Jelbic Languages Dictionary - Updates / Requests

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: Jelbic Languages Dictionary - Updates / Requests

Postby Molotov » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:04 pm

Aren't people from Barmenistan called Barmenistani? Why don't you try Soviet Republic of Barmenistan, that sounds nicer anyway.
Molotov

Postby Karbrino » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:08 pm

To my viewpoint, they never quite use Barmenistani, but Barmenian, Barmenia, and just recently, back to Barmenistan.
Karbrino

Postby JuliaAJA » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:33 am

Karbrino wrote:I would like to see the following word: Soviet, Republic, Federal, People, and Barmenian (it only have Barmenistan.)

I want to call Barmenistan as "Barmenian Soviet Republic" can you translate into this language if possible?

Soviet = Kaisrne = People Table
Republic = Wrntuhikonrzi = Leader Election-ist
Federal = Stadak = Town-ish
People = Kai = Kaisrne - Srne/Table
Barmenian = Brmek
Joined Particracy on: December 18, 2008
Click here for my versions of Siggon's spreadsheets.
JuliaAJA

Postby IdioC » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:16 am

Karbrino wrote:I would like to see the following word: Soviet, Republic, Federal, People, and Barmenian (it only have Barmenistan.)

I want to call Barmenistan as "Barmenian Soviet Republic" can you translate into this language if possible?

Jess has the ideas of the metaphorical constructs of the language, but some of the words he tried to invent new ones for do already exist. One of them, admittedly, was one I dug up from my message inbox and didn't add to 0.0.3.

-----

Soviet = "Zemosrne" if you mean a Soviet as in the worker's council itself. Use "Zemosrnék" for Soviet if you're going to use it in a name.

(Jess - "People's table" is a little vague but could probably used for something general, like a "committee" or somesuch and I might add it as that. Don't forget you can use verb stems - cut -jo or -mo off the ends - to make words too. :) )

Republic = Rekvakns (This will appear in the 0.1.0. list and is the "one" I mentioned earlier. It sounds hideous but suits the same origins of the other words)

Federal = This will differ by region. "Taghék", literally "of the fields", is general but a field is usually a region. Keep the name of the regions in your country and use that instead. Federalist would be "Taghé". In Pontesi, they have Satraps - "Srtràp" - so this would be "Srtràpék". In Barmenistan, they have "Prtastat" - part states - so this would become "Prtastaték" in your case.

People = "kai" (man, but also vernacular as in mankind) or "hiko".

If you're using it for an nationality, it tends to be kai, abbreviating as necessary such as "Jelbékai", "Pntékai" or "Brmékai" in your case, but "Brmékhiko" is also valid, but would be abbreviated to "Brmék'o" (it's also a lot easier to say this way)

Barmenistani = Brmék if you mean the genetive to describe something, Brmékai or Brmék'o as above for the people.

So, "Barmenistani Soviet Republic" would be "Brmék Zemosrnék Rekvakns".
What is that weird Jelbék language what I types with me computer buttons?

"Kae orzy sedrijohylakmek, megàmojylakjek, frjomimek. Kaerjoshu zri? Afrkmojad firja, Kae grzy Zykhiko ajozuo zri?"
IdioC

Postby JuliaAJA » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:53 am

IdioC wrote:Jess has the ideas of the metaphorical constructs of the language, but some of the words he tried to invent new ones for do already exist. One of them, admittedly, was one I dug up from my message inbox and didn't add to 0.0.3.

-----

Soviet = "Zemosrne" if you mean a Soviet as in the worker's council itself. Use "Zemosrnék" for Soviet if you're going to use it in a name.

(Jess - "People's table" is a little vague but could probably used for something general, like a "committee" or somesuch and I might add it as that. Don't forget you can use verb stems - cut -jo or -mo off the ends - to make words too. :) )

People's table is similar to council which is the meaning of Soviet, worker's council. I hadn't thought of verb stems.

IdioC wrote:People = "kai" (man, but also vernacular as in mankind) or "hiko".

If you're using it for an nationality, it tends to be kai, abbreviating as necessary such as "Jelbékai", "Pntékai" or "Brmékai" in your case, but "Brmékhiko" is also valid, but would be abbreviated to "Brmék'o" (it's also a lot easier to say this way)

At least I figured out Kai.
JuliaAJA

Postby Opakidabar » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:58 am

Is this Jelbic based on any real language?
Opakidabar

Postby IdioC » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:36 pm

Jessaveryja wrote:People's table is similar to council which is the meaning of Soviet, worker's council. I hadn't thought of verb stems.

True, but previous examples have just used "Srne" (table) as a discussion table, government or council. You're right, but it's not consistent with previous examples, though that's not your fault at all. I still think your construct would be perfect for a formalised discussion group; perhaps for a specially convened "committee", perhaps "jury" or a Supreme Court. I should work on some legal terms. :) Although I've had the afterthought of a circle of judges or an inquisition. It could suit so many meanings where the additional "in the name of the people" authoritative connotation puts it above a standard "Srne".

Jessaveryja wrote:At least I figured out Kai.

Heh, I wasn't correcting you, I was expanding as "kai" and "hiko" as suffixes make awkward words to pronounce without the abbreviations I mentioned. "Hiko" is hardly used and it should be balanced. The abbreviations are in the dictionary already, but I didn't want people to choke!

Opakidabar wrote:Is this Jelbic based on any real language?

Yes, bit it's a fusion of parts from several to prevent it looking like a pidgin dialect of one and as original as possible. Grammar is SOV, akin to East Asian languages and new words are constructs of Japanese and English words (originally, I used it as a learning aid to link the words but it's got a little out of hand since then), with the pre-established grammatical structure, written in Eastern European phonetics. Some words are metaphorical or a little abstract - such as Srne (table) for a discussion as discussions usually take place around one - while some words deviate, with a few extra letters added for "glue" in order to make an agreeable fusion that doesn't make it sound like a choking man next to a spitoon.

It is intentionally harsh sounding but the grammar is logical.

"Kae orzy sedrijohylakmek, megàmojylakjek, frjomimek. Kaerjoshu zri? Afrkmojad firja, Kae grzy Zykhiko ajozuo zri?"
IdioC

Postby JuliaAJA » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:19 am

IdioC wrote:
Jessaveryja wrote:People's table is similar to council which is the meaning of Soviet, worker's council. I hadn't thought of verb stems.

True, but previous examples have just used "Srne" (table) as a discussion table, government or council. You're right, but it's not consistent with previous examples, though that's not your fault at all. I still think your construct would be perfect for a formalised discussion group; perhaps for a specially convened "committee", perhaps "jury" or a Supreme Court. I should work on some legal terms. :) Although I've had the afterthought of a circle of judges or an inquisition. It could suit so many meanings where the additional "in the name of the people" authoritative connotation puts it above a standard "Srne".

Okay.

IdioC wrote:
Jessaveryja wrote:At least I figured out Kai.

Heh, I wasn't correcting you, I was expanding as "kai" and "hiko" as suffixes make awkward words to pronounce without the abbreviations I mentioned. "Hiko" is hardly used and it should be balanced. The abbreviations are in the dictionary already, but I didn't want people to choke!

I know. Okay.
JuliaAJA

Postby IdioC » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:03 pm

You're certainly picked it up better than most though. :)

IdioC

Postby JuliaAJA » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:59 am

Thank you. :)
JuliaAJA

PreviousNext

Return to General