83rd General Assembly Session

An archive of previous sessions of both the General Assembly and Security Council as well as various ad hoc consultations and meetings.

Moderator: RP Committee

83rd General Assembly Session

Postby TRA » Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:34 pm

Image Mr. Intrsmor Mrthotrjrzajad, General-Secretary of the World Congress

Following the latest election results for the Security Council, the World Congress welcomes governments, political parties and other organisations to the 83rd General Assembly Session.
Signed by the ghost of the 2300s, GreekIdiot.
TRA

Re: 83rd General Assembly Session

Postby Pragma » Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:24 pm

Kali Bhaartish-Yalung, representative to the World Congress from the Vascanian Empire:

I would like to raise the concerning remarks made by Nsanlosa's representative in the Security Council. For a sitting member of the SC to blatantly threaten a violent solution and demand international agreement to their unreasonable ultimatum is beneath the dignity of their status. The Vascanian government thus registers its displeasure and asks for cooler heads to prevail.
Currently playing in: Cildania

Image Vascanian Empire
Pragma

Postby hyraemous » Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:26 pm

Marcus Julius Frontinus, Foreign Minister of the Kundrati Union

Representatives. Esteemed guests. Friends, enemies and neutrals alike.

We live in an age of new technology. A new world where everyone can communicate to each other faster than we can finish sentences. With this new technology comes risks that we must take and risks that we must face in order to survive. I am sure everyone here has a cell phone, after all, and that everyone here knows the power that one small brick can do to a whole world.

Now let me tell you about weapons. If one small plastic brick can change the world, for better or worse, then one large piece of metal with munitions can do much more. We are living in an age of global peace where Terran scale warfare between continents are a thing of the past for now. We have maintained a sense of security that allows diplomats to prevail over the hard iron arm of war.

And then we have nuclear weapons. Biological and chemical weapons. Weapons that can destroy our very existence if we were to let slip our control. Only one country has them and we acknowledge that they are a nuclear power, but there is a lot of fear that smaller countries can try and develop their own nuclear programs. Those countries may not adhere to international laws and custom and may seek only to destroy their neighbors or their enemies at whatever cost to them or to others. It is these countries we should fear.

Let us also remind people of the potential of terrorism to be conducted using chemical and biological weapons. If poisonous gas can be unleashed, for example, in a subway system - or if a pandemic can be launched from a lab to the whole of Terra - then it should be our responsiblity to ensure that nobody can have the ability to use these weapons irresponsibly. But here is the question I ask my fellow delegates and ministers: what responsible purpose do we have to even use or control these weapons? Why must we use these weapons at all? Haven't we done enough damage to Terra already?

In that same vain, why must we build nuclear weapons? We can try and contain the damage from a pandemic or from a gas - but we cannot contain the atomic power of destruction. If Beiteynu can drop a nuclear bomb in Rilandor tomorrow, or if Dorvik can drop a bomb over Kundrati, or if Kalistan can drop a bomb over Valruzia, that radiation will not just affect the country that has the bomb dropped onto them but also surrounding countries! Need I remind people that countries can have hundreds or thousands of these! The scenarios I have described, although unrealistic, may be damage from one bomb. If these countries dropped ten bombs? Twenty? A hundred?

The problem is we all know this! We all know the affects of nuclear war! Fallout?! The fact that people in a certain distance from a bomb can just disintegrate?! And yet we still have these weapons! May the Gods forbid a superweapon that combines these effects of nuclear bombs with that of biological or chemical effects!

We are lucky that we have lived five thousand years, for hundreds of thousands of years, and yet we are always on the brink of ending it all. One country may have the A-bomb yet tomorrow it could be two. What if it were three, or four, or six countries that had the A-bomb? I am not here to fearmonger - after all, these are facts - that we all know and yet choose to accept.

I firmly believe that countries should consider a nuclear, biological and chemical weapons ban that applies to everyone. The current one does not go far enough - it allows a special group of countries to have nuclear weapons! The purpose of a ban is to ensure that nobody can do these actions and yet we have countries that can do these things despite a ban being in place. Therefore, it is very best that we enact a full and sweeping ban on nuclear, biological and chemical weapons for the good of all.

If we are able to live a thousand more years, or ten thousand more years, then this will be the greatest achievement of the World Congress. This will be the greatest possible achievement that countries that agree to this can do - the peace we have right now is, after all, an illusion. The peace we can secure by agreeing to such a full-range ban can make such a peace more permanent, or at the very least allow us the chance to live ten thousand years more.

Thank you.
hyraemous

Postby Drax » Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:15 am

Foreign Minister Terezia Botosova, Deltarska Republika:

We appreciate very much the well reasoned remarks by the Foreign Minister of the Kundrati Union.
Neue Dundorfische Zentrumspartei (NDZP), Dundorf, Active
Deltarianska Narodna Strana (DNS), Deltaria, Active
Dedicated to the proposition.
Drax

Return to Sessions Archive