OTAF and IATC

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: Organization of Terran Armed Forces.

Postby PaleRider » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:13 pm

SelucianCrusader wrote:I must admit I'm not too knowledgable about military stuff, but I always wanted to have privatized armed forces consisting of several contracted groups, PMC:s, paramilitaries etc. I always imagined the Barmenian armed forces as something between Israeli and Iranian - Lebanese perhaps?

Barmenia has always had an interesting make up to it. It could definitely have Israeli comparisons though I'm not sure about Lebanese comparisons since Cildania is the closest thing to Lebanon/Syria in game. I would say it would have major Vanukuean influences and perhaps you could use this oppurtunity (as in teh MU support) to build a new military taking a little bit of Vanuku, Zardugal and the like with you.
Political Affiliation~ GOP (US)
Pro: Liberal Conservatism, Paleo-liberalism, Chicago Capitalism, social conservatism, neoconservative
Anti: leftist, multiculturalism, Islamic radicalism
Currently the Zardic People's Party
Starring as Wiendonia in NS
PaleRider

Postby Farsun » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:55 pm

Truthfully nations that have become the center for a specific language and culture have been designated as the places where RL equipment comes from, for instance Russian equipment comes from Trigunia while Iranian equipment comes from Aldegar. It's really to be able to put a face to a name sort of deal, what I mean by that is that we know that Rodshya is the Russian of the game and the culture of Trigunia is historically Russian, its easier to keep Russian equipment with Trigunia because the names and whatnot make sense. Its tough to translate stuff and keep the casual player involved when they have to run around and find out that the T90 is Russian when its produced in Kafuristan, ya know what I mean?
Dorvish Social Nationalist Party
OOC Administrator of the Artanian Union & Bureaucrat of the Particracy Wiki
Farsun

Postby Aquinas » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:11 pm

Talking of Trigunia, when I was there, I was surprised to learn that according to its Cultural Protocols (which I think you had in a hand in drawing up some time back) "75% of the worlds military equipment is stated to have originated from Trigunian factories"! Out of interest, is OTAF going to uphold that claim?
Aquinas

Postby Farsun » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:30 pm

Aquinas wrote:Talking of Trigunia, when I was there, I was surprised to learn that according to its Cultural Protocols (which I think you had in a hand in drawing up some time back) "75% of the worlds military equipment is stated to have originated from Trigunian factories"! Out of interest, is OTAF going to uphold that claim?

A vast majority of players surprising use a combination of Russian and American equipment, few use anything else outside of that. 75% might be a little high but I imagine Trigunia, as the effective producer of cheap armor and armaments might be able to bear that title. I'm going to establish the International Arms Trade Commission which will basically be a broker for nations to make purchases of military equipment and serve as a database for purchases and what equipment nations have, basically as an effective means to eliminate people saying that they have 30k tanks and a million ICBMs. It's going to be a little rough but I believe that if players stand behind it, it'll be an awesome tool to actually make military and conflict RP viable and fun for everyone involved.
Farsun

Postby Aquinas » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:35 pm

If we had a system like that, and it was simple enough that even military ignoramuses like me could understand it, then I think that would be a huge step forward.
Aquinas

Postby Farsun » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:47 pm

Aquinas wrote:If we had a system like that, and it was simple enough that even military ignoramuses like me could understand it, then I think that would be a huge step forward.

The outline for the plan is have a percentage of a Ministry of Defense's budget set aside for a 10-year purchase period. How I intend this to work is that nations will add up a percentage of their defense budget for purchasing military equipment over a 10 year period and then they will be able to purchase equipment from select nations that are arms exporting nations such as Trigunia, Lodamun, Malivia, Deltaria, Aldegar (just to name a few) and then they will have that equipment for 10 years game time, allowing nations to purchase additional equipment in 10 years and allowing the records keepers to ensure that they are properly recorded. With that, maintenance will be applied to equipment depending on its tier, such as heavy tier tanks will have a higher maintenance than a light tier tank and that will double during wartime. It isn't a perfect system but its something and a means to make sure that nations that shouldn't or couldn't mass 5000 M1A1 abrams, doesn't.

That is a rudimentary outline of the scope of the 4th Edition of OTAF.
Farsun

Postby Aquinas » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:21 pm

Farsun wrote:
Aquinas wrote:If we had a system like that, and it was simple enough that even military ignoramuses like me could understand it, then I think that would be a huge step forward.

The outline for the plan is have a percentage of a Ministry of Defense's budget set aside for a 10-year purchase period. How I intend this to work is that nations will add up a percentage of their defense budget for purchasing military equipment over a 10 year period and then they will be able to purchase equipment from select nations that are arms exporting nations such as Trigunia, Lodamun, Malivia, Deltaria, Aldegar (just to name a few) and then they will have that equipment for 10 years game time, allowing nations to purchase additional equipment in 10 years and allowing the records keepers to ensure that they are properly recorded. With that, maintenance will be applied to equipment depending on its tier, such as heavy tier tanks will have a higher maintenance than a light tier tank and that will double during wartime. It isn't a perfect system but its something and a means to make sure that nations that shouldn't or couldn't mass 5000 M1A1 abrams, doesn't.

That is a rudimentary outline of the scope of the 4th Edition of OTAF.

As with the Economic Protocols (which never really took off) that would require quite a bit of record-keeping, but if you had at least 1 enthusiastic volunteer in each nation (or maybe a team of volunteers covering several nations, or maybe a continent or a region each) I'm sure that could be done.

One issue that might arise is that some of the arms exporting nations might be inactive at the times players want to buy arms. Either that, or if they do have players, those players might not be interested in arms-dealing RP. I would hope, though, that the addition of arms-dealing RP into the game would encourage players who are interested in that to go to those arms exporting nations.
Aquinas

Postby Farsun » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:26 pm

It kind of circumvents the players and the nations themselves, unless they of course object which could create some awesome international arms dealing scenarios that we've actually seen recent such as the Saudi's purchase of Chinese ICBMs or the fact that numerous Middle Eastern countries have run to Russia and China over the United States. For instance if Zardugal wanted to purchase equipment from Lodamun but the Lodamese wanted to block that because they had a diplomatic row with the Zards, they could but most nations would care and would benefit from it. States that export equipment get that money added to their budget for a single year, for instance if Trigunia does 3.7b LOD in arms deals they can add that whenever they want to to their defense ministry budget allowing them to either purchase more equipment or maintain a larger force.
Farsun

Postby Aquinas » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:33 pm

Would there be scope for nations to upgrade their arms industries and move from being arms importers to arms exporters? And for that matter, could a nation downscale its arms industry, becoming an importer rather than an exporter?

Though perhaps that is too ambitious/complicated, at least for the beginning of the project.
Aquinas

Postby Farsun » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:37 pm

At the onset, no, there isn't going to be but in theory a nation can do that if they want to adopt a branch of equipment from a larger nation. For instance, Pakistan has taken to adopting several Russian-made pieces as their own, Ukraine has done the same thing. It will be minor because keeping with some form of consistency and military and conflict realism, nations usually don't just turn around and start producing equipment and become a leading exporter of equipment. It has happened but few instances and the ones that I have mentioned are really some of the only cases with others being Sweden, the Dutch and maybe even Poland now.
Farsun

PreviousNext

Return to General