OOC: Security Council Discussion

The decision-making body of the World Congress with the power to pass formal resolutions and composed of five elected members.

Moderator: RP Committee

Re: OOC: Security Council Discussion

Postby Liu Che/Zhuli » Fri May 22, 2020 9:58 pm

Sounds fine to me. Actually would go well with the whole Seko Model. We ask WC to "clean up" any traces of Bianjie's WMD programs.
Liu Che/Zhuli

Postby XanderOne » Sat May 23, 2020 8:02 am

Liu Che/Zhuli wrote:Can do investigation. Would say that, if bio/chem weapons found, probably would have existed from a previous civil war, maybe they were even left by foreign invaders? Who knows.

Fine!
XanderOne

Postby Masionette9 » Sat May 30, 2020 10:51 pm

Well... Ladies and Gentlemen - Isn't it time to select the new Security Council?
Party of National Coalition (Valruzia) - active
Kalistan Democratic Party (Kalistan) - inactive
Masionette9

Postby jamescfm » Sat May 30, 2020 10:58 pm

The Security Council term starts at the beginning of each month, the next election will be simulated on 1 June at 12am (server time) and I'll post the results shortly after that. In other words, you still have about twenty-three hours.
jamescfm

Postby jamescfm » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:19 pm

I think it would be best to decide here who to appoint as the next President of the Security Council in this thread, rather than clog up the main thread. The role is somewhat disused so it would be nice to have someone committed to driving Security Council business forward. Note that it does not necessarily need to be a national representative, so if you feel that you (personally) could do a good job even though your country might not be politically positioned to hold the office then that's an option.

A note on the passage of Resolution 88. The voting period on this resolution went into the new term by about an hour, not a major issue in this case but thought it might be worth clarifying. A resolution will always have five days of voting, if a new term begins in the middle of this period then the previous term's members will still be able to vote. The next term's members obviously have the power to override the provisions of any previous resolution with a new one if they please.
jamescfm

Postby jamescfm » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:59 pm

Given the extensive server outage, voting on the two outstanding resolutions will be extended. For Resolution 89, voting will end at 16:00 on 11 May (server time) and for Resolution 90, voting will end at 16:00 on 12 May (server time). If there are further outages in the coming days then these deadlines may have to be pushed back further.
jamescfm

Postby jamescfm » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:47 pm

To offer a little clarification on the Valruzian vote on Resolution 90, the approach that I have always taken is that countries are allowed to change their votes up until the deadline. Nonetheless this should be avoided wherever possible to avoid unnecessary issues. The issue here is based on a lack of player consent about who is in charge of role-playing as a country's World Congress representative. Understandably players will want to take different foreign policy approaches to their compatriots but we should try and avoid turning these into out-of-character disputes.

At present Valruzia's laws say that "the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is responsible for the appointment of national representatives to the World Congress". The outage has made it difficult for me to determine whether Masionette did control the Ministry at this time but it seems that he did. For this reason it is unfair to say that he did not have the authority to do so at the time. Instead it seems that Masionette cast a vote in line with his government policy and a new government has risen to power and reversed that vote. To be clear, the Valruzian vote is now "no" but this constitutes a reversal of a previous "yes" vote rather than overruling a previous illegitimate attempt to vote.

Let me know if I'm not clear on any points here.
jamescfm

Postby Maxington » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:58 pm

So when can we begin consultations on my draft for money laundering and terrorist financing? It's been about a week now (minus the four days).
"The future of the Nation is in the children's school bags" ~ Dr. Eric Williams
President of the Trond Henrichsen Institute for International Affairs.
Maxington

Postby colonelvesica » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:00 pm

Fire away at any time my friend
The Last of his Name
colonelvesica

Postby Maxington » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:02 pm

As i said on the discord, i need to know how to get it done. You guys said IC you wanted the consultations, we're doing the consultations IC. It was said on discord that something would be worked out. That was 6 days ago (minus the 4 days), I'm willing to wait more if it hasn't been worked out.
"The future of the Nation is in the children's school bags" ~ Dr. Eric Williams
President of the Trond Henrichsen Institute for International Affairs.
Maxington

PreviousNext

Return to Security Council