Partyicracy Wiki directors?

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: Partyicracy Wiki directors?

Postby MapleUnity » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:57 pm

Do we have a list of which cultures each nation has? Because that would be useful to simply check and see what each nation's 'original' culture was, and if a new player joins he could see what culture the nation he is joining is
The Great Legacy of the Fournes Lives On in Likatonia
Likatonijas Republika -- Republic of Likatonia
MapleUnity

Postby Farsun » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:59 pm

MapleUnity wrote:Do we have a list of which cultures each nation has? Because that would be useful to simply check and see what each nation's 'original' culture was, and if a new player joins he could see what culture the nation he is joining is

I've started compiling one, it's a lot of work.
Dorvish Social Nationalist Party
OOC Administrator of the Artanian Union & Bureaucrat of the Particracy Wiki
Farsun

Postby Amazeroth » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:15 pm

Farsun wrote:
UniSocAll wrote:I really doubt that the Cultural Protocols would advocate permanent culture locking.

Well, that's the bill I'm attempting to pass in Dorvik, which bars any significant culture shift.

You do realise that this is not possible with a bill?

UniSocAll wrote:I don't. There are some pretty creative ways to (completely) change the culture of a nation over a period of 500 years. Saying that that can never happen is essentially locking up the culture just cause a few players think that is must remain jewish for ever. Eventually, if all nation gets a culture, every country could be locked up for the same reason. Luthori could be locked up under the same reason to always remain 'british' and a monarchy. Davostan idem being a satanic empire.

The game is suppose to change with time, and the culture too. 500 years is a reasonable period, where changes can, and will, happen.

I completely agree. There never needed to be any Romanian culture there 500 years ago, a Romanian culture could easily form in 500 years.

Eryk wrote:That's ridiculous. A culture can change, however its basic building block which was its original culture always remains there - whether we like it or not.

No it doesn't. The original culture (or the people having it) can be exterminated, driven out, or just assimilated by the new one.

First off, we don't even have a Romanian country close to Beiteynu. Second, the completely different (both have no relation what so ever) cultures never had any contact - not even in Terra. Unless we suddenly have some massive immigration from New Endralon to Beiteynu for no apparent reason - there is no justification for a Romanian Beiteyni. Even if that were to happen, they would probably have to be Romanian Jews which integrated themselves and their culture with the culture of the Hebrews. Therefore, there is no reason for the previous culture of a nation to disappear completely, it never happens even.

The exact way how it happened must be left up to the parties actually running the nation, though, and not some players who dislike their idea of a perfect Terra disturbed. You're apparently thinking of Terra as another world like ours, which it just isn't. There is no need for a Romanian ethnicity, it can be any ethnicity that speeks something that derived from Latin. Over 500 years, you don't need sudden immigration, you need steady immigration, wealth shifting, old customs being forgotten, a new elite with another language, and the subsequent loss of the old language to go with it. Main religions change a hell of a lot quicker than that.
The point is, as long as I'm creative enough, I can think of a hundred ways of making a good cultural change without having to rewrite history. If I'm really good, I'll manage to do it in a more elaborated way, with just some key changes, making a mixture of cultures, or, what happens far too less in this game, making up a culture that doesn't actually have any clear real world prototype. However, this should be up to the nation's players, and nobody apart from them.
Eines Tages traf Karl der Große eine alte Frau.
"Guten Tag, alte Frau", sagte Karl der Große.
"Guten Tag, Karl der Große", sagte die alte Frau.
Solche und ähnliche Geschichten erzählt man sich über die Leutseligkeit Karls des Großen.
Amazeroth

Postby Farsun » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:24 pm

Amazeroth wrote:
Farsun wrote:
UniSocAll wrote:I really doubt that the Cultural Protocols would advocate permanent culture locking.

Well, that's the bill I'm attempting to pass in Dorvik, which bars any significant culture shift.

You do realise that this is not possible with a bill?

Yes, according the cultural protocols that should be out today, a nation can apply for cultural protection with a 2/3 vote.
Farsun

Postby UniSocAll » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:28 pm

Yes, protection under the Cultural Protocols, not under a bill made in a country. The CP will not protect your nation from changes, as it (as I understand it) will still allow culture shifts if done gradually, and realistically. This can still mean that in 500 years, we possibly could see a Romanian Beyteinu, or a half Kuwaiti, half Peruvian Dorvik.
[IAN] International Airwaves Network [IAN]
Like Music To Your Ears | Connecting Communities

Alliance of Terran Republics
UniSocAll

Postby Farsun » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:35 pm

UniSocAll wrote:Yes, protection under the Cultural Protocols, not under a bill made in a country. The CP will not protect your nation from changes, as it (as I understand it) will still allow culture shifts if done gradually, and realistically. This can still mean that in 500 years, we possibly could see a Romanian Beyteinu, or a half Kuwaiti, half Peruvian Dorvik.

and this bill will also protect against that as much as it can.
Farsun

Postby Eryk » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:03 pm

Then the cultural protocols are completely pointless because they defacto only protect the nations from rapid cultural change. Honestly, whether done quickly or gradually - there isn't much difference. In the end of the day the nations culture is still changed.
Eryk

Postby UniSocAll » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:13 pm

Eryk wrote:In the end of the day the nations culture is still changed.

And why is change bad? If a nation were to be culturally locked, than the game will be stagnated, and really boring.
[IAN] International Airwaves Network [IAN]
Like Music To Your Ears | Connecting Communities

Alliance of Terran Republics
UniSocAll

Postby Urien » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:13 pm

That's right, the cultural protocols will allow gradual change over 500 years, but there are conditions. The protocols will be released in moments.
Urien

Postby Eryk » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:20 pm

Then go tell the players in Luthori or Hulstria or Darnussia that their established cultures can without a problem be changes for a period of time. Go throw away the work, and time put into the RP put out by those nations. Today we have a English Luthori, tomorrow we'll have a Indian one. Whatever satisfy's the majority - I'll go with the flow.
Eryk

PreviousNext

Return to General