OTAF and IATC

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: OTAF and IATC

Postby Liu Che/Zhuli » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:22 am

Just as a side note, Moderation, at least according to Darvian, was supposed to implement "soft" development. Cultural Protocols were his idea and he provided the foundation for the Economic Protocols, as well as decolonization. Those need tweaking, but things like OTAF or some sort of "military protocol" beyond the RA would be in this line of "soft" development.

I wholeheartedly think that Aquinas and Amazeroth should be more active in soft development. That is what is needed. If other players get upset, then their loss. Darvian's philosophy was always to do what was in the best interests of the game, not a few players.

Wish he was back...
Liu Che/Zhuli

Postby Farsun » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:16 am

The link that is posted on the first page is the work in progress 4th edition of OTAF, please read through it and let me know what you think.
Dorvish Social Nationalist Party
OOC Administrator of the Artanian Union & Bureaucrat of the Particracy Wiki
Farsun

Postby Reddy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:55 pm

Read the 4th edition. Very well done, Farsun (and any other collaborators) Excellent and comprehensive work. Can't help being pessimistic as usual (the glass is always half empty for me...) about the possibility of enforcement of this or cultural protocols, one party system or anything else which is not game mechanics but still, excellent work.
To live outside the law, you must be honest.
Reddy

Postby Kubrick » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:00 pm

Yes I really like the set up but disagree with some controlling aspects, some limitations simply don't simply go from RL > Particracy nation, while the 4th Edition does assume that RL equivalents have the same power as the RL nations.
"see yah i think kubs is right" ~Zanz

"I’m pretty sure your buddy Kubrick was upset he couldn’t just resort to his old ways" ~Auditorii

"You can blame Polites and Kubrick for that nightmare" ~Doc
Kubrick

Postby Farsun » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:35 pm

Reddy wrote:Read the 4th edition. Very well done, Farsun (and any other collaborators) Excellent and comprehensive work. Can't help being pessimistic as usual (the glass is always half empty for me...) about the possibility of enforcement of this or cultural protocols, one party system or anything else which is not game mechanics but still, excellent work.

Much appreciated!

Kubrick wrote:Yes I really like the set up but disagree with some controlling aspects, some limitations simply don't simply go from RL > Particracy nation, while the 4th Edition does assume that RL equivalents have the same power as the RL nations.

I'm quite confused to what you mean actually. No where do I state that nations in the game are equivalent to their perceived real-world counterparts actually so, please explain further?
Farsun

Postby Kubrick » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:55 pm

Farsun wrote:
Reddy wrote:Read the 4th edition. Very well done, Farsun (and any other collaborators) Excellent and comprehensive work. Can't help being pessimistic as usual (the glass is always half empty for me...) about the possibility of enforcement of this or cultural protocols, one party system or anything else which is not game mechanics but still, excellent work.

Much appreciated!

Kubrick wrote:Yes I really like the set up but disagree with some controlling aspects, some limitations simply don't simply go from RL > Particracy nation, while the 4th Edition does assume that RL equivalents have the same power as the RL nations.

I'm quite confused to what you mean actually. No where do I state that nations in the game are equivalent to their perceived real-world counterparts actually so, please explain further?

You have assigned all military material to the RL equivalents and somewhere it stated that no other nation may use that material without purchasing it. But in real life the US has a big fleet of aircraft carriers, in game Zardugal is supposed to be the US equivalent when it comes to military hardware (sacrilege by the way) but todays Zardugal is hardly capable of producing a fleet of aircraft carriers.

Dorvik produces nothing according to the International Arms Trade Commission yet their international status should surely make them able to produce/design some very impressive military hardware. My point is that basing it solely on RL equivalents may be arbitrary in some cases. An exception should be added to that rule.

"I’m pretty sure your buddy Kubrick was upset he couldn’t just resort to his old ways" ~Auditorii

Kubrick

Postby Farsun » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:25 am

Just because a country comes from a specific tech group does not mean that they are the equivalent of that country or has their military power. Zardugal was handed the American technology group because they were far more active than Lodamun who previously held it. I will not be handing Vanuku, Dorvik or anyone else the ability to produce Nimitz-class carriers, it just doesn't make sense. The tech groups that are assigned are static and will only shift if necessary, such as the aforementioned change from Lodamun to Zardugal.

Please do not equate technology with power, because while it does have an impact, the two are not directly related. Also, remember the fact that just because a country has access to technology means they have to produce it all and use it all. It's up to the country to what they can produce and what type of military they want to have. Plus, technology can be moved around a little such as the Dorvish having access to German naval technology seeing as Dundorf does not have a navy and barely ever has or the fact that IATC is used as a means for OTAF to sign arms deals with countries that the PEN nation might not be active. So, in theory, things can be changed if necessary or makes sense.
Farsun

Postby Kubrick » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:30 pm

Farsun wrote:Just because a country comes from a specific tech group does not mean that they are the equivalent of that country or has their military power. Zardugal was handed the American technology group because they were far more active than Lodamun who previously held it. I will not be handing Vanuku, Dorvik or anyone else the ability to produce Nimitz-class carriers, it just doesn't make sense. The tech groups that are assigned are static and will only shift if necessary, such as the aforementioned change from Lodamun to Zardugal.

Please do not equate technology with power, because while it does have an impact, the two are not directly related. Also, remember the fact that just because a country has access to technology means they have to produce it all and use it all. It's up to the country to what they can produce and what type of military they want to have. Plus, technology can be moved around a little such as the Dorvish having access to German naval technology seeing as Dundorf does not have a navy and barely ever has or the fact that IATC is used as a means for OTAF to sign arms deals with countries that the PEN nation might not be active. So, in theory, things can be changed if necessary or makes sense.

I never stated either of those things. I only wanted to make clear to you that these should not be enforcing. They should only be guidelines. Your latter part seems to agree with me there, it should be flexible.

Kubrick

Postby Liu Che/Zhuli » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:02 pm

Kubrick pretty much addressed my same concerns, but it appears that they have and will continue to be explained. Overall, this is a great start! I really enjoyed reading it.
Liu Che/Zhuli

Postby soysauce » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:03 pm

I see you've borrowed rather a lot of our stuff from 21c ;)

Nah, seriously, nice work Farsun, :)
soysauce

PreviousNext

Return to General