Jelbic Languages Dictionary - Updates / Requests

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Jelbic Languages Dictionary - Updates / Requests

Postby IdioC » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:01 pm

Updates for the Jelbic languages dictionary (Jelbék, Pnték and Brmék). The latest version will be put in this first post as well as announced at the time.

PARTICRACY WIKI:
Old High Jelbic
Old High Jelbic Grammar - Work in Progress
Old High Jelbic Grammar/Tutorial - Work in Progress

CURRENT VERSION:
These links will always be updated to reflect the latest version:
ANSI/iso 8859-15: http://www.idioc.co.uk/Jelbic.txt
UTF8: http://www.idioc.co.uk/JelbicUTF8.txt

CHANGELOG:
v. 0.1.3: http://www.idioc.co.uk/Jelbic-0.1.3.txt (most people) / http://www.idioc.co.uk/Jelbic-0.1.3%20UTF8.txt (Unicode fans).

The "Feed Me" Update.
(Seriously, how can any culture not discuss what they eat? Must be seriously bad food...)

Changes:
-New Particle:
drmwa ("even if", "despite")

-Verbs:
*Grammar Expansion: Conditional form added (equivalent of using "if (this happens)...")
*2 New -jo class verbs:
Abstjo (to abandon); Tabetjo (to eat)
*2 New -mo class verbs:
Drnomo (to drink); Shrmo (to rule)

-Nouns:
*Nature (3 new)
Gumo (mouth of river); Hok (hill); Yamt (mountain)

*Animals (1 new)
Frjtri (Phoenix, "Fire bird")

*Food "Tabetbjek => Tabjek" (New Section, 8 new words):
Ple (plum); Pemo (peach); Krsk (cherry); Gohr (rice); Ump (potato); Pabr (bread); Meník (meat)*; Sàfk (fish).

*Drnobjek (drink)

*Political (2 new)
Strkai (politician "seat person"); Nrjogad (election; cf. Nrjomek "vote").

-Adjectives
Grzojogadsrlji (Happy), Srnkjogadsrlji (Sad).

v. 0.1.2: http://www.idioc.co.uk/Jelbic-0.1.2.txt (most people) / http://www.idioc.co.uk/Jelbic-0.1.2%20UTF8.txt (Unicode fans).

The "Vanuku Anthem/How-The-Hell-Did-I-Miss-That?" Update.

Changes:
-Verbs:
*Grammar Expansion: Conditional form added (equivalent of using "if (this happens)...")
*6 New -jo class verbs:
Kydnjo = to deny (right); Lowàsjo = to lose (object); Tachásjo = to stand (up; make a*); Dényamtokjo = to dare; Shikjo (only in transitional form (shikjozuo)) = to know; Brmokjo = to bring (object)
*4 New -mo class verbs:
Krmo = to come; Hidnmo = to deny (fact; rumour); Wafmo = to wave (hand; object); Tokmo = to prey (upon)
*-mo class now actually sorted alphabetically

-Time:
*Words derived for "Future" and "Past"
*Suffix system for future/past relative time/time period

-Nouns:
*Early Chemical Elements/Metals section (24 words)
*Further Nature words (11 words)
*Weather words (11 words)
*Value concepts (~10 words and derived constructions)
*Dofkai/Dofmai (fool)

-Prepositions
*Above/Below/Beside/Between/In(side)/Out(side)

v. 0.1.1: http://www.idioc.co.uk/Jelbic-0.1.1.txt (most people) / http://www.idioc.co.uk/Jelbic-0.1.1%20UTF8.txt (Unicode fans).

Changes:
- Tidied up layout after restoration of dictionary to server
- Addition of two new words

v. 0.1.0:

Changes:
- Garbled Character fix: Will now be released in both UTF-8 and iso 8559-15 versions.
* If you viewed old versions without problems, you want the UTF8 version. I encoded old versions in UTF8.
(NOTE: Future UTF8 versions will have UTF8 in the filename as above. Don't forget!)
* If you noticed garbled characters, you want the iso 8559-15 version.

- Verbs
* Conjugations table tidied up extensively
* Added passive forms for verbs (How the hell I missed this to begin with beats me...)
* -mo and -jo categories sorted alphabetically by Jelbic verbs.

- Numbers
* Complete redesign of section for clarity
* Explanation of Jelbic number forms with examples for newcomers to the language.

- New words : ~10.

v. 0.0.3:

Changes:
- A few new words added based on recent requests.
- Categorised the nouns so it's easier to find things.
- Shortened the lines to eliminate the need to horizontally scroll or word wrap. Looks a bit tidier.
Last edited by IdioC on Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:58 pm, edited 7 times in total.
What is that weird Jelbék language what I types with me computer buttons?

"Kae orzy sedrijohylakmek, megàmojylakjek, frjomimek. Kaerjoshu zri? Afrkmojad firja, Kae grzy Zykhiko ajozuo zri?"
IdioC

Re: Jelbic Languages Dictionary

Postby GreekIdiot » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:28 pm

Very nice IdioC. Very nice indeed.

