Language variables

Propose and review new legislative variables for the game.

Language variables

Postby jamescfm » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:29 pm

Some proposals on language for player/moderators to consider. Linked to this previous proposal by cm.
Name: The designation of an official language.

Category: Administrative

Options:
A single official language is designated by the government.
Multiple official languages are designated by the government.
A single official language is designated by the government but certain others are designated as recognised minority languages.
Multiple official languages are designated by the government and certain others are designated as recognised minority languages.
No official language is designated.

Name: Status of the official language(s) of the country (if one or more exists).

Options:
Any language may be spoken in public.
Only official languages may be spoken in public, other languages may be spoken in private.
Only official languages may be spoken in public or in private.

Name: Publication of government documents.

Options:
Government documents are published exclusively in the nation's official language(s).
Government documents are published in the nation's official language(s) by default but individuals may freely request documents in other languages.
Government documents are published in the nation's official language(s) by default but individuals may request documents in other languages for a fee.
jamescfm

Re: Language variables

Postby Aquinas » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:53 pm

Name: Language policy

Options:

There is an official national language(s) but unofficial languages are allowed.

There an official national language(s). The government reserves the discretion to issue orders regulating and/or forbidding other languages from being communicated.

There is no official policy on language.

Language policy is set at a sub-national government level.
Aquinas

Postby jamescfm » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:08 pm

I still think these would be useful additions, I appreciate Moderation might be busy but thought I'd just draw some attention to them.
jamescfm

Postby Auditorii » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:11 pm

The problem I have is with the first one, it would require a designation and that might present issues for a wide number of reasons; namely the adherence to Cultural Protocols. I can easily see a player who was less experience with the game coming to Trigunia, seeing its Russian but thinking "Well, I don't speak Russian, so I'm going to make the official language English AND Russian!" and while "harmless" to some degree, it could potentially start an issue.
Image Dorvik | Image Zardugal | Image Ostland (FBC)
-- Particracy Game Rules
-- Moderation Requests
-- Game Information
-- Particracy Discord
Auditorii

Postby Culto » Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:37 pm

Auditorii wrote:The problem I have is with the first one, it would require a designation and that might present issues for a wide number of reasons; namely the adherence to Cultural Protocols. I can easily see a player who was less experience with the game coming to Trigunia, seeing its Russian but thinking "Well, I don't speak Russian, so I'm going to make the official language English AND Russian!" and while "harmless" to some degree, it could potentially start an issue.

I think is very important and usefull the languages aspects of the nation, the issues that you give I think can be solved with a clarifying note.
Culto

Return to Laws