Jelbic Languages Dictionary - Updates / Requests

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: Jelbic Languages Dictionary - Updates / Requests

Postby Polites » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:22 am

IdioC wrote:
Polites wrote:I was also thinking of creating a page on Jelbic alphabets, grouping together all the writing systems for the Jelbic languages and maybe introduce a few other alphabets used in more specific contexts or communities (like a Hebrew alphabet for Jelbic-speaking Yeudis, a Syriac alphabet for Hosian Barmenians, and maybe the Old Turkic runes).

Sounds good. I actually made a font for the unusual Jelbék glyphs I made ages ago. The file is probably hidden somewhere on an old hard disc...

At this rate I'll have to kick-start the Jelbictionary wiki idea I came up with in the other thread (I'll get the grammar guide done before I touch this though). The community has clearly reached the stage where the amount of detail it has generated would benefit from some clear compiling and organisation, so that future developments are easier to group and find.

Edit: ...and it would help if I didn't fudge up the link to the Grammar Tutorial above. Whoops.

Well, the first draft of the Jelbictionary is done. So far it only includes the Jelbek and Brmek dictionaries without the IdioC-created core vocabulary. I'll try to add that one in soon.
Polites

Postby IdioC » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:55 pm

Just to say, nicely done.

I am, however, not the final authority on Jelbic words (just Old High Jelbic from over an in-game Millennium ago). People always add words to languages and each new branch lies under the authority of their nation's own cultural guru.

Grammar I can perhaps advise on as and when, but as everything has evolved well beyond me -- which is a good and realistic thing -- it's up to modern usage because languages keep what are used, simplify where possible and lose the obscure or rarely used. I'm not going to judge the Jelbic Skypers as the equivalent of Chaucer's great-great-great-great-great grandfather!
What is that weird Jelbék language what I types with me computer buttons?

"Kae orzy sedrijohylakmek, megàmojylakjek, frjomimek. Kaerjoshu zri? Afrkmojad firja, Kae grzy Zykhiko ajozuo zri?"
IdioC

Postby Polites » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:33 pm

Ok, fair enough, made the note more specific to refer to OHJ.

I added the original core vocabulary; apparently Jelbic has a total of 678 lemmas so far, making it a quite usable language.

And, as promised, made a page on the Jelbic alphabets.
Polites

Postby Polites » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:10 am

Here's a crazy idea I came up with: since there's mention of a "Classical Brmek" language as one of the official languages of the Ahmadi Caliphate, what if we were to actually create that language and make it the classical predecessor of Old High Jelbic? I was thinking we could slightly Turkify the current Jelbic grammar (so as to establish it as a link between the current Japanese-derived grammar and the supposed relationship with Turkic and Finno-Ugric languages IG) and give it a more Semitic/Arabic phonology (to justify the use of the Arabic script in Barmenia). I don't think it should be a full-fledged language, but something we could occasionally use for mottos and such (like a Jelbic Latin). I'd be willing to work on this once I get more time, but I'm curious to see if there's any support for such an idea.
Polites

Postby Polites » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:00 pm

I went ahead and made an article on Classical Brmek. Still needs some work and polishing, especially the phonology and pronouns, but it's fairly complete. The grammar is basically the same for verbs, except for the addition of personal endings, and I added case endings for nouns. So does this look ok?
Polites

Postby Polites » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:58 pm

I seem to get very easily carried away with these Jelbic things. For no particular reason I present Jelbido, a mixed language from Zardugal, basically Jelbic with an Esperanto grammar.
Polites

Previous

Return to General