Cultural Creation Thread - Update here!

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: Cultural Creation Thread - Update here!

Postby Eryk » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:36 am

Urien wrote:Alright, guys, look, there are cultural protocols that have been in the works for some time. Unfortunately, they have not been perfected. However, they are applied when necessary.

As for the whole republics and monarchies shouldn't just change in a matter of days, well, that is why it takes "months" for bills to pass. It is the responsibility of the players to RP a government change.

Thank you Bean for bringing to moderation's attention the name of Gaduridos. I will change it right away.

Obviously, the cultural protocols aren't doing a good enough job if the name of Gaduridos can be changed to name it after a party without moderation noticing or doing something about it.

About the Monarchies and Republics, imagine if Luthori fell. That's comparable to the fall of the United Kingdom just like that. That doesn't happen, and it shouldn't happen vice-versa.
Eryk

Postby Amazeroth » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:58 pm

Eryk wrote:
Urien wrote:Alright, guys, look, there are cultural protocols that have been in the works for some time. Unfortunately, they have not been perfected. However, they are applied when necessary.

As for the whole republics and monarchies shouldn't just change in a matter of days, well, that is why it takes "months" for bills to pass. It is the responsibility of the players to RP a government change.

Thank you Bean for bringing to moderation's attention the name of Gaduridos. I will change it right away.

Obviously, the cultural protocols aren't doing a good enough job if the name of Gaduridos can be changed to name it after a party without moderation noticing or doing something about it.

As long as they don't name Gaduridos after a RL party, and as long as it was RPed somehow, why shouldn't they be able to call Gaduridos whatever they want? The former dictator of Turkmenistan even named a month after himself and another after his mother, I don't think it wouldn't have been that much of a surprise if he had changed the countries name after his.

About the Monarchies and Republics, imagine if Luthori fell. That's comparable to the fall of the United Kingdom just like that. That doesn't happen, and it shouldn't happen vice-versa.

Luthori did fall some months ago (or did at least almost fall, I'm not entirely sure). In RL, both changes from republic to monarchist systems and vice versa (probably more often vice versa) did and do happen. Apart from the rule that the game mechanics always come first, which of course apply to this, there is no reason why changes in governmental systems should be forbidden. And, as Urien rightly said, it doesn't happen "just like that". In-game it happens in months or even years.
Eines Tages traf Karl der Große eine alte Frau.
"Guten Tag, alte Frau", sagte Karl der Große.
"Guten Tag, Karl der Große", sagte die alte Frau.
Solche und ähnliche Geschichten erzählt man sich über die Leutseligkeit Karls des Großen.
Amazeroth

Postby Darvian » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:48 pm

Eryk wrote:Obviously, the cultural protocols aren't doing a good enough job if the name of Gaduridos can be changed to name it after a party without moderation noticing or doing something about it. .

The Cultural Protocols aren't in effect as no nation has come forward to effectively seek cultural protection. Just saying.
Darvian

Postby Xanathos » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:42 pm

Darvian wrote:
Eryk wrote:Obviously, the cultural protocols aren't doing a good enough job if the name of Gaduridos can be changed to name it after a party without moderation noticing or doing something about it. .

The Cultural Protocols aren't in effect as no nation has come forward to effectively seek cultural protection. Just saying.

That can be done? If that's the case, I request here and now that Luthori be given cultural protection.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan
Xanathos

Postby Eryk » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:54 pm

Darvian wrote:

Darvian that is completely stupid and shows the ineffectiveness of the cultural protocols. All nations if not culturally void should automatically have cultural protection. And if moderation can tell me, that I cannot change my nations to something like "Marxist Republic" or "Soviet Republic" why can't it say "changing Gaduridos' name to Eredian is not allowed"?

I similarly like Xanathos would also like cultural protection for my nation - it recently went through an almost successful Anglicization which I want to make sure does not happen again.
Eryk

Postby Amazeroth » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:55 pm

Eryk wrote:And if moderation can tell me, that I cannot change my nations to something like "Marxist Republic" or "Soviet Republic" why can't it say "changing Gaduridos' name to Eredian is not allowed"?

