Standardized Naming of Oceans and Seas

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: Standardized Naming of Oceans and Seas

Postby Rougi » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:04 am

Wait, why can't we just have each ocean named, and then work together to come up with names that we like. Sure, anybody could call anything whatever they want, but does it matter? If Dranland, Kazulia, Hulstria and whoever agree to name something, then they will all go by what they said to name it and so would anybody else who wants to have people know what their talking about.

Because thats what its about right? I could say "I'm going fishing on the Green Ocean" which might be what I call the "White Ocean", and nobody would know where that is. But if we all get together and agree that one ocean is called something, then we can reference to it and everyone will know what we're talking about.

Its basically what language is. We want to communicate, and I want to communicate so that everyone is capable of easily knowing what I'm talking about.

For instance; we all call Majatra "Majatra". Its the exact same thing! Our continents have names the same all over, even the nations do! Why can't the other geographic features in the game do the same thing? It's simply a way to have better RP, better IC debate and more discussion. I love the idea, and want to work with everybody else to make the names we can all agree on.
Formally:

~Likaton Unity Party, Likatonia (MapleUnity)
Rougi

Postby UniSocAll » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:39 am

Well, you wouldn't get a consensus. The best one would do is get a dozen active forum players and name the oceans. The difference with the continent are that, if I am correct, they were named by wouter, as was the nations, so we'd have to accept it in principal.

In any case, your idea isn't different than mine - regional naming conventions by the affected nations. Of course, the Ocean of Freezing Cold Blue Wet Stuff would then technically need an agreement between around a dozen nations., but I'm sure it's better than having 58 nations.

Alternatively, call it what you want, post your nations' name for the oceans on the wiki, or in an ooc-thread, or even in the forum newspapers, and see if it catches on. The oceans haven't been much of an RP tool in the past, and really a handful of people even knew what names the ocean had, but hopefully now, with two threads about it, some RP can be created!
[IAN] International Airwaves Network [IAN]
Like Music To Your Ears | Connecting Communities

Alliance of Terran Republics
UniSocAll

Postby LukasV » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:54 pm

For a start, I'd like to propose the combining of the South Ocean and the Mad Dog Ocean into one entity. In all truth, they can be made into one larger body of water, and all boundaries would be kept intact.

The only problem here would be naming. Personally, I don't care much for "South Ocean". It's an objective direction that only has any meaning for Artania, as well as anything north of Malivia that has southern contact with the body (the ocean is west of Valruzia, for example, and is not well interpreted as such). However, calling it the Mad Dog Ocean isn't too attractive either. Let's put out some ideas and see what we come up with.
Get All That You Deserve In This World

Free Speech Fundamentalist
Classical Liberal/Libertarian
A Necessary Evil
Haterz Gon' Hate

"You believe you have dominion
So you force your lame opinions on me
And my eggshell mind"
LukasV

Postby catparty » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:09 am

UniSocAll wrote:Exactly, the Ocean of Freezing Cold Blue Wet Stuff can be named whatever anyone wants. If it catches on and everyone one starts to use it, then it would have "changed" itself.

My two cents: I've already proposed a regional naming convention, Ie. Every nation(s) names the body of water near them. Even if it doesn't catch on, it would still be the "national name."

One way to solve the issue is to create a sort of oceanic map ro be used "in valruzian schools" or something, and then you have that as a reference point on names. That way, everyone knows what you are talking about, and you can change the names. Also, we can hve RP when it comes to different names, propaganda wars etc.

I very much agree with this post.
Libertarian Alliance of Cats
Feline Homeland of Barmenia

Progressive Party
Realms of Luthori
catparty

Postby socrev » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:24 pm

I'd be happy to participate in this effort as well. Cartography is an interest of mine, though I don't possess any particular skill in it.
socrev

Postby jamescfm » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:23 pm

Courtesy of the National Oceanographic Society of Indrala:

Please let me know if this contradicts any existing role-play and I'll endeavour to harmonise them :)
jamescfm

Postby Axxell » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:45 pm

Red bass Ocean? It had not a dutch/german like name the ocean between Artania/Majatra and Dovani?
Alleanza Radicale (Radical Alliance) - Istalia (Active)
Axxell

Postby jamescfm » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:59 pm

I chose to change some of the ocean names because I felt they were overly silly or nonsensical. No authoritative source exists on the seas and oceans so you're free to call them what you please but I thought this might help us to reference them in role-play. Some more information can be found through my wiki page, if you're interested.
jamescfm

Postby Auditorii » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:06 pm

jamescfm wrote:I chose to change some of the ocean names because I felt they were overly silly or nonsensical. No authoritative source exists on the seas and oceans so you're free to call them what you please but I thought this might help us to reference them in role-play. Some more information can be found through my wiki page, if you're interested.

Why not make this binding? It makes no sense to keep up with the idea that "Oh, call it whatever you want." Make it definitive and go from there.
Image Dorvik | Image Zardugal | Image Ostland (FBC)
-- Particracy Game Rules
-- Moderation Requests
-- Game Information
-- Particracy Discord
Auditorii

Postby jamescfm » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:22 am

Auditorii wrote:Why not make this binding? It makes no sense to keep up with the idea that "Oh, call it whatever you want." Make it definitive and go from there.

Firstly, as I don't think it's fair on others who may have used the former names for role-play in the past, especially players who are no longer actively involved so can't contribute to any discussions. However, I don't think it's necessary to do so, either. If people ask what x, y or z body of water is called, I can just direct them to the map and "this is what I call, you can too".
jamescfm

PreviousNext

Return to General