Standardized Naming of Oceans and Seas

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: Standardized Naming of Oceans and Seas

Postby Axxell » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:19 pm

A question, what is the name for the great mass of water which encircle the southermost latitude? Because, it is clearly consolidated that the southern region of the world are absolutely not like the northern region: it is consolidated the fact that nations like Dorvik, Trigunia or Hutori lies on very northern latitude (I often reed RP about cold and snowy regions, the use of icebreakers, economic activities into the frozen waters, etcc...) but about the Majatran continent I never read something of comparable and rather it was described to host hot desert and the Majatran sea is clearly a mediterranean/warm tropical sea (with the equator which pass through Selucia).
And infact I also always see also this map: http://particracy.wikia.com/wiki/File:Terra_Grid.png as a good reference for the RP.

So, the large mass of water into the south, did you think to some new name for it or "Perartic Ocean" works?

And about the remarks made by Auditorii, sorry, but there is the right for players to change names to the continents?
Alleanza Radicale (Radical Alliance) - Istalia (Active)
Axxell

Postby jamescfm » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:31 am

Seems to have been an oversight on my own part, the current name seems fine to me. We could have it a bit like the real Antarctic Ocean- some people don't actually recognise it as a separate body of water and some do.
jamescfm

Postby Akhenaten » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:24 am

This was a while ago but that Artanian Sea absolutely cannot be named the Jelbic Sea. Why would Indralans have any right to name a sea near a civilized society for centuries, if not millennia? That's like the Chinese showing up on ships and naming the Mediterranean, well I don't know, who gives a shit. Ridiculous.

Sorry James, I have no ill will against you, but seriously, that's terrible.
Akhenaten

Postby jamescfm » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:37 am

Akhenaten wrote:That's like the Chinese showing up on ships and naming the Mediterranean, well I don't know, who gives a shit. Ridiculous.

I don't understand this. Why would they need to show up on ships? The Chinese obviously have a name for the Mediterranean, as the Indralans have a name for the Jelbic Sea. Since nobody else has ever (in the last decade) offered a name for the body of water, why shouldn't I use my name? As I have said on multiple occasions:

jamescfm wrote:you're free to call them what you please

jamescfm wrote:"this is what I call [it], you can too"

jamescfm wrote:you can call it whatever you like

Does anyone actually have a name for the body of water that they would like me to include? As I've already made clear, I'm happy to add alternatives but literally nobody has provided one.
jamescfm

Postby Akhenaten » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:54 am

Sorry for my defensive tone, but we don't refer to the Mediterranean by the Chinese name, do we?

No, I guess I don't have an alternative, but it would be like referring the Mediterranean by the Mongol Sea, which literally makes no sense. I would prefer anything to the name of a people that has by and large never even seen the sea they are named after.

I have a habit of being an ass when I don't have to be, I'm sorry about that.
Akhenaten

Postby jamescfm » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:55 am

Don't worry about it, I'm not suggesting the name is accurate, useful or good- I just don't really have another one.
jamescfm

Postby Akhenaten » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:03 am

Well this is probably a shitty suggestion but maybe the Mediartanian Sea? Or something close to that? Mediterranean means middle of the Earth, this sea is roughly in the middle of Artania. It's a little bit too close to real world though...but so is much of this game.

EDIT: Of course, in universe, that would be a Selucian name, so I suppose that wouldn't work either. Maybe the Middelartanian, to go with the Old English version, since Luthori is probably the land that would have named it?
Akhenaten

Postby jamescfm » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:31 am

Akhenaten wrote:Well this is probably a shitty suggestion but maybe the Mediartanian Sea? Or something close to that? Mediterranean means middle of the Earth, this sea is roughly in the middle of Artania. It's a little bit too close to real world though...but so is much of this game.

EDIT: Of course, in universe, that would be a Selucian name, so I suppose that wouldn't work either. Maybe the Middelartanian, to go with the Old English version, since Luthori is probably the land that would have named it?

Sounds fine to me, I'll update the Wiki accordingly later. Hoping to get some update maps too, which will include Axxel's mention of the southern ocean.
jamescfm

Postby Auditorii » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:24 pm

Akhenaten wrote:Well this is probably a shitty suggestion but maybe the Mediartanian Sea? Or something close to that? Mediterranean means middle of the Earth, this sea is roughly in the middle of Artania. It's a little bit too close to real world though...but so is much of this game.

Unlikely as the Dundorfian Reich and the Holy Luthori Empire were both competing.
Image Dorvik | Image Zardugal | Image Ostland (FBC)
-- Particracy Game Rules
-- Moderation Requests
-- Game Information
-- Particracy Discord
Auditorii

Previous

Return to General