Standardized Naming of Oceans and Seas

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Standardized Naming of Oceans and Seas

Postby LukasV » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:54 pm

At this present time, there is no real coherent naming system of Oceans and such. Sure, there has been this thing: http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060710005602/particracy/images/5/5d/Terra_Grid.png, but much of it is biased, comical, and generally just weird (I mean, Sea of Knee-Walking Turkeys? Seriously?).

I propose that we establish a standardized label for the oceans and such on the world map, as to make an official map of Terra that is coherent and professional. It would go a long way to standardizing wiki entries as well, and would help to streamline RP as well.

First off, there are about 5 bodies of water that can be made to be oceans. These can be divided down into a list of seas, channels, inlets, gulfs, etc, as need be by bordering nations. Personally, I'd like to see some of the more sillier names changed to something more atlas-worthy. I'll start by drawing up a blank map of Terra, and we'll go from there.

Any ideas and such for naming will be greatly appreciated. For the names of oceans, I would ask that the names be kept nation-neutral, as in they should not be named after a nation or a region, and instead should be something that everyone can relate to. :)
Last edited by LukasV on Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get All That You Deserve In This World

Free Speech Fundamentalist
Classical Liberal/Libertarian
A Necessary Evil
Haterz Gon' Hate

"You believe you have dominion
So you force your lame opinions on me
And my eggshell mind"
LukasV

Re: Standardized Naming of Oceans and Seas

Postby Liu Che/Zhuli » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:07 pm

This could be a good idea, although I highly doubt people will agree.

We could have just general names, but I think that all nations should be able to call the bodies of water around them whatever they want, as there will be cultural and historical names given to them. Also, I suggest keeping some of the names, like the Anantese Ocean, due to the historical significance.
Liu Che/Zhuli

Postby Rougi » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:13 pm

I completely agree with trying to get some universal names. We should be able to work together to come up with some respectable names, and at least replace the weird ones.
Formally:

~Likaton Unity Party, Likatonia (MapleUnity)
Rougi

Postby LukasV » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:36 pm

Liu Che/Zhuli wrote:This could be a good idea, although I highly doubt people will agree.

We could have just general names, but I think that all nations should be able to call the bodies of water around them whatever they want, as there will be cultural and historical names given to them. Also, I suggest keeping some of the names, like the Anantese Ocean, due to the historical significance.

I'm not saying that I want all the names to go. However, a standard set of names would be ideal to finalize. Though, calling an ocean after a Kalistani island is hardly fair. A sea, that would do. But not an entire ocean.

A Necessary Evil
Haterz Gon' Hate

And my eggshell mind"
LukasV

Postby Eryk » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:55 am

I'm sure we already went over this. Either way the ocean north of Kazulia has become the White Ocean and will be used under that name in present and future roleplay so..
Eryk

Postby LukasV » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:41 am

See? That's what I mean. People already have their own names for these things. It would be much easier if we could standardize the names so that everyone uses the same ones for certain bodies of water.

A Necessary Evil
Haterz Gon' Hate

And my eggshell mind"
LukasV

Postby Eryk » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:07 pm

LukasV wrote:See? That's what I mean. People already have their own names for these things. It would be much easier if we could standardize the names so that everyone uses the same ones for certain bodies of water.

That would be a problem if someone else called it otherwise, however so far I haven't heard anyone complain...
Eryk

Postby LukasV » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:10 pm

Eryk wrote:
LukasV wrote:See? That's what I mean. People already have their own names for these things. It would be much easier if we could standardize the names so that everyone uses the same ones for certain bodies of water.

That would be a problem if someone else called it otherwise, however so far I haven't heard anyone complain...

I'm not saying that it's got to go. I just want a clear and concise naming. That's it. Some things will change, others will stay the same. But there has to be a reference map that can be used by all, that is both official and professional.

A Necessary Evil
Haterz Gon' Hate

And my eggshell mind"
LukasV

Postby UniSocAll » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:58 pm

Exactly, the Ocean of Freezing Cold Blue Wet Stuff can be named whatever anyone wants. If it catches on and everyone one starts to use it, then it would have "changed" itself.

My two cents: I've already proposed a regional naming convention, Ie. Every nation(s) names the body of water near them. Even if it doesn't catch on, it would still be the "national name."

For instance, the Ocean of Freezing Cold Blue Wet Stuff is called "White Ocean" in Kazulia, but can be named "Ocean Blanco" or "Dranish Ocean" in Dranland, "Northern Ocean" in Hulstria, and so on and so forth. As well, other nations can also take on the naming convention, calling it the "White Ocean" or "Northern Ocean"

We've already discussed "standardising" oceans before. The problem with that is, that anyone can name anything anyway they want.

One way to solve the issue is to create a sort of oceanic map ro be used "in valruzian schools" or something, and then you have that as a reference point on names. That way, everyone knows what you are talking about, and you can change the names. Also, we can hve RP when it comes to different names, propaganda wars etc.
[IAN] International Airwaves Network [IAN]
Like Music To Your Ears | Connecting Communities

Alliance of Terran Republics
UniSocAll

Postby LukasV » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:18 pm

UniSocAll wrote:Exactly, the Ocean of Freezing Cold Blue Wet Stuff can be named whatever anyone wants. If it catches on and everyone one starts to use it, then it would have "changed" itself.

My two cents: I've already proposed a regional naming convention, Ie. Every nation(s) names the body of water near them. Even if it doesn't catch on, it would still be the "national name."

For instance, the Ocean of Freezing Cold Blue Wet Stuff is called "White Ocean" in Kazulia, but can be named "Ocean Blanco" or "Dranish Ocean" in Dranland, "Northern Ocean" in Hulstria, and so on and so forth. As well, other nations can also take on the naming convention, calling it the "White Ocean" or "Northern Ocean"

We've already discussed "standardising" oceans before. The problem with that is, that anyone can name anything anyway they want.

One way to solve the issue is to create a sort of oceanic map ro be used "in valruzian schools" or something, and then you have that as a reference point on names. That way, everyone knows what you are talking about, and you can change the names. Also, we can hve RP when it comes to different names, propaganda wars etc.

Or that.

It would be nice if we could get a list of names used for these things on the Wiki. It's hard enough as-is to do geographic RP when you don't know what people are talking about.

A Necessary Evil
Haterz Gon' Hate

And my eggshell mind"
LukasV

Next

Return to General