Cultural Creation Thread - Update here!

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: Cultural Creation Thread - Update here!

Postby Farsun » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:01 pm

Dorvik has always had a German-Russian culture for as long as I can remember, I mean when I first arrived the party was the International Extreme Fascist Party and was based off the NSDAP from what I can remember. Dorvik has turned into a multi-party parliamentary democracy with a proud nationalistic nature and fiercely independent national population.

See: http://particracy.wikia.com/wiki/Dorvish
Dorvish Social Nationalist Party
OOC Administrator of the Artanian Union & Bureaucrat of the Particracy Wiki
Farsun

Postby Gracchus » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:24 am

I've been looking at some of your material for Dorvik; and I've been thinking that the term Dorvish should really be Dorvische in order to align closer with German/Dundorfian (see http://particracy.wikia.com/wiki/Dundorfian#History). I'm going to go ahead and change this, let me know if you have a problem with it.

Also, in the language section of the Dorvish people, it states that they speak Russian and Bulgarian - Terra already has Russian, it's called Rodshya (see http://particracy.wikia.com/wiki/Terran_Language_Families#Delic) and it is spoken in Trigunia and has been for some thousand years or so. Also, linguistically these languages make no sense on Artania given that they are not related to each other. It would be like speaking Chinese and Bantu in the same country. If I could propose a change to languages a bit closer; such as either Low German, Frisian, Danish, or some sort of Dutch but keeping their in-game names. Just a suggestion.
Gracchus

Postby Lucca » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:00 pm

Gracchus wrote:Also, in the language section of the Dorvish people, it states that they speak Russian and Bulgarian - Terra already has Russian, it's called Rodshya (see http://particracy.wikia.com/wiki/Terran_Language_Families#Delic) and it is spoken in Trigunia and has been for some thousand years or so. Also, linguistically these languages make no sense on Artania given that they are not related to each other. It would be like speaking Chinese and Bantu in the same country. If I could propose a change to languages a bit closer; such as either Low German, Frisian, Danish, or some sort of Dutch but keeping their in-game names. Just a suggestion.

I'm next door in Kirlawa :)
and I remember our neighbour Dorvik having had some Scandinavian / Nordic influences, long ago (probably before the wiki articles were written).
If you're interested in a second culture and language with some relation to German, may I suggest reviving Nordic, please (whether Danish or other)?

As for Russian, the continent of Keris is pretty much our Eastern Europe, with Russian or Ukrainian in Trigunia, Latvian in Dolgava, and Romanian in New Endralon.

Terra does already have a Nordic nation over in Kazulia, but I feel that adding (or rather restoring) another one would be fine.
OOC Earth has five or six -- Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Finland (although Finland's language is starkly different, being not only non-Germanic, but non-Indo-European) and the Faroe Islands (definitely Nordic, but their total population is only fifty thousand).

I feel that this would clearly be more appropriate than adding another Dutch nation in Dorvik. I've been here for three and a half years, in Dorvik's southeastern neighbour, and I can't remember any past Dutch influences at all in Dorvik ... Terra already has a very Dutch nation in Vanuku, where there is currently room for six additional parties, for players who would like to join a Dutch nation ... and OOC Earth has only one fully independent Dutch nation anyway (Flanders has a little autonomy but is far from fully independent, and in South Africa the Boers are a minority).
Dutch might be related slightly more closely to German than the Nordic languages are, but nevertheless they're all still Germanic.

Better yet, many OOC Nordic places have names ending in -vik, such as Iceland's capital Reykjavik, Norway's towns Larvik and Gjøvik and Narvik and Leirvik, Sweden's towns Örnsköldsvik and Västervik, and the Faroese towns Klaksvik and Hoyvik, among many others.

Looking at these, Dorvik would fit right in perfectly. :)
Lucca

Postby JuliaAJA » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:45 am

I looked on the wiki and found that Cildanian is Phoenician and Church Cildanian is Syriac. I am sad to report that I forgot to check the wiki until after making the current Cildanian language as general Aramaic. I am hoping that nobody will mind if I use Aramaic as current Cildanian; it is rather more difficult to find Phoenician resources.
Joined Particracy on: December 18, 2008
Click here for my versions of Siggon's spreadsheets.
JuliaAJA

Postby MrBean111 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:41 am

Has anyone taken a look at Gaduridos lately? It looks like it has been named after a party.
The Imperial Crownlands of Greater Hulstria
"Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets"
MrBean111

Postby Eryk » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:01 pm

MrBean111 wrote:Has anyone taken a look at Gaduridos lately? It looks like it has been named after a party.

I have - I'm not sure if that can be considered culture jacking however. The party that is there now is a party from Rutania.
Eryk

Postby MrBean111 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:30 pm

Even if the culture isn't changed, shouldn't changing the nation name have similar rules? What is the reason for naming the country after a party? While Gad. has the brackets, the brackets should only come into effect when the nation name is in a different language (that is why the brackets were established in the first place). Another example is in Alduria where it is known as Alduria & Vonarburg; the Vonarburg part comes from a former President who if I'm not wrong abolished the monarchy there. When did this trend start now naming countries after people and parties?
The Imperial Crownlands of Greater Hulstria
"Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets"
MrBean111

Postby Xanathos » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:46 am

MrBean111 wrote:Even if the culture isn't changed, shouldn't changing the nation name have similar rules? What is the reason for naming the country after a party? While Gad. has the brackets, the brackets should only come into effect when the nation name is in a different language (that is why the brackets were established in the first place). Another example is in Alduria where it is known as Alduria & Vonarburg; the Vonarburg part comes from a former President who if I'm not wrong abolished the monarchy there. When did this trend start now naming countries after people and parties?

Just one more example of the game going down the drain...
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan
Xanathos

Postby Eryk » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:36 pm

Xanathos wrote:Just one more example of the game going down the drain...

Xanathos, the game is not going down the drain simply because your monarchies are failing or because people are changing the names of countries. The reason why the game is failing is because moderation still has not introduce proper cultural protocols which would block such pointless and without context actions. Honestly, I completely changed Kazulia simply because I wanted to run a monarchy for once. However for most of its history Kazulia was a Republic. I simply aimed at Kazulia because it was an easy target to take over and model a Nordic state. I find that, that shouldn't be allowed. Republics shouldn't become monarchs in a couple days, and vice-versa.

As respectful as I am to moderation, Darvian and Jay by now should have recruited a completely new team which has the training and capabilities to run this delicate game. Furthermore, they should have introduced new sets of rules which would block cultural jacking and the destruction of nations which have much RP over hundreds of game years. The game should not go into complete chaos because we don't have a full moderation team. Urien has done a wonderful job moderating and running the game on his own - however there are also situations which require a full moderation team.
Eryk

Postby Urien » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:17 pm

Alright, guys, look, there are cultural protocols that have been in the works for some time. Unfortunately, they have not been perfected. However, they are applied when necessary.

As for the whole republics and monarchies shouldn't just change in a matter of days, well, that is why it takes "months" for bills to pass. It is the responsibility of the players to RP a government change.

Thank you Bean for bringing to moderation's attention the name of Gaduridos. I will change it right away.
Urien

PreviousNext

Return to General