Cultural Creation Thread - Update here!

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: Cultural Creation Thread - Update here!

Postby Opakidabar » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:42 pm

Likatonia - slight move from Latvian dominated Balts into Lithuanian dominated Balts.
Any objection?
Opakidabar

Postby 5enator » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:21 am

The Vorona, previously Deltaria Nova, has been seemingly-abandoned by those who helped build up the Akigan culture (old English). Colonised in the early 24th century (2300 - 2310) by Deltaria, Vorona's wiki page goes back to the 26th century max, and the latest bill regarding cultural protocols originates from the 3550s -- almost 100 years ago. It stresses that everything be written in old English, but now that those parties are inactive (for quite some time now, too) and have been replaced by parties that totally ignore cultural protocols and the RP-side to particracy, it is definitely time to change that.

I've tried to keep the reasoning as justifiable and realistic as possible, keeping in mind the wiki page that contains important information about Voronan history. I can't retcon all the work there, of course! Vorona was meant to be a permanently-third-world country due to its demographics and history, although in recent years (or since the birth of my party, as the current GDP is still $609 per capita), there has been a surge of pro-business ideals. As the classes got more educated thanks to systems provided by the private sector (and subsidised for the poorer classes by the state), the Akigan language developed to form Neo Akigan, or Alician. This is, essentially, British English.

Although Akigan is still widely spoken in the more remote, agricultural regions, Alician has established a home ground in business, formal language and popular suburbia. The Anglo-Saxonian culture that preceded Alician (modern English) culture is on the way out, facing possible extinction in the 41st century. For now, however, parties and names can, and should, use modern British English nomenclature and terminology.
[ 8.88 | -6.15 ]
~Libertarian Minarchist~
~Voronan Libertarian Party~
5enator

Postby Polites » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:39 pm

5enator wrote:The Vorona, previously Deltaria Nova, has been seemingly-abandoned by those who helped build up the Akigan culture (old English). Colonised in the early 24th century (2300 - 2310) by Deltaria, Vorona's wiki page goes back to the 26th century max, and the latest bill regarding cultural protocols originates from the 3550s -- almost 100 years ago. It stresses that everything be written in old English, but now that those parties are inactive (for quite some time now, too) and have been replaced by parties that totally ignore cultural protocols and the RP-side to particracy, it is definitely time to change that.

I've tried to keep the reasoning as justifiable and realistic as possible, keeping in mind the wiki page that contains important information about Voronan history. I can't retcon all the work there, of course! Vorona was meant to be a permanently-third-world country due to its demographics and history, although in recent years (or since the birth of my party, as the current GDP is still $609 per capita), there has been a surge of pro-business ideals. As the classes got more educated thanks to systems provided by the private sector (and subsidised for the poorer classes by the state), the Akigan language developed to form Neo Akigan, or Alician. This is, essentially, British English.

Although Akigan is still widely spoken in the more remote, agricultural regions, Alician has established a home ground in business, formal language and popular suburbia. The Anglo-Saxonian culture that preceded Alician (modern English) culture is on the way out, facing possible extinction in the 41st century. For now, however, parties and names can, and should, use modern British English nomenclature and terminology.

I strongly encourage you to keep the Old English language and culture of Vorona/Deltaria Nova, and not just because I wrote the first version of the Cultural Protocol. The Akigan culture of Vorona makes it unique in Terra, and replacing that with an Anglophone culture would eliminate the nation's distinct character. There are already a number of nations that use Luthori (English) as their language, but only one nation that uses Old English (if you don't count the minority status of Akigan in Deltaria). Also, Cultural Protocols do not make the translation of party names into the local language mandatory; if you want, I can help with translating things into Old English.
Polites

Postby 5enator » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:27 pm

I understand your concern in keeping the Akigan culture alive in the Vorona-- and share it, to an extent-- but it has to be replaced by a more modern and simplistic one. Similar to Newspeak in Nineteen Eighty-Four but less cynical, the English culture and language will be used by politicians and in formal language, whilst Akigan remains the language of the people. It has been too long since parties like yourself were in power, and for a good 1000 years history has stopped being recorded. The Vorona has been neglected and governed by parties that do not follow any cultural protocols whatsoever. Akigan also represents the poorer past of the Vorona, and a new language and culture is required for advancing the Vorona into a new age.

