Religious Monuments

Propose and review new legislative variables for the game.

Religious Monuments

Postby Afrocentric » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:52 pm

Name of the Law/Policy: Religious monuments in front of Government buildings
Law/Policy Catagory: Religion

Options:

1. Religious monuments are not allowed in front of government buildings (Default)
2. Religious monuments are only allowed in front of courthouses
3. Religious monuments are allowed in front of government buildings provided they're 300 ft. away from the entrance
4. Religious monuments are allowed in front of government buildings as long as they're from recognized religions
5. Religious monuments are allowed in front of government buildings
6. All government buildings have religious monuments in front of them
7. Local governments decide whether to allow religious monuments in front of government buildings

Effects:

1. Increase in secularism
2. Slight increase in fanaticism, decrease in secularism
3. Slight increase in fanaticism, slight decrease in secularism
4. Slight increase in fanaticism, small decrease in civil liberties, slight decrease in secularism
5. Slight increase in fanaticism
6. Increase in fanaticism
7. Increase in devolution

OOC: Hopefully countries can have a debate like the USA did back in 2005 when a 10 Commandments monument in front a courthouse in Kentucky was removed.
Last edited by Afrocentric on Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Urban Party of Kirlawa, Kirlawa - Inactive
Democratic Reform Party, Talmoria - Inactive
Labour Party, Saridan - Inactive
Urban Party of Rutania, Rutania - Inactive

http://www.soundcloud.com/djtechnotikofficial
Afrocentric

Re: Religious Monuments

Postby EEL123 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:19 pm

This one if a bit iffy, but anyway, add one in saying that all government buildings have religious monuments in front of them. Then you can have a crazy theocracy.
House of Razama
EEL123

Postby beeman5 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:32 am

Suggest framing this as a question of separation of church & state and not get into specifics...
beeman5

Postby EEL123 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:57 am

beeman5 wrote:Suggest framing this as a question of separation of church & state and not get into specifics...
We have already gotten into specifics with lots of other laws - religious schools, state religions, wearing of religious clothing, foreign missionaries etc. The time for sweeping, general statements about the separation of church and state is gone.
House of Razama
EEL123

Postby Siggon Kristov » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:06 pm

I think the default should be number 5, since it says they are allowed.
To disallow them, or to make them mandatory, are both big-government-ish.

I don't think the "courthouse" specification is good; maybe the law can instead state that religious monuments are only allowed in front of certain types of government buildings.

For number 3, just say certain distance instead of a specific amount.
Check out my latest Particracy project, and feel free to discuss it in the forums.
Siggon Kristov

Postby JuliaAJA » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:20 pm

Support!
Siggon Kristov wrote:I think the default should be number 5, since it says they are allowed.
To disallow them, or to make them mandatory, are both big-government-ish.

I don't think the "courthouse" specification is good; maybe the law can instead state that religious monuments are only allowed in front of certain types of government buildings.

For number 3, just say certain distance instead of a specific amount.

Support!
Joined Particracy on: December 18, 2008
Click here for my versions of Siggon's spreadsheets.
JuliaAJA

Postby Dynastia » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:33 pm

I'd suggest changing this to 'religious iconography' (which could be monuments outside or paintings and artifacts inside), and leaving out the courthouse-only option and the 300ft specifics.

Also...
- Religious Iconography is only permitted on governmental property if it is deemed culturally symbolic

To allow for things like the Dike statues outside courthouses.
Dynastia

Postby absentminded » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:48 am

Dynastia wrote:I'd suggest changing this to 'religious iconography' (which could be monuments outside or paintings and artifacts inside), and leaving out the courthouse-only option and the 300ft specifics.

Also...
- Religious Iconography is only permitted on governmental property if it is deemed culturally symbolic

To allow for things like the Dike statues outside courthouses.

I'd second this motion. Monuments alone is alittle weird.

But the question of using religious imagery/symbolism in government offices is a debate that goes on in the real world.

Most of old courts have crosses or representations of the trinity and etc in their decorations and most big government buildings when built of stone use the cathedral format and have a few icons, angels or crosses thrown in out of habit and atleast in France there was a brew-ha-ha about getting them taking out.

So maybe

1. The government has no offical policy as to the use of Religious Iconography or Imagery on Government Buildings (Default)
2. Religious Iconography and Imagery is encouraged for use on government buildings.
3. Religious Iconography and Imagery is allowed on government property providing it is unobtrusive or is deemed of great cultural, historical or architectural value.
4. Religious Iconography and Imagery is allowed within government buildings as long as they're from recognized religions
5. The use of Religious Iconography and Imagery is not permitted within Government Buildings.
6. The use of Religious Iconography and Imagery is not permitted within Government Buildings or on any property owned by the State.
7. All government buildings are mandated to display Religious Iconography prominently.
9. Certain classifications of Government Buildings are mandated to display Religious Iconography prominently.
10. Religious Iconography is only permitted on governmental property if it is deemed of great cultural, historical or architectural value.
11. Local governments decide rules governing use of Religious Iconography and Imagery on Government Property.

However that seems far too many options so maybe just

1,4,5,7,10 and 11
United - Seleco-Celdanr Communistarum Blaid
Cildania the Dawn
absentminded

Return to Laws