Jelbic Languages Dictionary - Updates / Requests

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: Jelbic Languages Dictionary - Updates / Requests

Postby Mr.Yankees » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:16 am

Cold wrote:Changing governments is one thing, but changing culture is a whole other thing. It doesn't make sense, it's detrimental to any attempt at piecing together a history of the nation, and it prevents any unique cultures in Particracy from flourishing without a full guard of devoted parties. Whatever happened to the Cultural Protection thing? To be honest, this seems like a perfect time to enact it.

Cultures do change over time. Now...you are confusing history with culture. While they do connect, they are not the same thing. In fact, the history of a country can be that of struggle and constant political change. And a culture would reflect that. But let's leave the technicalities aside. In my opinion (and this is just my opinion), if you cannot hold on to power (at least 1/3 of the legislature---through coalitions and such), you are kind of screwed. Other people deserve to implement their ideas as well. Don't you think that is fair to them?

I was never in favor nor opposed to the cultural protection plan. It may be a good idea (yes, I know you make a good point about piecing a cultural history in Particracy) but it may not be so as well given what I just explained above. But I don't think that ever reached the implementation phase (moderators, please correct me if I am mistaken on this).

To be honest, changing the official language, sport, and other minor things do not really affect the previously role played culture. In fact, I would venture to say that such previously role played culture cannot be ignored and I encourage you guys to not do so. Again, you can change those back once you regain power. ;)
Fighting for the people, supported by the people.
Mr.Yankees

Postby Darvian » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:46 am

Cold wrote:Changing governments is one thing, but changing culture is a whole other thing. It doesn't make sense, it's detrimental to any attempt at piecing together a history of the nation, and it prevents any unique cultures in Particracy from flourishing without a full guard of devoted parties. Whatever happened to the Cultural Protection thing? To be honest, this seems like a perfect time to enact it.

We've still got it but, nearly everyone said it was shit and too much moderator intrusion; which it wasn't but, I digress to the stated public opinions when it was presented. It did have a surprising majority in favor via votes but, like most all things on the forums anyone who can put their fingers on a keyboard beat the life out of the idea for all sorts of ill-informed reasons. Hell the original author Adjective came out against it only to later say he favored it. I said then and I'll say it again, it was an opt-in option for nations. If I'm not mistaken, I very well could be, you were also opposed to it Cold as was many others posting in this thread. If the "community" is now having an about face on their feelings on the C.A. I would be more than happy to re-post the draft again and take up another snap-vote to weigh it out again.

I'm not opposed to implementing it. As said, it's an opt-in set of protections for the very issues being tossed around in here and has crap all to do with moderators having say over a nation. Another more recent issue that has taken place behind the scenes is a new 'directive' if you will about nation name changes that is somewhat in line with the Cultural Protocols. I forget which nation or what case it was but, I went direct to Wouter about it as afterall, the rules state his word is final, and there were some disagreements on when moderation should say no to a nation name change. I realize this hasn't been articulated in public yet and I don't mean to open a can of worms about it but, Wouter's opinion on nation name changes was that they should not deviate from the original names without a 'considerable' amount of RP to substantiate such a change. To be clear I'm not talking about the various words selected to represent a nation I'm talking strictly about the nations name, for example I could not change the name of Zardugal to say Dugal; there has been no RP whatsoever to justify this sort of name change. This is a small step to preserving culture and I know George, Jay and myself are aware of this opinion of Wouters and have stuck by it.

Don't shoot the messenger...

Now as far as the Cultural Protocols are concerned; no it was never implemented Yanks for some of if not all of the reasons previously mentioned. However, I will go ahead and re-post it in another thread and let everyone have another whack at it. Being as it hasn't been implemented, it can change. I've never said I would refuse to alter it as presented, I didn't come up with the bloody thing so I have zero invested interest in seeing it come into effect as it is nor does George or Jay to my knowledge. It was conceived in the spirit in which I'm seeing a lot of ill content and have seen it before about intentional cultural crashing. Personally, I see no allure to culture crashing a nation. It seems to me this is a tactic reserved for people with a hard-on for a player or players, we all have our cases we can cite here. It seems I'm not alone in this view and if you share it, you should do your part to contribute to the C.P. versus just pointing out it's failures. If you all want some form of opt-in protection from the things discussed, it's in your hands at this point...
Darvian

Postby Freelancer » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:36 am

I'm not really asking for mod intervention since I think this will pass after time, (Hopefully) but I just want to express my dissatisfaction that this type of behavior still existed. I'm not oppose to invasion or changing of culture or anything, but if it is going to happen then it should have some RP to cover them... not just some random language or sport because peoples feels like having them.

And as for Deltaria, I only know the Deltaria we have all come to love. (or hated in some case) :P
Freelancer

Postby Darvian » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:11 am

Freelancer wrote:I'm not really asking for mod intervention since I think this will pass after time, (Hopefully) but I just want to express my dissatisfaction that this type of behavior still existed. I'm not oppose to invasion or changing of culture or anything, but if it is going to happen then it should have some RP to cover them... not just some random language or sport because peoples feels like having them.

