Cultural Creation Thread - Update here!

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: Cultural Creation Thread - Update here!

Postby Siggon Kristov » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:39 am

So with all this blah blah being said, could you get to the main point that is relevant to whatever you're replying to?
I'm hoping that what I quoted, below, is it.
Farsun wrote:I'm all for diversifying the game but at least in a manner that's realistic.

Well, Beluzia and it's region names have Spanish origin, and it is perfectly placed for Spain. Is it realistic enough?
English is a Germanic language. Spanish ethnicity is a mixture of Moors and some sort of European.
Check out my latest Particracy project, and feel free to discuss it in the forums.
Siggon Kristov

Postby Farsun » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:47 am

Selucic, the games version of Romance is predominately in Seleya and if you wanted to state that you had massive immigration from the continent or one of the relevant nations that speaks Spanish, then yeah, it'd be realistic but theres no events where Seleya and Artanian have had such tremendous contact that they would have exchanged significant cultures. Majatran I could make the argument for especially due to the close proximity. It's harder to explain the existence of Spanish in Beluzia, I understand regions names are "Spanish" but that's likely because 90% of them were randomly generated.

So in short, not really.
Dorvish Social Nationalist Party
OOC Administrator of the Artanian Union & Bureaucrat of the Particracy Wiki
Farsun

Postby Siggon Kristov » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:05 am

Farsun wrote:Selucic, the games version of Romance is predominately in Seleya and if you wanted to state that you had massive immigration from the continent or one of the relevant nations that speaks Spanish, then yeah, it'd be realistic but theres no events where Seleya and Artanian have had such tremendous contact that they would have exchanged significant cultures.

Obviously you're not seeing where I say the other Spanish cultures are spaced out and completely artificial. They just dropped Spanish cultures in random places, just like French is dropped so far away from German.

Majatran I could make the argument for especially due to the close proximity. It's harder to explain the existence of Spanish in Beluzia,

The Majtrans and Artanians would mix to form the Spanish.

Farsun wrote:I understand regions names are "Spanish" but that's likely because 90% of them were randomly generated.

Not making much sense here. Why would most of them seem Spanish if most of them were randomly generated?
Why would Indrala and its regions all seem Indian?
Why would Solentia's names all seem Asian?
Why would Gaduridos' regions names all seem Italian?
The regions' names weren't randomly generated and placed in random nations. In any nation, you see some consistency in the regions' names. It's obvious that some nations were intended to represent some real-life ones.
Check out my latest Particracy project, and feel free to discuss it in the forums.
Siggon Kristov

Postby Farsun » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:21 am

Yeah, in the beginning of the game things were entirely artificial and developed along a entirely made up line, but we are established now and we have to accept the results of the past. Beluzia hasn't been spanish, while yes it might have spanish names, it's never been spanish and just because the real-world Arabs and Europeans made Spanish, doesn't mean anything. The Iberian language actually developed from Latin, which in this case would be Selucian, hence it being known as a romantic language. I can't explain certain things and why they are.
Farsun

Postby Afrocentric » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:15 am

It's my knowledge that Beluzia hasn't had an established culture in a long time. The first time I tried out this game, back in 2008, I think the guy there had it RP'd as some nation based loosely on a Spanish culture mixed with asiatic influences. That would explain why Rutania has a small asiatic minority.

As to the other nations on Artania, Ikradon hasn't had an established culture in a long time, I read on the old forums that Aloria was supposedly based on the USA in terms of culture, my time in Kirlawa taught me that it was based on the Netherlands.

And I can't tell you what the fuck Endralon and Kundrati are based on.

Urban Party of Kirlawa, Kirlawa - Inactive
Democratic Reform Party, Talmoria - Inactive
Labour Party, Saridan - Inactive
Urban Party of Rutania, Rutania - Inactive

http://www.soundcloud.com/djtechnotikofficial
Afrocentric

Postby Siggon Kristov » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:27 am

Farsun wrote:Yeah, in the beginning of the game things were entirely artificial and developed along a entirely made up line,

Good, then stop telling me crap about randomly-generated names if it's not true.

Farsun wrote:but we are established now and we have to accept the results of the past. Beluzia hasn't been spanish, while yes it might have spanish names, it's never been spanish

I've been told, by other players, that they tried to create a Caribbean-like theme (think Cuba) here.
No offence, but I trust them more than you, and you seem to be here just antagonising me. You're making things up as you go along.

seanrutter's characters used the surname "Barbossa" which is very close to "Barbosa" - the name "Barbosa" is mostly used by Iberian peoples, mainly the Portuguese (as a language) and the Galicians (as a surname).
He used Spanish pictures for his RP of the Barbossas.
I see where Spanish names were quite popular for HoS candidates until it was just wucott2 (before I came to Beluzia).

