Hosianism Development Project

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: Hosianism Development Project

Postby Polites » Thu May 10, 2012 7:39 pm

I added Jonathan and the two apostles in your excerpt to the list of Scriptural Canon.

Also, I really like the idea of Eliyahu doing battle with Satan in Hell in the name of all mankind. We could use the iconographic depictions of the "Harrowing of Hell" to illustrate the concept. The Sacrifice of Water (Baptism) can be considered a mirroring of Eliyahu's exile into Hell, with submersion into water as a parallel with descent to hell.
Polites

Postby EdwardBishop » Fri May 11, 2012 9:44 am

Martinulus wrote:I thought we called Protestantism "Independent Churches". We might even call it "Independentism".

I don't particularly like this as I think it's too generic, and not neccessarily accurate (The Holy Luthori Church, for instance, does not consider itself "Independent" of anything ("Sovereign" maybe, or in more extreme cases "The True Church" but not "Independent", though maybe the "Catholic" churches call them that), and its individual congregations are as much a body of the hierarchy as they would be in a "Catholic" organization, in a way that independantism would sugguest),

Are there even really any "Protestant" player organizations that aren't also Luthoran?

I realize that the wiki pre-retcon had pretty much all irl denominations, but that I think was merely for the sake of inclusiveness/etc, and there is no need now with Hosianism -not- being Christianity to include denominations which have not ever had a real role in-game,

If so, we can simply use Luthoran to mean Protestant, in the general sense,

Also I liked how Scionism was more latin-sounding compared to the greek-sounding Hosian... but I would be fine with referring to "Protestantism" IG as Luthoranism (in the general sense), and leaving Scionism with a more specific theological meaning,

As a final note, since this is Hosianism and not Christanity, I think it would be perfectly acceptable to say that Martyn Luthor split over more or different differences than what Martin Luther did with Catholicism, per se,
Current:
Royal Orange Party of Luthori (IA) - Holy Luthori Empire

Former:
Les Ultraroyalists d'Alduria

Ordo Illuminati Patricii - Republic & Empire of Selucia

National Royalist Navaron Aristocrats' Party - United Kingdom of Kruzil & Navaras
EdwardBishop

Postby Martinulus » Fri May 11, 2012 12:52 pm

I personally believe that even though we should let our imagination run wild to come up with a distinct concept, the real challenge is to make Hosianism and its different Churches serve similar purposes to their real-life equivalents. Besides, Luther's criticism of the Catholic Church was, as I believe, quite extensive.
Hosianisch-Demokratisches Verbund - Hulstria and Gao-Soto

Notable previous parties:
Folkepartiet (People's Party) - Kazulia
Martinulus

Postby Polites » Fri May 11, 2012 12:58 pm

I don't know how involved they were in real RP, but there are several "Ameliorate" churches, which would be the equivalent of RL Reformed Churches. The Confessional Ameliorate Church of Dundorf is also an ecumenical Lutheran and Calvinist church, so we do need to come up with a name for Protestantism in general, beyond "Luthorism". I do agree that perhaps "Independent" sounds too bland.
Polites

Postby Martinulus » Fri May 11, 2012 1:04 pm

Polites wrote:I don't know how involved they were in real RP, but there are several "Ameliorate" churches, which would be the equivalent of RL Reformed Churches. The Confessional Ameliorate Church of Dundorf is also an ecumenical Lutheran and Calvinist church, so we do need to come up with a name for Protestantism in general, beyond "Luthorism". I do agree that perhaps "Independent" sounds too bland.

How about Objectionism, in a similar vein to Protestantism? Or perhaps Scripturalism/Annunciatism, representing their primary focus on scripture? Abjurationists, because they abjured the authority of the Patriarchal Church?

Martinulus

Postby EdwardBishop » Fri May 11, 2012 2:01 pm

I'm not personally sure how that would work, while the "low church" of the Holy Luthori Church may agree with the "Scriptualist" , but the "High" still considers itself "Patriarchal" (presumably the same way Anglicans still consider themselves "Catholic"),

so I think our retcon-word for protestantism is better off going either fully Terran (that is using a term unique to our setting/history, like Luthori, since it was responsible for spreading Protestantism throughout Terra), or something totally unique that we can all agree on (which because tastes are so different for different people would be hard to agree on)
Last edited by EdwardBishop on Fri May 11, 2012 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current:

Former:

National Royalist Navaron Aristocrats' Party - United Kingdom of Kruzil & Navaras
EdwardBishop

Postby Martinulus » Fri May 11, 2012 2:04 pm

EdwardBishop wrote:I'm not personally sure how that would work, while the "low church" of the Holy Luthori Church may agree with the "Scriptualist" , but the "High" still considers itself "Patriarchal" (presumably the same way Anglicans still consider themselves "Catholic")

So we have to find a way in which to mirror the Anglican claim to be both "reformed and catholic", right? Hmm... let me have a thought... how about we think of another name for the Lutheran tradition (perhaps "Annunciate", as a mirror of "Evangelical-Lutheran") and have "Confessional" instead refer to the entire "Protestant" family?

Martinulus

Postby EdwardBishop » Fri May 11, 2012 2:20 pm

Go back to my earlier question though which remains unanswered - are there really any active "Protestant" organizations that aren't also Luthoran?

I honestly don't see any reason not to call the entire "Protestant" family, "Lutheran" because all in-game "Protestant" demonominations 'are' already (and have been for some time) Luthoran,

If any groups want to make their own non-Catholic/Orthodox/Lutheran "Christian" denominations, then -they- can be "Independent" or come up with their own terms all they want... but since we don't have any active organizations that need to be differciated atm, then it should be fine...

After all we don't need to have a copy of every "Christian" Denomination IRL as a "Hosian" denomination, there is absolutely no need for that, and if some player wants to bring a new one in, then they can deal with the current atmosphere/rules at the time whenever they come in, (makes it more like emergent gameplay that way anyway, and more reflecting of our setting of terra rather than an arbitrary one-for-one translation from the rl-splits in christanity)
Current:

Former:

EdwardBishop

Postby Martinulus » Fri May 11, 2012 2:25 pm

Arguably, the Cultural Protocol of Hulstria that we recently passed does contain Ameliorate Churches, so my party, as a multi-denominational Hosian Democratic Party, does in theory include them, but I definitely see what you mean. I guess that's something we'll have to discuss further. I personally would like at least the Calvinists to be represented in the spectrum of Hosian Churches, but I have no really strong preference either way.

Martinulus

Postby EdwardBishop » Fri May 11, 2012 2:35 pm

:)
Current:

Former:

EdwardBishop

PreviousNext

Return to General