I was thinking we could pin this in a thread called Cultural Information for Particracy.
The Terran Times
Also being that guy who's pretending to be this guy.
GreekIdiot

Postby JuliaAJA » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:06 am

What is "Jewish" in Jelbic? What is "star"? Those type of things would help in Beíte/Beiteynu.
Joined Particracy on: December 18, 2008
Click here for my versions of Siggon's spreadsheets.
JuliaAJA

Postby IdioC » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:20 pm

Star is "Strhosí" (In NATURE rather than SHAPES).

(You'll probably see references to the "Akedé Strhosí Grundnyr" in Beiteynu bills (Red Star Movement, anyone else get the satire?) as a Pnték "invasion" to prevent other invasions when no-one was in the country. Lots of pro-Jewish parties came back, I left peacefully and they restored the country.) Doesn't look as though Grundnyr's in there though. Perhaps I've got a backlog of words to add longer than I thought...

Judaism... You've probably noticed that the religions are essentially bad transliterations. Jelbic languages are fusions of English and Japanese words - I made it as a learning aid at first - written to be as clunky and hideous as possible (with a Eastern European phonic set), and most western religions in Japanese tend to be transliterations of English. Problem is "Jude" (Yoo-Day) looks a bit German which would be a little controversial, so let's go for "Judís" (NB: the acute makes it sound less like "Judas" with a soft J). If you'd rather I went for something less awkward, then I'm happy to think of alternatives. "Strhosíék'ai" (Star-people) came to mind, but it's clunky.

"Kae orzy sedrijohylakmek, megàmojylakjek, frjomimek. Kaerjoshu zri? Afrkmojad firja, Kae grzy Zykhiko ajozuo zri?"
IdioC

Postby JuliaAJA » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:10 pm

That's good, thank you. You could say that the star-people is the old word and that Jude and Judís are different dialects. Judís could be further South like Jelbek and Southern Brmek and Jude could be further North like Pntek and Northern Brmek.
JuliaAJA

Postby IdioC » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:28 pm

Good call on the regional variation, duly added to the Work-In-Progress.

I've been trawling through all my old messages in-game to see about 10-12 words I didn't add before, based on requests by people for specific terms and expressions. I'm working on tidying the whole thing up. There'll be another update in the coming days; Brmék has some Turkish-related words and I've got to stop being a UTF-8 nazi as it messes up how it displays on most other computers (if it has an acute or grave, it gets fucked).

IdioC

Postby JuliaAJA » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:47 pm

IdioC wrote:Good call on the regional variation, duly added to the Work-In-Progress.

Thank you.

IdioC wrote:I've been trawling through all my old messages in-game to see about 10-12 words I didn't add before, based on requests by people for specific terms and expressions. I'm working on tidying the whole thing up. There'll be another update in the coming days; Brmék has some Turkish-related words and I've got to stop being a UTF-8 nazi as it messes up how it displays on most other computers (if it has an acute or grave, it gets fucked).

Good. Are you saying that you are in UTF-8? I'm in UTF-8.
JuliaAJA

Postby IdioC » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:43 am

Jessaveryja wrote:Good. Are you saying that you are in UTF-8? I'm in UTF-8.

My Gentoo laptop is entirely UTF-8, but characters that are in UTF-8 don't show up properly if a web browser's set to ISO-8059-15 (If anyone reading this has no idea what I'm on about, you probably have this). E-acute, for example, was converted into three characters starting with capital A-tilde - a classic encoding garble issue - which made it look shit. Any ISO-8059 set tends to display ok in UTF-8.

...I've got a horrible feeling I've saved it as ISO-8059-17 instead (just a regional variation, but I think it's Serbian/Eastern European). Better check the diacritics work and save it properly.

Good times... :roll:

IdioC

Postby JuliaAJA » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:55 am

IdioC wrote:
Jessaveryja wrote:Good. Are you saying that you are in UTF-8? I'm in UTF-8.

My Gentoo laptop is entirely UTF-8, but characters that are in UTF-8 don't show up properly if a web browser's set to ISO-8059-15 (If anyone reading this has no idea what I'm on about, you probably have this). E-acute, for example, was converted into three characters starting with capital A-tilde - a classic encoding garble issue - which made it look shit. Any ISO-8059 set tends to display ok in UTF-8.

...I've got a horrible feeling I've saved it as ISO-8059-17 instead (just a regional variation, but I think it's Serbian/Eastern European). Better check the diacritics work and save it properly.

Good times... :roll:

You almost lost me there.
JuliaAJA

Re: Jelbic Languages Dictionary - Updates / Requests

Postby Karbrino » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:28 pm

I would like to see the following word: Soviet, Republic, Federal, People, and Barmenian (it only have Barmenistan.)

I want to call Barmenistan as "Barmenian Soviet Republic" can you translate into this language if possible?
Karbrino

Next

Return to General