3rd General Assembly Session

An archive of previous sessions of both the General Assembly and Security Council as well as various ad hoc consultations and meetings.

Moderator: RP Committee

Re: General Assembly

Postby MarkWill » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:31 am

Luthorian Ambassador to the World Congress, Steven Moss:
Before I begin, I would like to note that Luthori does not recognize, in any way shape or form, the Aldegarian Shah's title of "Prince of Luthori".

As for the matter at hand, it is because of the Aldegarian government's insistence on asserting its royal bloodline in foreign, sovereign nations that this entire situation has occurred. While I also believe Baltusia's actions were incommensurate, words do carry tremendous impact, especially by those in positions of power, and the terrorist actions that occurred against both Aldegarians and Baltusians by terrorist groups affiliated with the other may have been incited by the kind of language that has loomed pervasively throughout this entire affair. Nonetheless, what is done is done, and now we must all try and seek a peaceful resolution to this crisis. I thank the Baltusian Ambassador for his country's attempt to act in good faith by allowing foreign observers to his country. Nonetheless, the mass deportation of all ethnic Aldegarians remains a troublesome issue, and the government of Luthori asks the government of Baltusia to reconsider its mass deportation policy. With relations currently established, the Luthorian ambassador to Baltusia will be nominated and approved in due time, and I believe further discussion on the issue will continue at that point.

In order to settle this dispute, I first pose a question to the Aldegarian Ambassador. Will Aldegar's Shah withdraw its claim to the Baltusian throne as part of a condition to an agreement with the Baltusian government? If not, what concessions, if any, is Aldegar willing to make in order to settle this issue and ease tensions?
Turdidae, formerly Mark3, Mark2, MarkWill

Union Party (Aloria)
Vorona Conservative Party
Union Canrillaise (Baltusia)
Parti Conservateur d'Alduria
United Luthori - active
Nouveau Centre (Rildanor)
MarkWill

Postby jamescfm » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:21 pm

Payam Khodayari, Aldegarian General Assembly Ambassador:
We have not 'asserted' anything. We requested official recognition of the now deceased Shah (may he cross the Bridge of the Requiter to eternal paradise) as the Head of State of Baltusia. That is not aggression or assertion or imperialism of any kind; it is a request from one government to another. Quite frankly, if Baltusia cannot handle a simple request without fearing an impending invasion it is no wonder they are such a perpetual menace to the international community. Your disgraceful attempts to blame our 'words' for an assassination attempt on the life of our divinely recognised leader is horrifically discourteous and shameful. At least you can recognise that this mass expulsion is 'troublesome', even though I feel that is a slightly lenient choice of vocabulary. We feel it is more than just 'troublesome'.

I have not been able to meet with the incoming Shah, Bardiya, Crown Prince of Aldegar but I can assure you that the government would not agree to have 700 Congressman in Baltusia overrule the will of not only the 99 million citizens of Baltusia, who all want the Shah to return, but also the divine will of Yazdan. We will make a major concession right now, however. On behalf of Aldegar, its government and its people, I would like to issue a complete and unreserved apology for the actions and behaviour of the corrupt and incompetent government of Baltusia.
jamescfm

Postby MarkWill » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:28 pm

First, I express my sincere condolences to the entire nation of Aldegar over the passing of the Shah, Shahnam I, on the 13th of October.

Allow me to ask another question to the Aldegarian Ambassador. To what extent is Aldegar willing to go to enforce its claim? Will this involve the use of military force? What conditions would Aldegar expect from Baltusia, besides recognition of the Shah as their sovereign monarch, in order to restore diplomatic contact and travel between the two nations?

Edit: added introductory sentence

Union Party (Aloria)
United Luthori - active
MarkWill

Postby jamescfm » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:14 pm

Thank you for your words, it has been an extremely difficult period for our people.

Aldegar will not use military force except where it is absolutely required. The Aldegarian National Party, who currently hold a two-thirds majority in the National Divan, believe strongly in an ideology of pacifism. It is our view that any death of Aldegarian citizens should be avoided at all costs. That is why we were so grateful to hear that nations like Kalistan and Zardugal would be willing to defend our sovereignty as a nation, if we were attacked.

In order for relations to be repaired, Baltusia would need to officially recognise the Shah's right to use the title 'King of Baltusia', immediately reverse the mass expulsion of Aldegarians and compensate all those who have already been affected and issue a full apology for their involvement in the various attacks against our people. Further details can be discussed once these criteria have been met.
jamescfm

Postby matthewleitch » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:03 pm

Lewis Wirght, Baltusian Foreign Secretary:

I think that it is about time that I informed the Assembly that Kalistan certainlt haven't asserted anything, they have threatened to declare war if we don't accept their attempt at a treaty. I invite the Assembley to look at this closely, as you all seem to be fascinated about Baltusia's immigration policy, which is justified and now complete, perhaps look that Baltusia have had war declarations against us.

http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=498688: War can be avoided if you recognise your part that must be played here.
http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=498246:

We request that the National Divan, by way of a majority vote, authorise the Court Minister to seek the approval of his Most High Majesty to engage in war to remove the false government of Baltusia and install a true, noble, Royal government.

