OTAF and IATC

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: Organization of Terran Armed Forces.

Postby soysauce » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:00 pm

In Lodamun, for example, it's obvious that the active forces are all paramilitaries, who would be different from a professional military in another country.

Paramilitary simply states that they are not strictly official but not their role, meaning that they could fulfill any role,
If you read OTAF, you see that there is a difference in the cost and quality of different origins of equipment. The laws in-game specify the role of the soldiers.
I made the sensible assumption that the costs for 5000 men referred to their upkeep, training and the logistical backbone that they'd require to function. That is unless you want to itemize (and try to take inventory of) everything from rifles to plate carriers to Landrovers and then calculate their attrition rate and upkeep costs, then add in differing training costs.
The guide makes no reference to the differing maintenance costs of equipment by country of origin, in general the list maintenance costs seem to be crazily out of proportion, for example there's no recognized upkeep cost differences between a cheap OPV and a fully armed Type 45 Destroyer or a Russian Kirov cruiser and the maintenance costs of Vietnam's 3,000 tanks would be akin to operating 150 Aircraft carriers, clearly there's something wrong.

All in all, for the main flesh of a 15 page document it's a little bit of an anti-climax.
soysauce

Postby Siggon Kristov » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:34 pm

soysauce wrote:
In Lodamun, for example, it's obvious that the active forces are all paramilitaries, who would be different from a professional military in another country.

Paramilitary simply states that they are not strictly official but not their role, meaning that they could fulfill any role,

That's just one example. There are law variables in-game which define the roles of the military.
We can simply propose to add more, and Farsun can add more stuff to OTAF based on law variables added to the game (like he did with conscription).

soysauce wrote:
If you read OTAF, you see that there is a difference in the cost and quality of different origins of equipment. The laws in-game specify the role of the soldiers.
I made the sensible assumption that the costs for 5000 men referred to their upkeep, training and the logistical backbone that they'd require to function. That is unless you want to itemize (and try to take inventory of) everything from rifles to plate carriers to Landrovers and then calculate their attrition rate and upkeep costs, then add in differing training costs.
The guide makes no reference to the differing maintenance costs of equipment by country of origin, in general the list maintenance costs seem to be crazily out of proportion, for example there's no recognized upkeep cost differences between a cheap OPV and a fully armed Type 45 Destroyer or a Russian Kirov cruiser and the maintenance costs of Vietnam's 3,000 tanks would be akin to operating 150 Aircraft carriers, clearly there's something wrong.
All in all, for the main flesh of a 15 page document it's a little bit of an anti-climax.

The specific differing costs were a recent idea, and I had encouraged them because I figured my spreadsheet could make the calculators for OTAF, along with budget planning spreadsheets I have done before. You can always make suggestions, and instead of complaining about what has been done, you can do something too.
Check out my latest Particracy project, and feel free to discuss it in the forums.
Siggon Kristov

Postby soysauce » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:26 pm

The specific differing costs were a recent idea, and I had encouraged them because I figured my spreadsheet could make the calculators for OTAF, along with budget planning spreadsheets I have done before. You can always make suggestions, and instead of complaining about what has been done, you can do something too.

He went on the offensive so I ended up being defensive, not an easy position to be constructive from,
soysauce

Postby Farsun » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:30 am

soysauce wrote:

He went on the offensive so I ended up being defensive, not an easy position to be constructive from,

In no which way have you been constructive Soy, let's be honest here. You and I have not had an easy relationship and rather than listing such inaccuracies and offering advice on approving them you blatantly just stated we should sweep it aside in favor of no rules and "self-governed RP" which as we've seen works so well.
Dorvish Social Nationalist Party
OOC Administrator of the Artanian Union & Bureaucrat of the Particracy Wiki
Farsun

Postby soysauce » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:54 am

Yes, I did favour sweeping it aside, if you'll remember we had a discussion about it where I raised concerns about accuracy and made a few suggestions for improvement I also raised concerns about the amount of work required to make a definitive guide being very substantial and questioned whether it was worth the effort to complete that work and the continued viability of such a guide which was not definitive with regards to adverse impact on RP, not to mention the time consuming difficulty in interpreting and enforcing such a guide.
Given the information available to me at the time I will admit that I believed that discontinuing the guide's enforcement was the most practical option,

I do not see why myself holding that view based on my aforementioned reasons is in any way objectionable to you Farsun,
soysauce

Postby Farsun » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:49 pm

Luckily, you don't have to worry about it anymore. I hope that you and your efforts for the military RP of the game are sufficient enough to put a halt to the military excesses this game has seen over the years. I'm sure you have all the answers my dear friend.

Cheers people!
Farsun

Postby soysauce » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:30 pm

Farsun wrote:Luckily, you don't have to worry about it anymore. I hope that you and your efforts for the military RP of the game are sufficient enough to put a halt to the military excesses this game has seen over the years. I'm sure you have all the answers my dear friend.

Cheers people!

I don't have the time my friend, I'm strictly here on the principals of "Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

If you want to criticize me then expect me to make a defense, not do your job for you,
soysauce

Postby Farsun » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:44 pm

http://nationsdawnofanera.weebly.com/

I figured that I'd give that to the community in place of my numbers, a friend of mine linked it to me. It is much more detailed and had I had it earlier, I would have included it.
Farsun

Postby Siggon Kristov » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:38 pm

soysauce wrote:not to mention the time consuming difficulty in interpreting and enforcing such a guide.
Given the information available to me at the time I will admit that I believed that discontinuing the guide's enforcement was the most practical option,

You undermine the power of my spreadsheets.
Check out my latest Particracy project, and feel free to discuss it in the forums.
Siggon Kristov

Postby soysauce » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:06 am

Farsun wrote:http://nationsdawnofanera.weebly.com/

I figured that I'd give that to the community in place of my numbers, a friend of mine linked it to me. It is much more detailed and had I had it earlier, I would have included it.

That guide is just another knockoff of 21c's work, (as is it's entire parent site it seems), The Upkeep costs have been added by someone else and they are out by quite a long way from real life numbers but they'll work well enough for Particracy. (in all but the extreme examples.)
soysauce

PreviousNext

Return to General