Youth Parliament?

Propose and review new legislative variables for the game.

Youth Parliament?

Postby Choice Party » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:26 am

I was thinking, perhaps there should be a youth parliament variable. Here's my proposal:

Government policy concerning Youth Parliament
*There is no Youth Parliament.
*There is a Youth Parliament but with no powers, it is purely for educational purposes.
*There is a Youth Parliament with minimal powers concerning government policy concerning young people.
*There is a Youth Parliament with minimal powers concerning all government policies.
*There is a Youth Parliament with a moderate amount of power concerning government policy concerning young people.
*There is a Youth Parliament with a moderate amount of power concerning all government policies.

Thoughts?
Choice (Dolgaria) 3811-3832
Choice (Luthori) 3832-3875, 3899-3934
Choice (Kalistan)3875-3883
Choice (Hutori)3883-3899
Labour (Selucia)3934-3944
Progressive (Dolgavas)3944-3959
New Choice (Luthori) 3959-3982
LSP (Gaduridos) 3982-4004
Democratic (Mikuni-Hulstria) 4004-4038
Choice Party

Re: Youth Parliament?

Postby EEL Mk2 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:18 am

Will this have any impact on the parties' political positions?
EEL Mk2

Postby Choice Party » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:28 pm

EEL Mk2 wrote:Will this have any impact on the parties' political positions?

Hopefully so. I'm pretty sure eventually this would go in the "administrative" section of laws, however I'm unsure what parts of the positions would be affected by this law. Can I have some suggestions?
Choice (Hutori)3883-3899
Choice Party

Postby Choice Party » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:49 pm

Ok been looking around at some more law proposals, do you think this would be good enough?:

Government policy concerning Youth Parliament
*There is no Youth Parliament.
*There is a Youth Parliament but with no powers, it is purely for educational purposes.
*There is a Youth Parliament with minimal powers concerning government policy concerning young people.
*There is a Youth Parliament with minimal powers concerning all government policies.
*There is a Youth Parliament with a moderate amount of power concerning government policy concerning young people.
*There is a Youth Parliament with a moderate amount of power concerning all government policies.

Effects:
*Big increase in small government. Moderate increase in Unitarianism.
*Small increase in small government. Small increase in Unitarianism.
*Small increase in big government. Neutral impact on Centralisation.
*Moderate increase in big government. Small increase in Devolution.
*Big increase in big government. Moderate increase in Devolution.
*Slightly bigger increase in big government. Big increase in Devolution.

Are these any good?
Choice (Hutori)3883-3899
Choice Party

Postby EEL Mk2 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:42 pm

One could argue that devolution doesn't mean just to sub-national governments, in which case this proposal makes sense.
EEL Mk2

Postby Lizard250 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:57 pm

I would prefer:

Government policy concerning Youth Parliament:
1. There is no Youth Parliament.
2. There is a Youth Parliament with no powers, it is purely for educational and/or advisory purposes.
3. There is a Youth Parliament with minimal powers over government policies concerning young people.
4. There is a Youth Parliament with complete power over government policies concerning young people.
5. There is a Youth Parliament with minimal powers over all government policies.
6. There is a Youth Parliament with complete power over all government policies concerning young people, and minimal power over all other government policies.

Effects:

1. Small increase in Small Government.
2. Small increase in Devolution.
3. Small increase in Big Government. Moderate increase in Devolution.
4. Small increase in Big Government. Strong increase in Devolution.
5. Strong increase in Big Government. Strong increase in Devolution.
6. Strong increase in Big Government. Very strong increase in Devolution.
Lizard250

Postby EEL Mk2 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:32 am

I prefer the original proposal because I do not see an empowered youth parliament as a manifestation of big government. I say this because the size of government is not dependent on which government body exercises it; government does not become any bigger simply because legislation is delegated. On a separate matter, which didn't come to my mind until recently, the idea of a youth parliament with complete powers over any field of government policy is problematic because that is not consistent with the game mechanism whereby all policies are determined by the legislature, and as we know the mechanism comes first.
EEL Mk2

Postby Lizard250 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:25 pm

EEL Mk2 wrote:I prefer the original proposal because I do not see an empowered youth parliament as a manifestation of big government.

Logically, any increase in the number of organs and/or powers of a government will increase it's size.

EEL Mk2 wrote:I say this because the size of government is not dependent on which government body exercises it; government does not become any bigger simply because legislation is delegated.

As I have said above, adding an organ to a government will increase it's size. Unless the addition of a Youth Parliament is accompanied by a decrease in the size and/or power of other state organs, proportional to the increase caused by the Youth Parliament, the size of the government will increase.

EEL Mk2 wrote:On a separate matter, which didn't come to my mind until recently, the idea of a youth parliament with complete powers over any field of government policy is problematic because that is not consistent with the game mechanism whereby all policies are determined by the legislature, and as we know the mechanism comes first.

Couldn't the legislature mechanic, in some ways, be considered an abstract representation of all legislative organs combined?
Lizard250

Postby EEL Mk2 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:21 pm

Lizard250 wrote:Logically, any increase in the number of organs and/or powers of a government will increase it's size.
That is true to a point, but I think that it is important to bear in mind that "big government" also implies not just a large number of organs, but also a large number of functions. Which does not appear to be the case with this proposed new law. Certainly I don't think that it justifies a "strong increase in big government". At most, having a hundred extra kids running around represents only a very, very minute nudge in the direction of a bigger government.
EEL Mk2

Postby hts » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:43 pm

Would it be standard to RP as the Youth Parliament if it exists, particularly if it is given power?
“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”
hts

Next

Return to Laws