Resources of Terra

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: Resources of Terra

Postby MapleUnity » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:25 pm

Amazeroth wrote:Malivia has lots of oil and gas, so it should have better than C ratings.

Good point, the list has been updated.

But apart from that, I don't think a list like this does anybody any good, since every player can freely decide what resources are in his country.

It's not really much of a change then, right? Right now we can all run around and say that our nation has so much oil we take baths in it everyday, and the only thing challenging it is ourselves wanting to be somewhat realistic. I just wanted to have some type of tool that the players agree with, and can be used in RP's for realistic purposes. Now when we RP with each other, instead of having to run to the Wiki and wade through the economic sections and geographic sections, we can simply check the list.
The Great Legacy of the Fournes Lives On in Likatonia
Likatonijas Republika -- Republic of Likatonia
MapleUnity

Postby Amazeroth » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:21 pm

MapleUnity wrote:
It's not really much of a change then, right? Right now we can all run around and say that our nation has so much oil we take baths in it everyday, and the only thing challenging it is ourselves wanting to be somewhat realistic. I just wanted to have some type of tool that the players agree with, and can be used in RP's for realistic purposes. Now when we RP with each other, instead of having to run to the Wiki and wade through the economic sections and geographic sections, we can simply check the list.

I get that, and I completely understand your reasons, but I still think its better if in these cases the players of one country just ask the other one - if something is RPed concerning resources, both countries' players will have to consent anyway - the one country bathing in oil thing is only ever going to be a nuisance if for some reason the other players accept that RP.
Eines Tages traf Karl der Große eine alte Frau.
"Guten Tag, alte Frau", sagte Karl der Große.
"Guten Tag, Karl der Große", sagte die alte Frau.
Solche und ähnliche Geschichten erzählt man sich über die Leutseligkeit Karls des Großen.
Amazeroth

Postby Xanathos » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:31 pm

Luthori has zero oil in the homeland, that should be made clear, so I think a C rating is legitimate. We do however have quite a bit of mineral wealth (heavy industries are a big part of Luthori) so a BBB if not AAA would be legitimate. On the other hand, Luthori (and Zardic) possessions in Vascania have been RPed as very rich in oil. New Mordusia has uranium deposits and some oil and Talmorschland has substantial mineral wealth. That being said, colonies should be in a different category. And before you all scream about colonies and stuff, resources anyway are purely RP and there is moderator precedent for allowing resource claims in colonies... Mordusia should be BBB in oil and minerals, there is a very well developed industry.

Kafuristan is AAA+ for oil, anything else would be ridiculous, the middle east after all and Al-Badara should be at least AA+
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan
Xanathos

Postby MichaelReilly » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:44 pm

I think Darnussia's is a very fair assessment.
Down with this sort of thing
MichaelReilly

Postby UniSocAll » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:44 pm

Amazeroth wrote:I don't think a list like this does anybody any good, since every player can freely decide what resources are in his country.

Amazeroth wrote:I still think its better if in these cases the players of one country just ask the other one - if something is RPed concerning resources, both countries' players will have to consent anyway - the one country bathing in oil thing is only ever going to be a nuisance if for some reason the other players accept that RP.

I concur whole-heartily. I don't think a small group of people should decide which country has what, and what-not. Each country should be 'sovereign' on their own RP and resources and such.

Xanathos wrote:the middle east after all

I'd like to counter that - the true middle-east of Terra is technically north-central Seleya. But besides that, even if the current 'ME' is in one of the more colder region, that any nation should be able to RP their oil, and other nations have the right to recognise or deny that. Of course, nations with warmer regions and large territorial waters would be more acceptable if they said they had a lot of oil.
[IAN] International Airwaves Network [IAN]
Like Music To Your Ears | Connecting Communities

Alliance of Terran Republics
UniSocAll

Postby MapleUnity » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:15 pm

I concur whole-heartily. I don't think a small group of people should decide which country has what, and what-not. Each country should be 'sovereign' on their own RP and resources and such.

:?

I completely agree. I'm not trying to control who has what, we can all do that by ourselves. This is just everybody putting their two cents worth into making a list we, or at least myself, can use. I will use this list in RP's, whether or not others want to is up to them.

