Full Game Reset

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: Full Game Reset

Postby Aquinas » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:27 am

soysauce wrote:I'm really indifferent to the prospect of a reset but I will say that I'd rather play in something new and free of obligations than in the shell of someone's old RP while tied to keeping their creation in place,

I think it's sometimes better to allow something to end rather than dragging it on long past it's day,

I can understand that sentiment. For me, the issue is whether the existing set-up in a nation encourages or hinders creativity and gameplay. In many cases, it is a positive thing. But if it's become a drag...then there's a case for allowing people to try out something different.
Aquinas

Postby Aquinas » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:10 am

Zanz wrote:
Polites wrote:
PaleRider wrote:Zanz- Do you honestly care about pre-3200?

Honestly its just not worth remember it

Much more interesting things happened pre-3200.

Indeed. Solentia alone from 2400 - 3000 was, in my opinion, more interestingly played than most of Terra put together now, in my opinion.

Gameplay is often more exciting when you're personally involved in it than when you're watching it from the outside as an observer. That's something I've discovered.
Aquinas

Postby MichaelReilly » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:40 pm

PaleRider wrote:Zanz- Do you honestly care about pre-3200?

Honestly its just not worth remember it

Speak for yourself.
Down with this sort of thing
MichaelReilly

Postby PaleRider » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:23 pm

Zanz and Polites: while those times MAY have been more fun and interesting those times are GONE. You and only a handful of players are still around from that time. Maybe its time for a game reset to shake things up and create a new set of opportunities for people.

Michael Reilly- i really dont see why it matters whether we reset our history and the game. Yes those times were fun and the RP was great and probably better than now but those times are gone. If we reset right we can probably incorporate all the history and prior RP into a re-written pre-game history that represents a coherent base to play the game from. Indeed a reset would probably better preserve prior history as we sort through it to write a new history.
Political Affiliation~ GOP (US)
Pro: Liberal Conservatism, Paleo-liberalism, Chicago Capitalism, social conservatism, neoconservative
Anti: leftist, multiculturalism, Islamic radicalism
Currently the Zardic People's Party
Starring as Wiendonia in NS
PaleRider

Postby Zongxian » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:05 pm

I have no interest in extended involvement in this debate... but I will say as a player that has been around since 2466 that there was plenty of memorable RP prior to 3200, contrary to some of the opinions here. And really, any opinion that suggests a certain time period as "not memorable" is saying so with a personal bias that comes from a lack of involvement in RP that occurred during those times.

That said, suggesting "those times are gone"...well, the same can be said about current RP.
If this game still exists a few years from now, what of the RP from this time? Will the community of the future reject it as being the past in their calls for a reset?

Additionally, arguments relating to not wanting to be confined to previous player's work on nations. Well, a reset obviously gets rid of that. But what replaces it? Nothing more than new confinements, except by a different player or group of players. Nothing is achieved in this other than selfish gain.

My position is this: I oppose a reset.
We should not abandon the extensive work and history that has been put into many nations. As for those nations with holes in their history, or that lack a comprehensible identity, those nations can be addressed individually. Work can be done within the current structure to improve those nations and to put them on par with the most developed nations. The work and history of Particracy to today should be respected and it should not be our goal to broadly reset it on account of a minority of issues that need to be addressed.
Zongxian

Postby EEL123 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:07 pm

What many people say is true, Pale. You may not care because you weren't there (well, I can't say for sure, but I'm assuming it's because you weren't there). Other people were there, and they obviously do care.
House of Razama
EEL123

Postby Aquinas » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:41 pm

EEL123 wrote:What many people say is true, Pale. You may not care because you weren't there (well, I can't say for sure, but I'm assuming it's because you weren't there). Other people were there, and they obviously do care.

As someone who has been around a long time, I empathise with the feelings (if not always all of the specific arguments) of those who feel past roleplay should be talked about with more respect. This does work the other way round as well, though. It must be demoralising for newer players to hear oldies rambling on all the time about how things were much better in the past and how all the stuff being done now is rubbish by comparison. That's negative, and it doesn't help.

It's been said before that if we all put as much energy into roleplaying as we do into whining, we'd be a lot better off :).
Aquinas

Postby PaleRider » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:43 am

Zong- Unfortunately that great reservoir cannot be accessed in any simple manner by the community at large. Outside a few pages the Wiki is an utter disaster and the Forum i gather is a new one thus most of the old old stuff was on another forum? Anyways we wouldnt have to get rid of the past RP. If we can dig up enough information we can fit it into a new more imaginative pre-game history.

EEL- haha no i joined just a few days before you stumbled onto Zardugal however i do say that while yea its nice to look back on RP's ive done i myself am not attached to them much. Sure they were fun but sometimes its better to let go tho see my above statement for my idea on how to preserve prior RP within a retcon

Aquanis- I agree with you on most matters however arguing is simpler than actually trying to fix the Wiki without hitting the delete button

To All: A full Game Retcon can respect prior RP by including it into a new pre-game RP history and we can probably replay some prior RP as well to spice things up.
Political Affiliation~ GOP (US)
Pro: Liberal Conservatism, Paleo-liberalism, Chicago Capitalism, social conservatism, neoconservative
Anti: leftist, multiculturalism, Islamic radicalism
Currently the Zardic People's Party
Starring as Wiendonia in NS
PaleRider

Postby Siggon Kristov » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:46 am

PaleRider wrote:yea its nice to look back on RP's ive done i myself am not attached to them much. Sure they were fun but sometimes its better to let go

+1
Check out my latest Particracy project, and feel free to discuss it in the forums.
Siggon Kristov

Postby EEL123 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:04 am

PaleRider wrote:Unfortunately that great reservoir cannot be accessed in any simple manner by the community at large.
If economics is any guide, the harder it is to get to, the more it's worth.

PaleRider wrote:i myself am not attached to them much.
You yourself aren't. They themselves are.
House of Razama
EEL123

PreviousNext

Return to General