OOC: Concerns about Security Council Seat E election rules

An archive of previous sessions of both the General Assembly and Security Council as well as various ad hoc consultations and meetings.

Moderator: RP Committee

OOC: Concerns about Security Council Seat E election rules

Postby Aquinas » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:39 am

With regards to the elections for Security Council Seat E...

First of all, I want to say I am really delighted we finally have a Security Council seat reserved for the non-playable nations (I call them that because not all of them are "Third World" any more), and I give James and Moderation a lot of credit for that.

The rules for these elections limit the vote to the controllers of the non-playable nations. Some of these controllers have been very active with their non-playable nations. Others less so...

Vesica, the controller of New Englia, participated in the first Seat E election, and is now participating in the second one, yet has not posted a single post in the New Englia thread since he took control of it. Similarly, Maxington, the controller of Dalibor, participated in the first Seat E election, and is now participating in the second one, yet has not posted a single post in the Dalibor thread since taking control of it. There could be other examples like this, but these are the two I happen to have noticed.

I am not meaning to "pick" on either of those players. It may well be, for example, that they have been busy in real life, and are hoping to be actively role-playing with their nations as soon as they reasonably can.

The point remains, though, that it seems a loophole in the rules gives non-active controllers a say in Seat E elections which is denied to those of us who are not currently controlling non-playable nations. One concern has to be that, going forward, it is not impossible some players will choose to apply for control of non-playable nations simply in order to be able to exercise this vote, despite having no serious intention of role-playing with them.

My suggestion is that either (a) participation in Seat E elections should be open to all players currently active in the game or (b) Seat E votes should be limited to controllers who are currently actively role-playing their non-playable nation (eg. perhaps a requirement they must have posted in their thread at least once since taking control, and at least once within the last 2 weeks).

Looking forward to hearing any views from others on this.
Aquinas

Re: OOC: Concerns about Security Council Seat E election rules

Postby colonelvesica » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:15 am

You are indeed correct I havent had a chance to use New Englia (RL is a.. well you fill in the blank) I'll be making a post tomorrow.. I plan on blowing things up
The Last of his Name
colonelvesica

Postby Auditorii » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:16 am

I think that the second option is better overall. Unfortunately third world nations, non-playable nations whaatever we call them arent always "first" for players, notably active players. I think the second option presents the better, more realistic way to go about it.
Image Dorvik | Image Zardugal | Image Ostland (FBC)
-- Particracy Game Rules
-- Moderation Requests
-- Game Information
-- Particracy Discord
Auditorii

Postby jamescfm » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:43 pm

Just as a note, I will respond to these concerns properly in the next couple of days. The reason I have not done so already is that I didn't want to prejudice the discussion by intervening too soon. If other players share Aquinas' concerns or have any other feedback on the manner in which the Seat E election operates, please feel free to share it in this thread and I will take these into consideration. For the sake of simplicity however, I will be continuing with the July election (the one currently in progress) under the previously outlined regulations.
jamescfm

Postby jamescfm » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:18 pm

As it happens it seems that the proposed changes to the rules would not have made any difference in this case. Reflecting on the concerns expressed here, I believe it would be reasonable to slightly modify the rules for these elections. Like Auditorii I believe that opening the decision to any player would not be the best option.

The principle of the current system of election is that it is not open to all countries (or players) on the basis that an election only involving players in the non-playable countries is more likely to return a candidate that reflects the specific concerns of those countries (in both in-character and out-of-character terms). Linked to this, the election in this way actively encourages players to engage with the non-playable countries because doing so provides them with a method of involving themselves in international affairs.

For that reason, I would prefer establishing an "eligibility criterion" for controllers to take part in the elections. Both of the examples that you suggested have their merits and drawbacks. Requiring only a single post seems to set the bar extremely low and I think we would want to ensure regular activity since that is the fundamental problem being addressed. I would like to suggest that in order for a controller to be eligible to stand or vote in elections, they should have at least one substantive post in the month during which the election takes place.

Do you feel this would address the problem? Do any other players have thoughts on this proposed change or the general concern that is raised in this thread? Please share your thoughts if you do.
jamescfm

Postby Aquinas » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:04 am

Thanks for being so open to discussion about this, James. I support your proposal.
Aquinas

Postby jamescfm » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:14 pm

Given that we have a few weeks until the next election, I will leave this thread open for comment for the short term.
jamescfm

Postby jamescfm » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:30 pm

The new process has been adopted so I am going to archive this thread.
jamescfm

Return to Sessions Archive