That really isn't the same thing. The first one wouldn't be allowed because the terms "marxist" or "soviet" are RL terms. Why the second one shouldn't be allowed is completely beyond me; but even if there was a good reason why a country couldn't be named after a person (tell that to Bolivia), it just isn't in the rules, and that shouldn't be changed lightly.
Solche und ähnliche Geschichten erzählt man sich über die Leutseligkeit Karls des Großen.
Amazeroth

Postby Eryk » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:15 pm

Amazeroth wrote:
Eryk wrote:And if moderation can tell me, that I cannot change my nations to something like "Marxist Republic" or "Soviet Republic" why can't it say "changing Gaduridos' name to Eredian is not allowed"?

That really isn't the same thing. The first one wouldn't be allowed because the terms "marxist" or "soviet" are RL terms. Why the second one shouldn't be allowed is completely beyond me; but even if there was a good reason why a country couldn't be named after a person (tell that to Bolivia), it just isn't in the rules, and that shouldn't be changed lightly.

I still don't understand why I can change Kazulia's name to the "Kingdom of Eryk" while I can't have a Soviet of Marxist Republic. Who cares that Marxist and Soviet are real life terms, technically, Eryk is as well - however I can still change the name because there's no rule about it. Renaming a country after person (Bolivia named itself right after independence not in the middle of their existence) with completely no historical context should not be allowed and should be treated as destroying the culture of a nation - period.
Eryk

Postby Amazeroth » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:31 pm

Eryk wrote:
Amazeroth wrote:

I still don't understand why I can change Kazulia's name to the "Kingdom of Eryk" while I can't have a Soviet of Marxist Republic. Who cares that Marxist and Soviet are real life terms, technically, Eryk is as well - however I can still change the name because there's no rule about it.

Real life terms are forbidden, period. That decidedly doesn't cover names, since they are the same in the particracy world as in the real one. Marxist and Soviet make no sense in particracy, because there hasn't been a Karl Marx, and there hasn't been a Soviet Union (or other occurences from where the term Soviet would derive). However, since Eryk can be a name in particracy as well, there is no reason to ban the use of real life names as names for countries.

Renaming a country after person (Bolivia named itself right after independence not in the middle of their existence) with completely no historical context should not be allowed and should be treated as destroying the culture of a nation - period.

In this case, any kind of renaming a country, regardless after or into what, should be treated as destroying its culture, as long as it hasn't been RPed. There's no reason why renaming a country after a person should be regarded any more or less violating than any other renaming.
Since there really isn't a way to "measure" if something had historical context or not, or if something was RPed enough for you to be satisfied, this will hardly become a rule.

Apart from that, changing a countries name has little to nothing to do with the countries culture. Changing the countries language or even ethnicity, or maybe its major religious affiliation, that is usually what is considered destroying its culture, changing its name matters only very little on that part.
Amazeroth

Postby Eryk » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:14 pm

Amazeroth wrote:
Real life terms are forbidden, period.

Great! Now lets all hold hands and jointly think of words to replace terms like Republic, People's Republic, Kingdom and others!

Furthermore, your idea is slightly flawed. There wasn't any "Eryk" in Particracy either (thinking in context here), however I still could change the countries name despite it being a real life term (name rather).

Amazeroth wrote:Apart from that, changing a countries name has little to nothing to do with the countries culture. Changing the countries language or even ethnicity, or maybe its major religious affiliation, that is usually what is considered destroying its culture, changing its name matters only very little on that part.

Wrong wording?

Perhaps I'm getting that from my own culture where it mattered that we were named "Poland" rather than Prussia or Russia ;)
Eryk

Postby Amazeroth » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:49 pm

Eryk wrote:
Amazeroth wrote:
Real life terms are forbidden, period.

Great! Now lets all hold hands and jointly think of words to replace terms like Republic, People's Republic, Kingdom and others!

Furthermore, your idea is slightly flawed. There wasn't any "Eryk" in Particracy either (thinking in context here), however I still could change the countries name despite it being a real life term (name rather).

Do you always only read the first sentence?

Amazeroth wrote:Apart from that, changing a countries name has little to nothing to do with the countries culture. Changing the countries language or even ethnicity, or maybe its major religious affiliation, that is usually what is considered destroying its culture, changing its name matters only very little on that part.

Wrong wording?

Perhaps I'm getting that from my own culture where it mattered that we were named "Poland" rather than Prussia or Russia ;)

Sure, because, if you didn't call yourself Poland, your culture would undoubtedly have been Russian or Prussian, and you'd all speak German or Russian, and be protestants or orthodox. If anything, the name is derivated from the culture, not vice versa.
Amazeroth

PreviousNext

Return to General