Operation: Particracy Wiki (Questions and Discussion)

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: Questions concerning the Wiki - Pose 'em in 'ere!

Postby Polites » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:06 am

I've been toying with this idea for a while and I think it would improve accessibility for everyone, especially new players. What if, whenever a nation change request is completed by Moderation they were to provide a redirect from the new nation name to the nation's main article? The nation page has that little [?] next to the name that redirects to the wiki, but in many cases there is no article for the current name. I would do that if I had the time, but it would be hard for me to keep track of all new nation names.

Also, leaving a redirect is easy, all you have to do is create an article that contains the following:

#Redirect [[Article you want to redirect to]]
Polites

Postby Aquinas » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:36 am

I really like that idea. Anything that can improve the presentation of the game and make the documentation more accessible has got to be a good thing.

Longer term, would the ideal solution would be for the [?] hyperlinks next to the nation name to always link to the same page, regardless of whether the nation name changes? So, for example, Kalistan's hyperlink would always link to http://www.particracy.wikia.com/Kalistan and Dankuk's hyperlink would always link to http://www.particracy.wikia.com/Dankuk ?

Not that I can promise anything here, mind you...
Aquinas

Postby Polites » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:55 am

Aquinas wrote:I really like that idea. Anything that can improve the presentation of the game and make the documentation more accessible has got to be a good thing.

Longer term, would the ideal solution would be for the [?] hyperlinks next to the nation name to always link to the same page, regardless of whether the nation name changes? So, for example, Kalistan's hyperlink would always link to http://www.particracy.wikia.com/Kalistan and Dankuk's hyperlink would always link to http://www.particracy.wikia.com/Dankuk ?

Not that I can promise anything here, mind you...

If I get the time, I will update the current links. The additional suggestion I have is that Moderation update them whenever a name change request is completed, so that the links remain up to date.
Polites

Postby IdioC » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:00 pm

Polites wrote:If I get the time, I will update the current links. The additional suggestion I have is that Moderation update them whenever a name change request is completed, so that the links remain up to date.

Easier idea:
*Use the nation number to have the {?} link point to "Nation01"-"Nation55"(I think that's the biggest) pages on the wiki
*Set each as a redirect in the manner previously described.
*If Nation name changes, update wiki redirect rather than modifying the game code (much less fuss)
*Easy for Wouterman to generate as it just involves a hard hyperlink format with the passed id number appended on each page, which is used to load every page on that nation from the database anyway AND futureproof if more countries are ever added.
What is that weird Jelbék language what I types with me computer buttons?

"Kae orzy sedrijohylakmek, megàmojylakjek, frjomimek. Kaerjoshu zri? Afrkmojad firja, Kae grzy Zykhiko ajozuo zri?"
IdioC

Postby TheNewGuy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:04 pm

IdioC wrote:futureproof if more countries are ever added.

I thought you were supposed to be the Cynic?
I once was full of promise. Oops.
The artist formerly known as Zanz, Troll King, Scourge of Dynastia and Confidant of IdioC
All posts are subject to the intense anal-retentive scrutiny of concerned citizens of the community

Particracy Realism Project
TheNewGuy

Postby Aquinas » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:34 pm

IdioC wrote:
Polites wrote:If I get the time, I will update the current links. The additional suggestion I have is that Moderation update them whenever a name change request is completed, so that the links remain up to date.

Easier idea:
*Use the nation number to have the {?} link point to "Nation01"-"Nation55"(I think that's the biggest) pages on the wiki
*Set each as a redirect in the manner previously described.
*If Nation name changes, update wiki redirect rather than modifying the game code (much less fuss)
*Easy for Wouterman to generate as it just involves a hard hyperlink format with the passed id number appended on each page, which is used to load every page on that nation from the database anyway AND futureproof if more countries are ever added.

I like this idea and will look into it.
Aquinas

Postby IdioC » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:51 pm

TheNewGuy wrote:

A fair criticism, but as Wouter has got far more technical things to work within the game engine, I have little reason to have misgivings about the code or his intentions.

My cynicism, however, is still very subtly evident in the use of if rather than when: if I'd used when, I'd have merely been sarcastic. ;)
What is that weird Jelbék language what I types with me computer buttons?

"Kae orzy sedrijohylakmek, megàmojylakjek, frjomimek. Kaerjoshu zri? Afrkmojad firja, Kae grzy Zykhiko ajozuo zri?"
IdioC

Postby TheNewGuy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:35 pm

IdioC wrote:
TheNewGuy wrote:

A fair criticism, but as Wouter has got far more technical things to work within the game engine, I have little reason to have misgivings about the code or his intentions.

My cynicism, however, is still very subtly evident in the use of if rather than when: if I'd used when, I'd have merely been sarcastic. ;)

I think you ought to be stripped of your title. You're seeming far too optimistic these days, a return to playing the game? Unthinkable!

Just ask Aquinas, I'm much more cynical than you in the recent past, I'm going to take that title!
I once was full of promise. Oops.
The artist formerly known as Zanz, Troll King, Scourge of Dynastia and Confidant of IdioC
All posts are subject to the intense anal-retentive scrutiny of concerned citizens of the community

Particracy Realism Project
TheNewGuy

Postby Polites » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:28 pm

Anyway, the nation links are now up to date, so until Wouter changes anything regarding nation name hyperlinks, I suggest Moderation keep them updated when they rename nations IG.
Polites

Postby knizar » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:34 am

I would like to contribute to this article ---->http://particracy.wikia.com/wiki/Orang_Asli.

However, before I start, I need to know whether the Orang Asli is a subgroup of the Asli which are based on RL black Africans or are they based on the RL Minangkabaus which is a subgroup of the RL Indonesians. I am stating this fact as most of the content of the article on Orang Asli is lifted from the Wikipedia article "Minangkabau People".

I also would like to play a country based on RL South East Asia namely Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines and Thailand. However I have not found any yet. Can someone point me to the country I am looking for?

I also think that some cultures are over represented. However, I understand that the cultures are continually evolving due to the changes players make. Seeing "Malivia : Indonesian" and Tukarali : Asian with Portuguese influence" in here ---> viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6365 gave me false hope.

I am wiling to play in the country which still gives me a tiny bit of hope though.
knizar

PreviousNext

Return to General