Perhaps I am by myself here, but I enjoy realistic roleplaying and gaming. I don't mean like everything is based on reality like Earth and stuff, but it should make sense. So, in my opinion, it would make sense if each nation had a rating or visual look of how the oil and minerals match up to others. Obviously I am by myself on this, but I would rather there be some constraints and realism than everybody just doing whatever. I don't find that fun, and I don't know if anyone else on this game agrees with me or not.

I really don't see this as a problem, mainly because every single nation can comment and say what they should have for ratings, and I'll change em. It's no big deal, because nobody knows their own nation like the players who play in it. However, if somebody does not want to use this or whatever, then no problem ... don't. I don't care, I mainly did this for myself and thought I should offer it out because some others might find it useful or interesting, which some people have commented.

Anyways, hope that top part wasn't too much of a rant or something (my inner Rick Mercer :lol: ), cause I love playing this game and look forward to playing it for some time to come. Just putting some ideas out there, whether or not you want to use them is up to the individual.

And on that note, I've changed Luthori, Kafuristan and some others mentionned :D
The Great Legacy of the Fournes Lives On in Likatonia
Likatonijas Republika -- Republic of Likatonia
MapleUnity

Postby bucsfan47 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:37 am

Xanathos wrote:Luthori has zero oil in the homeland, that should be made clear, so I think a C rating is legitimate. We do however have quite a bit of mineral wealth (heavy industries are a big part of Luthori) so a BBB if not AAA would be legitimate. On the other hand, Luthori (and Zardic) possessions in Vascania have been RPed as very rich in oil. New Mordusia has uranium deposits and some oil and Talmorschland has substantial mineral wealth. That being said, colonies should be in a different category. And before you all scream about colonies and stuff, resources anyway are purely RP and there is moderator precedent for allowing resource claims in colonies... Mordusia should be BBB in oil and minerals, there is a very well developed industry.

Kafuristan is AAA+ for oil, anything else would be ridiculous, the middle east after all and Al-Badara should be at least AA+

Just to add, as far as RP goes, Zardugal has done several posts on these forums and the old ones establishing a strong uranium resource pool and production, very few others have. FRP and I worked out the resources a long while ago, but I don't remember all of them off-hand. We stressed to be fair and equal with it and realistic. Though, my other two cents is, this is a rather shoddy idea. It's just another way to make lists and boast. Keeping it out there if people can agree and be realistic with international trade on resources. I've not seen this done much but, I know of a few rare cases. If people actually started worrying about food production and other such things and worked around treaties, started up WTO-like organizations, etc...This would be a neat idea, but one you'd only have a few nations actively involved with...for a period anyway.

And I would agree with Kafuristan. Out of every nation to have existed and actively been role-played Kafuristan leads the way in actual oil exports. Though, former players there may disagree on it being related to the Middle-East other than it's oil monopoly.
Utinam barbari spatium proprium tuum invadant!
bucsfan47

Postby Farsun » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:58 pm

I like it, and of course players can decide what they want to have but if the community has a consensus isn't it almost RP law? I think Dorvik's assessment is rather...true.
Dorvish Social Nationalist Party
OOC Administrator of the Artanian Union & Bureaucrat of the Particracy Wiki
Farsun

Postby Kubrick » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:35 pm

What would be a realistic list of resources Vanuku would have? Fish and oil? And maybe some funny minerals? I'm still working on the wiki and just want a clear overview for this :P
"see yah i think kubs is right" ~Zanz

"I’m pretty sure your buddy Kubrick was upset he couldn’t just resort to his old ways" ~Auditorii

"You can blame Polites and Kubrick for that nightmare" ~Doc
Kubrick

Postby Amazeroth » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:00 pm

Farsun wrote:I like it, and of course players can decide what they want to have but if the community has a consensus isn't it almost RP law? I think Dorvik's assessment is rather...true.

It would be very hard to find out if the community has a consensus though, wouldn't it? And why would you want to create new RP law here?
Eines Tages traf Karl der Große eine alte Frau.
"Guten Tag, alte Frau", sagte Karl der Große.
"Guten Tag, Karl der Große", sagte die alte Frau.
Solche und ähnliche Geschichten erzählt man sich über die Leutseligkeit Karls des Großen.
Amazeroth

PreviousNext

Return to General