A national television medium subsidized by the government.

Propose and review new legislative variables for the game.

A national television medium subsidized by the government.

Postby Arizal1 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:23 pm

Name of the Law/Policy: A national television medium subsidized by the government.

Options:

1. All television media are private.
2. The government subsidises a national TV station for educational and informational purposes; other private non-subsidised TV stations are allowed.
3. All TV stations are owned by independent non-profit making cooperatives which are subsidised by the government
4. All TV stations are owned by independent non-profit making cooperatives which receive no subsidies from the government
5. The government subsidises independent non profit making cooperatives for educational and informational purposes; other private non-subsidised TV stations are allowed.

Comments: It already exists. This is to clarify it.
The Social-Liberal Caucus (Ibutho) (Inactive) (Particracy Classic)
Demokrat Konservativen Partei (DKP) (Narikaton and Darnussia) (Particracy Classic)
The Federalistische Partij (Laaglanden) (Particracy Dev)
Arizal1

Re: A national television medium subsidized by the government.

Postby Aquinas » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:32 pm

Thanks for spotting this, Arizal. The change you suggested has been implemented.

Looking at this law and its options, I have the feeling it is trying to juggle too many balls at the same time. The title of the law says it is about a subsidised national television medium, but if you look at the options, it also trying to define television subsidisation policies and the structure of the television market more generally.

If anyone has any bright ideas here, let us know!
Aquinas

Postby Arizal1 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:55 pm

Maybe the law could be broken into others. I think a law about the subsidiarization of the (private) television station can stand on its own, along a law on the property of the tv chains. The non for profit stations could go on the latter, altough I have trouble imagining a country in which there would be non-profit tv stations without any state subsidies.

Also, there could be a "subnational entities" option, since the provinces/states could very well want to have their own stations. Actually, I think a bunch of things could have the option to delegate to the states.
The Social-Liberal Caucus (Ibutho) (Inactive) (Particracy Classic)
Demokrat Konservativen Partei (DKP) (Narikaton and Darnussia) (Particracy Classic)
The Federalistische Partij (Laaglanden) (Particracy Dev)
Arizal1

Postby Aquinas » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:34 am

I think you've set us on the right track there, Arizal.

Hmm...

Here is my first attempt:

Name of the Law/Policy: Control of the national television broadcasting market
Policy: Media

1. All television broadcasting is controlled by the government, private broadcasting is banned.

2. Some television broadcasting is controlled by the government, the rest is private but ownership is specially regulated.

3. Some television broadcasting is controlled by the government. the rest is private and ownership is not specially regulated.

4. Television broadcasting is left entirely to the private sector, but ownership is specially regulated.

5. Television broadcasting is left entirely to the private sector and ownership is not specially regulated.

The bit about ownership being "specially regulated"/"not specially regulated" is fairly broad and can cover such details as whether only independent non-profit co-operatives are allowed, whether there are rules on companies owning too much of the market and all sorts of other things.

And for the one on subsidies:

Name of the Law/Policy: Subsidisation of television broadcasting
Policy: Media

1. Only state television broadcasting is subsidised.

2. Television broadcasting is subsidised based on criteria related to its content and/or the nature of the broadcaster.

3. Television broadcasting is never subsidised.

(2) is fairly broad and could cover the government subsidising educational programmes produced by a mixture of private/state/non-profit organisations, or only subsidising non-profit organisations, or all sorts of other combinations and other possibilities. Players could use the bill description field to add more details.

I'm not so sure about having a local government option for television broadcasting, because I'm not sure most local governments would be big enough to do that. Regional governments probably would, but they're not officially institutionalised across Particracy. Don't be afraid to argue with me about that one though :).
Aquinas

Return to Laws