While Luthori may not meet any adequate realism levels needed to pursue such a linguistic colonisation, an Ango-Saxon-to-English change would be most sensical. Or, as we are still Deltaria Nova, what language do the Deltarians speak?
[ 8.88 | -6.15 ]
~Libertarian Minarchist~
5enator

Postby 5enator » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:44 pm

The most popular Deltarian language seems to be Slovak and Czech, and as such wish to present to you Esperanto as a language for Vorona. It contains strong Latin and Central European roots-- take a look at it, if you aren't familiar with it-- and is easily understandable by all culturally-Occidentals, ergo most of particracy. At first glance Esperanto seems more to do with a slavic culture (many j's, k's and a tendency to omit vowels), yet sounds more Latin when spoken aloud. Esperanto with a Slavic accent may be our compromise, no?

EDIT: Esperanto, Slavic Accent, Omit O's at the end of words.
[ 8.88 | -6.15 ]
~Libertarian Minarchist~
5enator

Postby Polites » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:03 pm

5enator wrote:The most popular Deltarian language seems to be Slovak and Czech, and as such wish to present to you Esperanto as a language for Vorona. It contains strong Latin and Central European roots-- take a look at it, if you aren't familiar with it-- and is easily understandable by all culturally-Occidentals, ergo most of particracy. At first glance Esperanto seems more to do with a slavic culture (many j's, k's and a tendency to omit vowels), yet sounds more Latin when spoken aloud. Esperanto with a Slavic accent may be our compromise, no?

EDIT: Esperanto, Slavic Accent, Omit O's at the end of words.

Well, Esperanto is already the language of Zardugal and Cobura. If you want more complete information on the languages in Particracy, there's this article.

I understand the concern behind the use of an obscure language that few people are willing to look into, but as I said before, it's not mandatory to actually use any language other than English. There's a difference between the official culture of a nation (as determined by the cultural protocols) and the official language of the game, i.e. English. Now, the fact that the Voronan wiki has not been updated in centuries does not mean that it's been a long time since Akigan was used as a language; the last Akigan party was around about 70 years ago (last September, basically). So while it is perfectly possible to role-play Vorona as a more modernized and democratic nation, that does not mean that the languages in place should be discarded; Daralian (Slovak) remains the language of the upper class in Vorona, so you could use that as your language of choice if you want.
Polites

Postby 5enator » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:22 pm

Rodshya, recognised as a minority language in Deltaria Nova/the Vorona (Oct 2013). I'd prefer using a Latin alphabet for it, but we'll see. As this is already a language found present in the Vorona I am confident in it meeting whatever realism standards desired.
[ 8.88 | -6.15 ]
~Libertarian Minarchist~
5enator

Postby Opakidabar » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:32 pm

A question. I remember long, long time ago somewhere in Terra there was a culture based on Aztecs. Does anyone know where, how and something more?
Opakidabar

Postby Zongxian » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:35 pm

Opakidabar wrote:A question. I remember long, long time ago somewhere in Terra there was a culture based on Aztecs. Does anyone know where, how and something more?

I think the Hulstrian colonies around the central sea in Dovani were given Aztec/Mayan/Incan-type cultures. (Istapalajtokayotl, Suyu Llaqta, Cifutingan, and South Utari Mosir) I don't think anything was really ever done with the cultures though.

Also, I believe the Orincos in Sekowo are supposed to be Mayan-based.
Zongxian

Postby Polites » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:02 am

Zongxian wrote:
Opakidabar wrote:A question. I remember long, long time ago somewhere in Terra there was a culture based on Aztecs. Does anyone know where, how and something more?

I think the Hulstrian colonies around the central sea in Dovani were given Aztec/Mayan/Incan-type cultures. (Istapalajtokayotl, Suyu Llaqta, Cifutingan, and South Utari Mosir) I don't think anything was really ever done with the cultures though.

Also, I believe the Orincos in Sekowo are supposed to be Mayan-based.

Istapalajtokayotl has an Aztec culture, while Suyu Llaqta is Inca, Cifutingan is Aboriginal Taiwanese, and Utari Mosir is Ainu, as established here. And yes, the Orincos are largely Mayan.
Polites

PreviousNext

Return to General