GENERAL ASSEMBLY PRESIDENT ELECTION: Declare Candidacy Here

An archive of previous sessions of both the General Assembly and Security Council as well as various ad hoc consultations and meetings.

Moderator: RP Committee

Re: GENERAL ASSEMBLY PRESIDENT ELECTION: Declare Candidacy Here

Postby Aquinas » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:30 am

Hey, any chance of an update re: what is going on with the GA and Security Council President elections? Thanks.

Aquinas wrote:
RedReaper wrote:Declare your candidacy for President of the General Assembly now!

Election for President of the General Assembly will begin on Saturday, September 1st, one week from now. The GA President is the leader and Presiding Officer of the General Assembly and has the power to enforce rules in the GA including World Congress Resolutions and Game Rules. The President will also work closely with the World Congress Role Play Coordinator (WCRC) to come up with new Role Plays, reforms, and ideas for the World Congress as a whole.

All players are invited to stand for election. You must choose a name and nationality for your candidate. Your character may be from any country you choose. Please use this thread to announce your candidacy and your plans if elected.

WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO RUN IN THE ELECTION?

Characters from any country may stand in the election. There are no age, professional, or educational restrictions.

DO I HAVE TO BE CURRENTLY PLAYING IN THE COUNTRY MY CHARACTER COMES FROM?

No, you do not need to be currently active in your character's country to run him or her for election, and you do not need permission from that country's government.

CAN CHARACTERS FROM FORMER COLONIES RUN?

Yes, characters from the Former Colonies may stand for election as GA President. However, Former Colonies may not cast votes during the election as Former Colonies are barred from voting within the World Congress.

CAN I RUN MORE THAN ONE CANDIDATE?

No. Only one candidate per player is allowed.

MY COUNTRY IS A SECURITY COUNCIL MEMBER. CAN I RUN CANDIDATES FOR BOTH GA AND SC PRESIDENTS?

Yes. However, GA President and SC President must be two different players. If you win both elections, the World Congress Role Play Coordinator will ask you to choose which position you prefer. The vacant position will go to the runner-up.

HOW LONG DOES THE PRESIDENT SERVE?

The GA President will serve until the end of September. A new election will be held at the start of the October Session and every Session thereafter. There are no term limits for the office of GA President. If elected, you may run for re-election as often as you wish. However, Presidents who under-perform may be barred from standing for reelection in consecutive terms (as determined by the WCRC in consultation with Moderation).

CAN THE PRESIDENT BE REMOVED?

Yes. The President can be removed by a General Assembly Resolution or by the WCRC in consultation with Moderation.

WHAT ARE THE PRESIDENT'S POWERS AND RESPONSIBILITIES?

The GA President's powers and responsibilities are to:

• Preside over all General Assembly debates, maintaining order and decorum at all times in accordance with Game Rules.
  • Actively listen and engage with Delegates in General Assembly debates, and propose action-oriented solutions to address their concerns.
  • Maintain a minimum of one General Assembly Resolution per week. Resolutions should generally be encouraged or solicited from Member Nation Delegations.
  • Write Resolutions as necessary to further your character's goals and meet the Minimum Resolution Requirement. The GA President has the exclusive right to place Resolutions on the game system immediately without first seeking Co-Sponsors. Format and length guidelines listed in the Game Rules must be strictly adhered to.
  • Process Resolutions in a timely manner. Resolutions should not remain in the Sponsorship or Vote stages an unreasonable length of time.
  • Edit Resolution proposals for format, length, and concision in coordination with the proposing Delegation and in accordance with Game Rules.
  • Inform Moderation when a Resolution has garnered enough Co-Sponsors and request that the Resolution be placed on the game system for voting.
  • Inform governments when a Resolution is at vote through Private Messages, and encourage them to vote.
  • Coordinate with the President of the Security Council to determine how passed Resolutions should be implemented and implement them timely.
  • Keep past Resolutions accessible and organized.
  • Oversee the General Assembly and World Congress Wiki pages and update them as necessary.
  • Keep governments informed of their rights as Member Nations and encourage them to take full advantage to advance their foreign policy goals.
  • Stay abreast of international issues debated in the General Assembly and Security Council.
  • Role Play the President character in accordance with the foreign policy goals of their country or their personal political goals. The President is not required to maintain political neutrality and is expected to use their office to advance the interests of their country.
  • Be an active Role Player. The GA and SC Presidents will be responsible for leading a major World Congress Role Play the details of which will be revealed if elected.
  • Remain in regular contact with and submit to oversight by the WCRC to coordinate World Congress matters. WCRC decisions are final. In case of a breakdown in communication, concerns should be reported to Moderation.
  • Propose changes to the World Congress Charter subject to WCRC and Moderation approval. If approved, the proposed changes should be put to vote in a General Assembly Resolution.
  • Stay active. If the President becomes inactive for 3 days without notice, a new election will be called.
  • Serve until October 1st. A new election will be called at that time.
Additional powers and responsibilities may be assigned in consultation with the WCRC.

