Cleaning/Administration

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Cleaning/Administration

Postby cm9777 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:13 am

-
Last edited by cm9777 on Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cm9777

Re: Cleaning/Administration

Postby Aquinas » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:54 pm

cm9777 wrote:Hey, Just wanted to check what the preference is with regards to Old topics. There is certainly an overflow in all areas. Would the player base like these old discussions archived (note they can be recovered if needed) to reduce clutter or like to keep them around or something else? Note: I am mainly talking about Game Moderation and General Discussion, not about archiving old RP

It is a little alarming Moderation is even asking this. There has already been an excessive tendency towards unnecessarily removing posts and sometimes even entire threads from the forum.

Old posts from the General Discussion and Moderation sections of the forum should generally be retained because they form part of the game's history and can be valuable for reference - not just to Moderators, but to players as well. I cannot emphasise this last point enough.

What I feel Moderation could reasonably do is reduce clutter by re-organising the stickies and the "announcements" (those posts in the top section of each sub-forum).

Here are just a few suggestions (and I could make more...):

- Merge the currently stickied Questions & Requests with the Moderation/GRC Queries thread.

- Un-sticky the Statement on the 2nd Great Terran War RP thread.

- Un-sticky the PARTICRACY CULTURE REFORMS CONSULTATION thread.

- Un-sticky the RPing 101- A Guide for New and Experienced Folks (WIP) thread; maybe link it at the General Information Board instead.

- Un-sticky the RP Law Dismissal Thread and remove all reference to it in the Game Rules. IMHO there is no point to this.

- Un-sticky this thread right here.

- Remove Moderator Appointment: Lewiselder from announcements.

- Remove GRC In Game Account from announcements; maybe link it at the General Information Board instead.

- Remove Global RP Commitee Register from announcements; maybe link it at the General Information Board instead.

- Lock and unsticky the Fact and Quote Suggestions thread. The thread can be restored to "unlocked" and "stickied" status once all of the erroneous "Facts" have been either removed or corrected. Moderation IMHO should prioritise sorting out the erroneous (and in some cases seriously misleading!!) "Facts", before spending time on adding even more "Facts" and "Quotes" to the game.
Aquinas

Postby cm9777 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:38 pm

-
cm9777

Postby Aquinas » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:36 pm

cm9777 wrote:There is no reason to be alarmed. It is just a question to which I have heard your view but also that of it being better to archive to reduce clutter so this is an open platform.

We will consider those suggestions. Some such as Lewis’s appointment can be done away with however the rest will require more thought.

The bolded/underlined part...sorry CM, but what does this even mean? How does removing records from the public part of the forum make us a more "open platform"?
Aquinas

Postby cm9777 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:29 pm

It means I’ve heard both views on this so the topic is an open platform for discussion.
cm9777

Postby LukasV » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:43 am

Make an Archive subforum at the bottom and just shove all the old topics after a certain cutoff date. Make it a read-only forum, and people can peruse the topics at their leisure without them needing to be deleted per se. They'll just be moved.
Get All That You Deserve In This World

Free Speech Fundamentalist
Classical Liberal/Libertarian
A Necessary Evil
Haterz Gon' Hate

"You believe you have dominion
So you force your lame opinions on me
And my eggshell mind"
LukasV

Postby jamescfm » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:52 am

Personally I don't really feel that old topics "get in the way". Unnecessarily stickied threads can sometimes be annoying but that's easily remedied. Lukas' idea would certainly work if there is a feeling that some archiving is necessary. The General Information Board is a bit of a mish-mash, maybe that could be streamlined or removed or whatever.
jamescfm

Postby Aquinas » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:56 pm

It has come to my attention that 3 years worth of threads have been removed from the General Discussion sub-forum (ie. all of the ones before August 2012).

Could we have an explanation of why this was done, and whether there is any possibility of restoring them?

After all, the Particracy community has been around a long time now, and this is all part of our history.
Aquinas

Postby cm9777 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:59 am

-
cm9777

Postby Edmund » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:46 pm

cm9777 wrote:though it was probably a long time ago

You mean in August? I brought it up at the time and I was essentially ignored.
Edmund

Next

Return to General