire. Perhaps with the advice and guidance of the highest leaders in this land, they may be counselled, educated and reassured that this nation is under good and wise guidance, and will do much to reassure them that their voices have indeed been heard and noted by the Court. Perhaps that is the most we can do in this difficult situation. We in the Yigu Faction will do all we can to control Gong Xiaoqing and his followers and ensure that nothing disrespectful or disruptive is conducted during your visit to Dengzhou University, Your Lordships. Please do not hesitate to ask anything of us that may be of assistance to you and to the Emperor. The only thing that I may add, Your Lordship," He bowed again, smiling in obeisance, "Is that one may take a gentle and counselling tone with these students. They are young and very idealistic, and perhaps do not yet know how to deal well with guidance from others."
Wu-Shaoxian

Postby Wu-Shaoxian » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:49 pm

Heavenly Palace, Tian'an, 3955

The top leadership of the Yigu Faction was seated around the table of the imperial palace, intoning, thinking, quietly, as out in the streets the protests continued loudly to no end. Amongst them, three men were clearly the leaders. His Lordship Duke Yuan Ling and His Lordship Wu Shi stood by the side, each abreast from the other, reading a book in the dim light of the imperial palace. Apart from them, further away, was the glimmering light of the Wu Zong Emperor, along with the quarters of his servants, his queen-consort and his various concubines, all mulling about their business while the government officials sighed, biting their lips in fear and anxiety.

"Its too far....I doubt it would make a huge effort to go in the opposite direction..." The official Huang Shi announced at the side, his body rested against a couch in the dimly-litted room. "It worries me of course, to see...all of it erupting again, its too fast."

"No." Duke Yuan Ling raised an arm in protest. "You worry too easily, my friend. This is exactly what we need. We cannot allow the rise of a new faction to interrupt our plans back from Tian'an. The onward march of progress must continue, whether the people can accept it or not. It is about time we started forging the society we promised our people when we catapulted into power on the backs of the New Culture Movement. Now is the time when we finally show it, Huang Shi. And we must accept that." He pronounced, gravely, nodding in response.

His eyebrows crossing, Qiao Jiemin spoke up, "I worry a bit, I must be honest here."

"Then don't..." Duke Wu Shi seemed adamant and cross. "We have done this before. We shall do it again. Something that makes a statement. Something that calls for the attention these demonstrations deserve. All we can do now is ride on the wave of these demonstrations and act in accordance with their principles. We cannot afford to alienate the base we worked so hard to nurture and forge. After all, those were our origins too."

"Fine!" Duke Yuan Ling raised his arms suddenly, silencing the officials huddled around the room. "I've made my mind up. We pass a law. Now. We do everything as provocative as possible. Legalise abortion. Legalise same-sex marriage. We bring the ideals of freedom and equality we promised the people when we launched this New Culture Movement and catapult them to a radical finish. That will teach the reactionaries a thing or too about messing with our government."

"Its too risky..." Huang Shi started, "We could..."

"I don't want to hear it, Huang Shi." Duke Yuan Ling retorted. "Get to work. We start our speeches and we begin drafting our approvals and showings of support for the demonstrations. We ask for our old customs and old traditions of Jienism to be conclusively reversed in our nation. As we promised in the start, and as we shall bring to a final end." He pronounced, nodding as everyone in the room slowly mulled in agreement, going back to their solemn tasks.

Dengzhou University, 3955

The sea of green looked intoxicating, the atmosphere electrifying and riveting. But the loud chants of the whole green sea of young, energetic students felt disarming, loud and petrifying all at once. It was the kind of strange spectacle that older generations of Indralans had never quite witnessed in their lifetime. The kind of socio-cultural upheaval of the New Culture Movement, repeated all at once in 3955.

Many of the original student leaders had returned. Wang Ning and Guo Fengtian were at the side, organising the protests by leading the chants, the billboards and the direction of the various marches and campaigns. She Ling was leading a feminist chant by the side with a group of energetic, enthusiastic young female students. The students and intellectuals of the Dengzhou University had just begun.

As the young students continued holding sign boards condemning the reactionary forces of Indrala, calling for an end to traditional Jienism and social conservatism, many of the young students called for radical reformation and social change, without a "moment's hesitation", in the words of the student leaders. Young students often tripped over each other in the excitement of the environment and the atmosphere.

She Ling and Wang Ning were discussing the plans for the march and protest in the corner. Throwing out idea after idea, each one seemed more radical and offensive than the other. "We get students to urinate in front of statues, smash temples, refuse to offer joss-sticks anymore..." Wang Ning said, smiling.

"No..." She Ling interrupted by the side. "It needs to be even more radical than that. Something that will shock and horrify the nation. Get us the attention we deserve. I have an idea for a bare-chested protest of young girls from the university, or better yet, book-burning sessions, or demonstrations where we take instruments of philosophical teachings and tear and burn them in front of the nation."

"I like it..." Wang Ning said, mulling over it as he contemplated it. "How are we ever going to survive the flak?"

"We won't...we will ride on it." She Ling smiled, her voice difficult to hear over the loud chants in the background as she gave a mischievous grin, "That's how we did it in the first time, after all...."
Wu-Shaoxian

Return to World Events