HOW DOES THE ELECTION WORK?

Players may declare their candidacy in this thread from now until September 1. Voting will begin Saturday, September 1. Moderation will place a new law on the game-system called ***!!! Vote for World Congress President of the General Assembly. The law will list all the candidates. Any party may propose a Bill with that law. Simply click the name of the preferred candidate, put it to vote, and pass the Bill by simple majority.

The election will last for 3 days (72 hours).

This thread is for campaign-related posts ONLY. Any questions should be directed to the WCRC or the Moderation/GRC Queries Thread.

@Red I know you've been extraordinarily busy in RL, so I'm not meaning to come across as harsh or anything here, but there are a few issues/questions with this I feel I probably ought to raise.

1. The post states the election will begin on September 1st, and that this is also the date for the close of nominations. This information is obviously an error, since today's date is October 8th. The post also says the next GA President will "Serve until October 1st", which again, also looks like a mistake.

2. The post states "The election will last for 3 days (72 hours)". Would you consider extending this, even if it is only to 4 or 5 days? The reason being that, especially if there are a number of candidates, it may take time for the parties in national parliaments to decide who they want to vote for. Also bear in mind that bills take one and a half days just to complete the voting phase.

3. What is happening re: elections for the Security Council President? As I said previously on Discord, I personally believe there is a strong case for merging the positions of GA and SC President, but this is your and the GRC's call, of course.

4. Sorry if this sounds picky, but I think it would be better to start a new, fresh thread for the October election, rather than continuing to use the old thread (ie. this thread) that was used for the September election.
Aquinas

Postby Aquinas » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:19 am

Buchheim hurls object at schoolboy

Christoph Buchheim's chances of winning the General Assembly Presidency took a blow today after it emerged he threw a calculator at a 14 year old maths prodigy at a conference of the Dorvish Mathematics Society in Haldor, Dorvik.

Apparently the 14 year old boy had had the temerity to claim Buchheim got his sums wrong for his famous paper predicting the end date of capitalism, claiming Buchheim's own methodology points to an end date of 3rd December 4548 instead of 19th April 4527.

Buccheim has not denied hurling the calculator at the boy, although he insists it was done "gently and in a spirit of fun". He has also angrily disputed earlier media reports suggesting the calculator belonged to him. "I have never used or owned a calculator in my life," he snapped at a journalist this afternoon, "I am a maths genius and I do all of my workings out entirely in my head".

Buccheim declines to predict date of GA President election

Asked by a colleague at the conference to prepare a mathematical study predicting when the General Assembly President election will be held, Buccheim responded:

This cannot be predicted with the same degree of certainty as the end date of capitalism, because there are too many random, uncertain and unforeseeable variables involved in the calculations.
Aquinas

Postby Aquinas » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:01 am

OOC: Any update/progress re: the organisation of this election?
Aquinas

Postby RedReaper » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:54 pm

ooc: I decided to wait for a week in order to ensure everyone got their candidates in
RedReaper

Postby Aquinas » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:12 pm

RedReaper wrote:ooc: I decided to wait for a week in order to ensure everyone got their candidates in

OOC: A week starting from when?
Aquinas

GENERAL ASSEMBLY PRESIDENT ELECTION: Declare Candidacy Here

Postby Luis1p » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:19 pm

Greetings everyone!

As Red (RedReaper) has decided to step down as WCRC due to IRL time constraints, I will be taking over the WCRC position until a replacement is found.