4042-4190: Baltusian Republican Party (Baltusia)
4190- : Republican Party (Cildania)

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there’d be a shortage of sand.” -Milton Friedman
matthewleitch

Postby jamescfm » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:14 pm

Eleanora Montreal, Kalistani Ambassador to the Security Council rises to speak:
Mr Wright, if you have maps in Baltusia that include areas outside your own borders, I recommend taking a glance at one. If you look carefully, you will observe that Kalistan and Aldegar are different countries so when you say that Kalistan has 'threatened to declare war if we don't accept their attempt at a treaty', you are a damn liar! Even so, your claim doesn't hold up to scrutiny because the bill you present didn't pass with the necessary votes!

Regardless, even if Aldegar had declared war on you, even if they had invaded, that would not give you the right to pratise ethnic cleansing! Forcibly expelling over five-hundred-thousand people because of their race is an absolutely disgusting abuse of human rights and until you reverse that position, Kalistan will not cooperate with Baltusia.
jamescfm

Postby stuntmonkey » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:02 pm

Otto Vanderijk Blick, Ambassador to the General Assembly:

Ambassador Moss of Luthori, as you seem to be proving an effective mediator - and I thank you for your time and effort - I would like to remind you of our position in all of this:

1)We will not accept the Shah as our head of State.
2) Despite what the Aldegarian Ambassador said our polls show that 99.99 per cent of people in Baltusia do not want the Shah as ruler.
3)The people being asked to leave Baltusia are Aldegarian citizens. They have five years to sort out their affairs and we are doing all possible to facilitate their departure. Many I understand have headed north to the open Kalistani border.
4) It is our belief that the NDU party in Aldegar will use the Head of State situation has a casus belli if they get into power and control enough of the Divan. As Aldegar is a two party state the chances are this will happen sooner rather than later. We cannot rely on hindsight - we have to be prepared for this now.
5) We never asked any other nation to get involved in the conflict - the decision by Valruzia was a unilateral one. As soon as we knew we approached them to ask them to back off, as Madame Montreal referred to earlier their has been a change of government there now, so this is unlikely to happen again.
6) We have not tortured any Aldegarian citizens or imprisoned them for not leaving our country.

So, to our conditions:

The Aldegarian Shah renounces his claim to be head of state of Baltusia. We beleive this will deny the NDU a casus belli to go to war with Baltusia. At this point we would stop asking Aldegarian's to leave our country as we would feel the threat was lifted - although the process will be full complete by 4150. It will then be up to the two governments to renew diplomatic ties and I hope, with your help, this matter will be resolved.

“I venture to suggest that patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime.”

― AES II

Current party - Haruzuterēchisuku Refonpātī
stuntmonkey

Postby jamescfm » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:15 pm

Firstly, your poll is obviously inaccurate. A far more accurate poll of Baltusians by the Aldegarian government shows the following;
    Who is the lawful and legitimate ruler of Baltusia?
    His Most High Majesty, Bardiya III- 99.97%
    A pig- 0.02%
    Ralph Mason- 0.01%

With that cleared up, His Most High Majesty will never renounce his claim to the Baltusian throne. Using that as an excuse to breach human rights and forcibly deport hundreds of thousands of people is absolutely unforgivable. Your belief about the National Democratic Union, if you will excuse me for breaching decorum, is total bullshit. They do not want to go to war and even if you truly believe that they do, surely the only answer is to accept the Shah as your ruler and prevent them from using it as a casus belli.

You are completely incompetent Mr Blick, just like your pathetic excuse for a government. Only through His Most High Majesty can the Baltusian people be liberated.
jamescfm

Postby MarkWill » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:56 pm

It appears both sides wish to avoid a military confrontation if possible. The reason for the tension may be attributed to a lack of trust and a feeling of uncertainty over the other's intentions. I propose the following points as part of a possible agreement between Aldegar and Baltusia:

1) A team of professional genealogists from third-party nations shall inspect, freely and without coercion, the records used as evidence of the Shah's claim to the Baltusian throne.
2) The elected members of the Baltusian Congress, representing the people of Baltusia, shall have the power over whether: a) to recognize the Shah's claim, and/or b) hold a referendum on the matter.
3) Both nations shall sign a memorandum of understanding committing each to a peaceful resolution without the use of military force.
4) Baltusia shall cease the mass deportation of all Aldegarian nationals in Baltusia; however, Baltusia will be permitted to deport those within their borders suspected of terrorist activity, under the supervision of international observers.
5) In an effort to maintain a direct line of communication and to help lead to the full restoration of ties, both nations shall reopen the embassies and consulates and provide an exception to the travel restriction on diplomats from the other nation.

The use of third-party and international observers may assist in validating the Shah's claim and in ensuring no human rights abuses are taking place in Baltusia. While certain points may seem disagreeable with either of the Parties, it is necessary to make some concessions in order to reach a compromise. It is in the best interest of not just Aldegar and Baltusia, but the entire Terran community, to take steps to ease tensions, establish trust, and clear misunderstandings. I would like to make it clear that these points are open to the review of either Party. I only ask that they think carefully before doing so and provide a response that justifies either its removal or change.

Union Party (Aloria)
United Luthori - active
MarkWill

Postby jamescfm » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:07 pm

We will never recognise the Baltusian Congress as a legitimate government nor will we allow our non-recognition to be used to excuse ethnic cleansing. That is a completey false equivalence.
jamescfm

PreviousNext

Return to Sessions Archive