The Zogist era had "Jesus" as a significant character.
The capital of Beluzia was "Calpicosa" ("picosa" is Spanish origin). No city has been capital longer than Calpicosa, and I assume other cities had names with Spanish origin as well.

Farsun wrote:and just because the real-world Arabs and Europeans made Spanish, doesn't mean anything.

It's realistic for Nordic cultures to be spread out inconsistently, or for Spanish cultures to be put in random places, but not realistic for a nation (which was obviously intended to be Spain) to finally decide on a culture that is justified by its RL-counterpart?

Farsun wrote:The Iberian language actually developed from Latin, which in this case would be Selucian, hence it being known as a romantic language.
It's interesting that Selucia is also in that direction.

By the way, I'm not talking about only language; the ethnicity and culture of the Iberians were affected by the Moors.

Farsun wrote:I can't explain certain things and why they are.

I know this. This is quite obvious. Don't try too hard :lol:

--

Afrocentric wrote:It's my knowledge that Beluzia hasn't had an established culture in a long time. The first time I tried out this game, back in 2008, I think the guy there had it RP'd as some nation based loosely on a Spanish culture mixed with asiatic influences. That would explain why Rutania has a small asiatic minority.

Why trust your knowledge when we can trust Farsun's dishonest blabber?
By the way, thanks for letting me know of the Asiatic minority. That's 3 reasons to have an Asiatic minority, now...
1) The one you just gave me would suggest a migration took place
2) The Indralan Communist exiles who came to Beluzia
3) The Takanashi Clan that migrated from Sekowo to spread its religion
Siggon Kristov

Postby Farsun » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:40 pm

Siggon, I'll just laugh and let it go. Do whatever you want, if it looks stupid, its your own fault.
Farsun

Postby Siggon Kristov » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:06 pm

J94CK wrote:Siggon, who told you that players in the past tried to give Beluzia a 'Caribbean-like theme'?

2 other players that were in Beluzia before me, and had returned.
I have also been told by 2 other non-Beluz players that Darnussia has Portuguese people there.

J94CK wrote:Beluzia has always been one of the most neglected countries when it comes to cultures, though that is probably down to the fact that for the most part its been full of nutters.

Yes, wucott2 just made it England. It was dead-bland.

J94CK wrote:You're right in saying that there have been head of state with Spanish names, but not many.

That is not what I said.

J94CK wrote:I said earlier that I put a cultural protocol on Baltusia reaffirming its Spanish culture based on a previous census.
Dranland has historically had a significant Spanish population too.

I'm not saying that the other Spanish cultures are recent; I'm saying that they seem random, no matter how long they were put there.

J94CK wrote:I don't see why you're asking people, though. Surely any culture in Beluzia would be better than none at all?

I want to make sure I don't do anything crazy.

J94CK wrote:My only problem is the 'generic European culture' thing, what is 'generic European culture'? Pretty much every European country has its own, unique, culture.

I didn't say anything about a genetic European culture.

Farsun wrote:Do whatever you want, if it looks stupid, its your own fault.

Your first response was a set of 4 paragraphs that didn't respond to anything I was asking. It seemed more like just promoting your own interests (which you should know by now - no-one really cares, Farsun). Your Artanian Union won't work, your German Artania won't work. Those are the things you need to let go.
Your next 2 responses barely made sense, and they contradicted each other.

I'm trying to develop Beluzia, not "Farsun's Artania" - I don't know if you dream about me or something, but I'm not a part of your dream, of controlling Artania and other nations in the game, and I don't intend to be a part. I'm asking the general community, preferably the persons who actually know something, not the guy who didn't know that Scandinavia was in the Baltic.
In short, I don't really value your opinion. You've called everything "stupid" or said you "don't care" after ranting about them, when they weren't in your interests. I've seen it before (more than once), I've heard it from other IML players, I've heard it from other ATR players, and I heard it from another player in an Artanian nation.
Siggon Kristov

Postby Farsun » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:42 pm

J94CK wrote:http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill.php?billid=379354

'Negunia will have a generic European culture.'
What's a 'generic European culture'?

You're only criticising any suggestions or help that people (people who have played Particracy for much longer than yourself) are trying to give you anyway so you may as well do whatever you want.

Thank you.
Farsun

Postby Siggon Kristov » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:47 pm

J94CK wrote:http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill.php?billid=379354

'Negunia will have a generic European culture.'
What's a 'generic European culture'?

Oh, you were referring to the bill... I thought you were referring to my question.
I mean anything that is Generic Artanian. It won't actually be a culture, it's just broad bland English-style nations.

J94CK wrote:You're only criticising any suggestions or help that people (people who have played Particracy for much longer than yourself) are trying to give you anyway so you may as well do whatever you want.

Actually, it's specifically Farsun. I think Farsun is "a person" but thanks for updating me and informing me that he is plural now. Wait, why am I saying "he" when I should be saying "they" ?
Siggon Kristov

PreviousNext

Return to General