Just to be clear, I wasn't really offering it. I was prompted by the mention of the C.P. to make a few comments which were not directed at anyone in specific-believe it or not.
Darvian

Postby Freelancer » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:06 pm

Darvian wrote:
Freelancer wrote:I'm not really asking for mod intervention since I think this will pass after time, (Hopefully) but I just want to express my dissatisfaction that this type of behavior still existed. I'm not oppose to invasion or changing of culture or anything, but if it is going to happen then it should have some RP to cover them... not just some random language or sport because peoples feels like having them.

Just to be clear, I wasn't really offering it. I was prompted by the mention of the C.P. to make a few comments which were not directed at anyone in specific-believe it or not.

I know you didn't offer it. It's quite clear from the beginning. :P
Freelancer

Postby JuliaAJA » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:50 am

The Emirate of Arakhim and Kathuristan is not participating in the development of a Standardised language and are leaving the matter of language to the schools themselves. Kathuristan is teaching Kathuri which is rarely written down but resembles Hebrew and Majatran in pronunciation. Arakhim is teaching a formerly standard mixture of Brmék and any language they please. The reason for Modern Standard Barmék is that many words of Brmék have been replaced by other languages and many words have been lost. Modern Standard Barmék will include many slang terms and will try to combine traditional words to create formal words; when the formal words are too long for casual use an alternative will be created.
Newly created words in Modern Standard Barmék:
Thel/-thel: Hill; derived from Hebrew; formerly a generally Northern word until adoption by government
Hydwastaghe: Lake; "water fields"; traditional
Yagamta: Lake; modern; derived from Hebrew
Yagam: Sea; modern; derived from Hebrew
Kalope: Kalopia; a very basic development of the word, Kalopia; part of a trend of simplifying place names
Kjkegmojekbjek: Book; "printed thing"; traditional
Sethir: Book; modern; derived in the North from Hebrew
Buke: Book; modern; derived in the South from Vanukuese and Yiddish
Kakríjomekbjek: Letter; "written thing"; traditional
Mechtav: Letter; modern; derived in the North from Hebrew
Breev: Letter; modern; derived in the South from Vanukuese and Yiddish
Uveajo: To bake; modern; derived from Hebrew
Uveajhiko/Uveajkai/Uveajmai: Baker; modern; derived from Hebrew and Brmék
Ringo: Ring; modern; derived from Vanukuese
Kanos/Kanoji: sexually arousing; modern; city name with unknown etymology; typically used with proper endings
Joined Particracy on: December 18, 2008
Click here for my versions of Siggon's spreadsheets.
JuliaAJA

Postby IdioC » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:52 pm

...and just for the record: Version 0.1.1 has been uploaded as a tidied-up version of 0.1.0.

http://www.idioc.co.uk/Jelbic-0.1.1.txt

UTF-8 version at http://www.idioc.co.uk/Jelbic-0.1.1%20UTF8.txt
What is that weird Jelbék language what I types with me computer buttons?

"Kae orzy sedrijohylakmek, megàmojylakjek, frjomimek. Kaerjoshu zri? Afrkmojad firja, Kae grzy Zykhiko ajozuo zri?"
IdioC

Postby IdioC » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:45 pm

From writing a new anthem for Vanuku I've realised a lot of things are missing in the language and needed new words. Therefore, here comes...

v. 0.1.2/The "Vanuku Anthem/How-The-Hell-Did-I-Miss-That?" Update.:

Permanent Link for Latest Version (This then any future updates; Never update another link again!)
ANSI (ISO-8859-15):http://www.idioc.co.uk/Jelbic.txt
UTF-8 http://www.idioc.co.uk/JelbicUTF8.txt

Perpetual Link for This Version
ANSI (ISO-8859-15):http://www.idioc.co.uk/Jelbic-0.1.2.txt
UTF-8 http://www.idioc.co.uk/Jelbic-0.1.2%20UTF8.txt

Changes:
-Verbs:
*Grammar Expansion: Conditional form added (equivalent of using "if (this happens)...")
*6 New -jo class verbs:
Kydnjo = to deny (right); Lowàsjo = to lose (object); Tachásjo = to stand (up; make a*); Dényamtokjo = to dare; Shikjo (only in transitional form (shikjozuo)) = to know; Brmokjo = to bring (object)
*4 New -mo class verbs:
Krmo = to come; Hidnmo = to deny (fact; rumour); Wafmo = to wave (hand; object); Tokmo = to prey (upon)
*-mo class now actually sorted alphabetically

-Time:
*Words derived for "Future" and "Past"
*Suffix system for future/past relative time/time period

-Nouns:
*Early Chemical Elements/Metals section (24 words)
*Further Nature words (11 words)
*Weather words (11 words)
*Value concepts (~10 words and derived constructions)
*Dofkai/Dofmai (fool)

-Prepositions
*Above/Below/Beside/Between/In(side)/Out(side)
What is that weird Jelbék language what I types with me computer buttons?

"Kae orzy sedrijohylakmek, megàmojylakjek, frjomimek. Kaerjoshu zri? Afrkmojad firja, Kae grzy Zykhiko ajozuo zri?"
IdioC

Postby TheNewGuy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:17 pm

<3
I once was full of promise. Oops.
The artist formerly known as Zanz, Troll King, Scourge of Dynastia and Confidant of IdioC
All posts are subject to the intense anal-retentive scrutiny of concerned citizens of the community

Particracy Realism Project
TheNewGuy

Postby Polites » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:13 pm

TheNewGuy wrote:<3

QFE
Polites

PreviousNext

Return to General