Help with Super majority

General discussions about the Particracy web game.

Help with Super majority

Postby Mr.Yankees » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:32 am

I need some advice from you guys on a matter. I just submitted a bill changing the super majority vote from 2/3 to 3/4. This is only for RP purposes. Treaties will still be valid if ratified by a 2/3 majority. Now, if you think of a regular real life government, they are allowed to change their own super majority clauses as they like if they have the votes for it.

I control 100% of the legislature, so anything that I submit will pass. That's obvious. Now, I want to be fair here and avoid any hard feelings between the other players in Lodamun and myself.

So, after all that rant, my questions are: Is it possible for me to change the super majority vote for Constitutional Amendments? If so, will other players have to abide by it whether they like it or not?

Here's my wonderful piece of legislation: http://classic.particracy.net/viewbill. ... lid=246738

Please, keep it civil. Thanks in advance guys!
Fighting for the people, supported by the people.
Mr.Yankees

Re: Help with Super majority

Postby Cold » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:53 am

Here's my suggestion:

If you pass your bill, all administrative changes and 2/3rd majority votes outside of the game mechanics should require 3/4ths. However, if 2/3rds of the legislative assembly decides to overturn your law, these votes should return to normal.
Cold

Postby Mr.Yankees » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:25 pm

Cold wrote:Here's my suggestion:

If you pass your bill, all administrative changes and 2/3rd majority votes outside of the game mechanics should require 3/4ths. However, if 2/3rds of the legislative assembly decides to overturn your law, these votes should return to normal.

If I change it to 3/4ths, why would they be able to overturn it with 2/3. The whole point of the amendment is to change the super majority vote to 3/4ths, effectively eliminating the 2/3 majority. I made sure not to leave any loopholes in it. I really don't understand why you think they could overturn it with 2/3.
Mr.Yankees

Postby GreekIdiot » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:39 pm

That's impossible. From the fact that you may only pass constitutional changes according to game mechanics with a 2/3rds voting favor, you may presume that it goes the same for the described case.

Even if you say and successfully pass legislation that clearly states the requirement of a 100% force to pass a constitutional change, still you have to abide by the game mechanics and the international rules, such as the nation name change, which requires a 2/3rds. This is a game flaw, it seems.

But anyway, perhaps changing it to 3/4ths for nation name changes can satisfy your greed for absolute power, but still, this motion can be repealed by a 2/3rds, since it passed with the same support. I just wonder, since you have an absolute rule of the legislative assembly can't the rule of 2/3rds be overridden and instead be replaced with a 100% requirement to repeal resolutions that passed with the same 100% support?

I dunno if I'm clear, though. :P
GreekIdiot

Postby Mr.Yankees » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:11 pm

The point I was trying to make before is that the legislation is retroactive, meaning that it includes language clearly stating that to repeal it, it must receive a 3/4 majority because, if it passes, that would be the Constitutional majority.

It is my understanding that nations make their own RP laws. That's exactly what I am doing here. Treaties will still pass with a 2/3 majority though they can't go against a Constitutional amendment as states by the bill I created. The fact of the matter is that I have seen countries with very weird RP laws. Changing a number should not be a big deal. Also, the Constitution allows Constitutional Amendments and all legislatures have the power to change their Constitution.

Honestly, I don't see how this would not be allowed. I guess that's the reason I created the thread: to get enlightened. :)
Mr.Yankees

Postby Mr.Yankees » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:12 pm

And George, I already have absolute power. I have had it for quite some time. I am not looking for absolute power, I already have it.
Mr.Yankees

Postby GreekIdiot » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:16 pm

You greedy NATO leader.... :P

Anyway, treaties will pass, yes, so will nation name changes and so will constitutional amendments with 2/3rds. As I said earlier, this seems to be a game flaw. In this case, the RP law coincides and conflicts with the actual game laws.
GreekIdiot

Postby Mr.Yankees » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:27 pm

George S.K wrote:You greedy NATO leader.... :P

Anyway, treaties will pass, yes, so will nation name changes and so will constitutional amendments with 2/3rds. As I said earlier, this seems to be a game flaw. In this case, the RP law coincides and conflicts with the actual game laws.

They better fix those conflicts fast or I will have to flex my muscles. :D

I will probably need a mod to look up all the laws and see where this bill stands. To be honest, 3/4 or 2/3 do not matter to me much since I have both and more. I think I just like the challenge, you know.
Mr.Yankees

Postby GreekIdiot » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:32 pm

You high on legal shit? :P

Seriously, I am obsessed with bureaucracy and all that spiral web of vagueness and lack of meaning, but there is no point in that bill of yours. And the players have refused to recognize it. That also happens, but you may declare them illegal and assassinate or arrest their leaders. But still, consent is required to get some meaning out of this game. Anyway, the point is, try confusing the legislation with something else. Sticking with the 2/3rds can still turn out to be really beneficial....
GreekIdiot

Postby Mr.Yankees » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:41 pm

George S.K wrote:You high on legal shit? :P

Seriously, I am obsessed with bureaucracy and all that spiral web of vagueness and lack of meaning, but there is no point in that bill of yours. And the players have refused to recognize it. That also happens, but you may declare them illegal and assassinate or arrest their leaders. But still, consent is required to get some meaning out of this game. Anyway, the point is, try confusing the legislation with something else. Sticking with the 2/3rds can still turn out to be really beneficial....

Yeah, I know consent is important but sometimes people don't consent simply because they don't want to. I am going to let it go for the sake of the other players' well being. I can be very persistent at times but I have no time to "debate" with them and try to convince them to agree to the bill.

I'll just vote no to it and that will solve the problems.
Mr.Yankees

Next

Return to General Discussion