In terms of the GA President election, The October Election is now officially postponed. Players that announced their candidates in October are now running for the November Term (which is from November 1st to December 1st). The month of October is nearly over and that leaves no time for the potential winner to fulfill a month term before November 1st. So, the election for the November Term will occur on Sunday, October 28th (Saturday, October 27th, 6 PM CST for those in America). That leaves 4 days for countries and players to vote for a candidate. As I said, candidates are the same, but the term will now be from November 1st to December 1st. The only thing that has changed is the month in which the GA President will serve his/her term.

For any player who wants to submit candidates for the election, you can do so. Your candidate must be announced and posted on the thread by Saturday, October 27th (Friday, October 26th, 6pm CST for those in America).

Thank you to all who have been extremely patient on this matter. I hope to make the following GA elections more timely and smooth.

Thanx! :mrgreen:
Luis1p

Postby Aquinas » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:07 am

Buchheim vows to put Vanuku in the corner, take away their microphone and drown them out with communist folk songs

General Assembly President candidate Christoph Buchheim today spoke out against the royalist coup in Vanuku, demanding that "Just because Vanuku is a Great Power and a permanent member of the Security Council does not mean they should get a free ride for destroying democracy and running a right-wing pro-capitalist dictatorship". He called on the World Congress to "impose immediate sanctions" and "take firm action to send out a very clear message".

More curiously, he pledged that if elected President of the General Assembly, he would use his authority over the proceedings of the General Assembly in order to make life less comfortable for the Vanukean delegation. "I've been studying the procedures and the precedents in terms of how the General Assembly works and what discretion is at the disposal of the President of the General Assembly," he said, continuing,

"I don't think the President can evict a delegation from the General Assembly, at least not on his own, but there are other things he can legitimately do. If I was President of the General Assembly, I believe I would have the authority, for instance, to relocate the Vanukean delegation to the furthest corner of the chamber, as far away from the other delegates as possible, and also take away their microphone. That would mean if they wanted to be heard, they would have to shout very loudly and give themselves a sore throat. Another option I am willing to consider is playing communist folk songs over the stereo system whenever the Vanukuean delegation gets up to speak. I don't think there's anything in the procedures or the precedents which says I wouldn't be able to do that, so we could look into that.

Fortland is not a country, says Buchheim

Christoph Buchheim has rejected Fortland's calls to be admitted to the World Congress. "They call it Fortland, but it's not even made out of any land - there is not a square inch of natural land on Fortland, it is just an ugly, horrible, artificial concrete structure with at most 5 or 6 people living there," he said.
Aquinas

Postby Aquinas » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:05 pm

Buchheim congratulates Kafuri Worker's Revolutionary Army on victory

General Assembly President candidate Christoph Buchheim today lavished praise upon the Worker's Revolutionary Army in Kafuristan, who are just fresh from winning a hard-fought battle against counter-revolutionary insurgents. "This is fantastic news for Kafuristan and fantastic news for Terra," he said, adding "this also further confirms my confidence in my calculation that capitalism is due to self-destruct Terra-wide within the next 60 or so years".
Aquinas

Postby Aquinas » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:58 pm

Buchheim backs #justice4maya campaign

General Assembly President candidate Christoph Buchheim today dramatically threw his weight behind the justice4Maya campaign, telling a press conference that the conviction and life sentence of Baltusian communist leader Maya Darklight is "a complete travesty of justice" and "raises the gravest questions about how the Baltusian justice system operates".

Buchheim flying in to Baltusia on the Communist Hot Air Balloon

Buchheim is taking this case so seriously that with just months remaining until the General Assembly President election, he has placed his campaigning work on hold in order to fly in to Baltusia on the Communist Hot Air Balloon (chartered by the Communist League of Terra). He intends to speak to Maya Darklight's friends, family and legal representatives, and is also intending to demand to be allowed access to Maya Darklight herself and be permitted to examine the conditions in which she is being detained.

"Like many others, I am horrified by the reports regarding the inhumane conditions Maya is being held in," Buchheim said. "She is not a violent person and she poses no physical threat to anybody else at the prison, so keeping her in these gruesome conditions of solitary confinement is completely inappropriate and unjustified".

Buccheim is being accompanied on his trip by Jiang Liang, an international human rights lawyer from Indrala, and Sylwester Kuligowski, a retired prisons inspector from Valruzia with a special interest in prisoner welfare issues.
Aquinas

Postby Luis1p » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:13 pm

Candidacy Declarations for the General Assembly President are now closed.
Luis1p

PreviousNext

Return to Sessions Archive