We need less Presidents and Prime Ministers!

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: We need less Presidents and Prime Ministers!

Postby LNRulez01 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:51 pm

Kubrick wrote:Alright, I yield. I tried to make Vanuku an interesting federal republic with a few spasms to it's democratic, monarchist and fascist history. I like the nation name of Federation of Banded States. But the HOS is the President of the Federation.. Couldn't think of anything better. HOG is Chancellor of the Federation. Not super original but okay-ish I guess.

I'd love to hear some suggestions for the HOS that fit a federal republic and it's history (fascist/monarchist/lots of republics (like France)).

If youre still keeping the Dutch atmosphere you could always use "Stadhouder" as HoS title. This title is, to my understanding, neither republican nor monarchist so it might be a good compromise for a lack of better, more original titles.
- It is the rule in war, if ten times the enemy's strength, surround them; if five times, attack them; if double, be able to divide them; if equal,engage them; if fewer, be able to evade them; if weaker, be able to avoid them.

Sun Tzu, 6th century BC
LNRulez01

Postby lombas » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:52 pm

Mordusia had "High Commissioner" and "Comptroller and Auditor General", but it just went back to "President" and "Premier".

I would welcome some reference to middle ages, like seneschal, bailiff or something like that, but I must admit I like "President". It's the easy way.
The Agrarian Party of the Freestate of Mordusia
Defending free trade, freethought, open borders, neutrality and Mordusian heritage since 2171
lombas

Postby SelucianCrusader » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:12 pm

GreekIdiot wrote:
Farsun wrote:I think the guy went with Exarch for Prime Minister, Strategos for provincial governors and polemarchs for mayors. Sounds badass.

Exactly my point. My fellow political enemies in particracy are full of democracy and equality and peace. The terms are warfare related.

And you westerns are so easy to please by the way. A movie called "300" goes out and suddenly Greeks are either gay or suicidal. And matrix-like-cool.

Regarding Greek history, I'm more of an admirer of Byzantium myself, or the post-476 AD Roman Empire as it should rightfully be called.

The Byzantine Empire has quite a few titles that could be used with some creativity. Take Hypatos (Consul), seems like a perfect title for a leader of a greek democracy.
SelucianCrusader

Postby GreekIdiot » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:42 pm

Indeed, although Byzantium was the equivalent of the Dark Ages of the Western world and I particularly dislike that era.

Hypatos (Ύπατος) would be a nice term. However, it pertains to a warfare state of things, too. Much related to old times does not have the air of the modernized political world, after the political scene theoretically got separated from both religion and military. The term President, I find it always giving me an image of Obama, or rather US Presidents. According to the Greek constitution, the President is just a public figure, while the Prime Minister or rather, the Prothypourgos (Πρωθυπουργός), is the head of State and appoints the rest of the government.
The Terran Times
Also being that guy who's pretending to be this guy.
GreekIdiot

Postby Amazeroth » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:23 pm

SelucianCrusader wrote:
Regarding Greek history, I'm more of an admirer of Byzantium myself, or the post-476 AD Roman Empire as it should rightfully be called.

The Byzantine Empire has quite a few titles that could be used with some creativity. Take Hypatos (Consul), seems like a perfect title for a leader of a greek democracy.

Or Panhypersebastor.

That is, by the way, exactly what I did with Kalopia when I ruled there.

GreekIdiot wrote:Indeed, although Byzantium was the equivalent of the Dark Ages of the Western world and I particularly dislike that era.

It so wasn't. Except if you are implying that the Dark Ages of the Western world weren't dark -which they decidedly weren't. Byzantium was by far the culturally (and scientifically) most vibrant place throughout the medieval ages. It just suffers from the same problem the medieval age over here still suffers - good (as in successful) propaganda. Whereas the term "Dark Ages" was forged by Protestant propaganda in order to discredit the Catholic time before, Byzantium was simultaneously described only as a corrupt, decadent place, merely shadowing the long gone glory of ancient Rome, and rightly dying under the Ottomans. Both were, of course, as modern historians usually show without much problems, compeltely wrong.
Eines Tages traf Karl der Große eine alte Frau.
"Guten Tag, alte Frau", sagte Karl der Große.
"Guten Tag, Karl der Große", sagte die alte Frau.
Solche und ähnliche Geschichten erzählt man sich über die Leutseligkeit Karls des Großen.
Amazeroth

Postby EEL123 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:21 pm

Amazeroth wrote:Panhypersebastor
It has to be cool, but you also have to be able to remember it. Strategos and Polemarch can be remembered, but Panhypersebastor cannot.
House of Razama
EEL123

Postby LNRulez01 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:06 pm

GreekIdiot wrote:Indeed, although Byzantium was the equivalent of the Dark Ages of the Western world and I particularly dislike that era.

You guys do know that the Dark Ages is a conspiracy instigated by the Holy Roman Emperor Otto III.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_time_hypothesis
- It is the rule in war, if ten times the enemy's strength, surround them; if five times, attack them; if double, be able to divide them; if equal,engage them; if fewer, be able to evade them; if weaker, be able to avoid them.

Sun Tzu, 6th century BC
LNRulez01

Postby GreekIdiot » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:41 pm

LNRulez01 wrote:

You guys do know that the Dark Ages is a conspiracy instigated by the Holy Roman Emperor Otto III.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_time_hypothesis

I'll finish my bottle of wine and then read the article.
The Terran Times
Also being that guy who's pretending to be this guy.
GreekIdiot

Postby EEL123 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:34 am

LNRulez01 wrote:You guys do know that the Dark Ages is a conspiracy instigated by the Holy Roman Emperor Otto III.
I never knew that was even taken seriously enough to warrant a wikipedia page. If you ask me, it doesn't.
House of Razama
EEL123

Postby LNRulez01 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:54 am

EEL123 wrote:
LNRulez01 wrote:You guys do know that the Dark Ages is a conspiracy instigated by the Holy Roman Emperor Otto III.
I never knew that was even taken seriously enough to warrant a wikipedia page. If you ask me, it doesn't.

I agree with you, but it is some interesting reading material if your bored.

Sun Tzu, 6th century BC
LNRulez01

PreviousNext

Return to General