Hosianism Development Project

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Hosianism Development Project

Postby Martinulus » Mon May 07, 2012 10:08 pm

I thought we might want to split off from the main Religion Retcon thread so as to not clutter that thread while we debate the specifics of Hosianism. We might be the largest and coolest religion on Terra, but we're not important enough to hijack a thread on the Religion Retcon with purely Hosian discussions.

The Creed of Hosianism (still to be named, possibly the Aurorian Creed) is currently as follows:

We believe in one God, Almighty Father to Us All,
Who created Terra and Caelum, all that is visible and invisible,
(Who led Ehud to Holy Yishelem, and shielded his people.)

And we believe in one Lord, Eliyahu Hosios,
Pure and Holy Spirit of God,
Created with Terra before all ages,
Announced through prophesy,
Holy Word of God,
through the virgin Sarahea in man incarnate,
Who is light to our world,
True servant of the one true God,

Who called us, the Pious, to follow His word,
And was exiled to the desert by vengeful man,
Who, persecuted even in exile,
Strengthened His resolve, and did His duty,
Even in the face of death.
For forty days did He pray in His despair,
And then ascended into heaven.
And on the third day He did descend to hell to bear our sins.
Returned triumphant, then disappeared into Hiding,
According to scripture.

Who, with divine Grace,
Sent to us the Light of God,
Which illuminated His Word to the prophets of old,
To remain with us to light the way,
And give us strength to believe,
In memory of those who came before,

We believe that he has life eternal,
And that at the end of times,
He shall return to judge living and dead,
To be Saviour of Terra,
And that His Kingdom shall continue,
In time and eternity.

Until such a time, we hold true to His teachings,
Hear and live His Annunciation,
In the Community of the Pious,
One holy, apostolic and ecumenical Church,
We acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins,
In the hope that we shall live again,
In life eternal.

Amen.

And an attempt to translate the credo into Latin, which is bound to give some errors because I had no dictionary handy.
Credo in unum Deum, omnipotentem Patrem omnium,
Caeli et Terrae factor, et omnium visibilium et invisibilium.
(Qui adiuvat Ehude ad Sanctum Yisheleum, et populus eius protegit.)

Et in unum Dominum, Eliahum Hosium,
Purum et Sanctum Spiritum Dei,
Factus est ante omnia saecula cum Terrae,
Et annunciatus per prophetas,
Sanctum Verbum Dei,
Ex Sarahaeae Virgine in hominem incarnatus,
Qui est lumen terrae nobis,
Verus servus de verum Deum.

Qui Piis vocavit per sequi verbum Eius,
Et effugatus est per hominibus impios in desolationem,
Qui, persecutus in exilium,
Fortificavit resolutionem, et officium fecit,
Etiam in mortui periculo,
Quadraginta oravit in desperationem.
Et ascendit in caelis,
Et descindit in infernum tertium die per tollere peccata nostra.
Triumphans rediit, et disapparavit in Occultum.

Qui, per gratiam divam,
Misit per nostrum lumen Dei.
Qui illuminatus est verbi nostri per prophetas,
Ut nobis remanere et illuminare viam,
Et donare nobis resolutio in fidem,
In memoriam precedentes.

Credo Eliahus vivat in aeternam,
Et íterum ventúrus est post tempore,
Iudicáre vivos et mórtuos,
Essere salvatorem Terrae,
Cuius regni continuabit in saeculo saeculorum.

Donec accepto in veritatem doctrinarum eius,
Audiam et viviam Annunciatio eius,
In communio Piorum,
Unam, sanctam, oecumenicam et apostólicam Ecclésiam.
Confiteor unum baptismam per remissionem peccatorum,
In expectationem vivam novam,
In saeculo saecolorum.

Amen.

The equivalent of sacraments (also known as Sacrifices) as they currently stand (still open for discussion) seems to be as follows at the moment:

1. Baptism (Sacrifice of Water)
2. Revelation (Sacrifice of Gratitude): equivalent of the Eucharist
3. Illumination (Sacrifice of Light): similar to confirmation.
4. Vocation (Sacrifice of Piety): consecration of priests
5. Marriage (Sacrifice of Love)
6. Remission (Sacrifice of Purity): Similar to confession
7. Burial (Last Sacrifice, Sacrifice of Memory)
Last edited by Martinulus on Tue May 08, 2012 9:20 am, edited 6 times in total.
Hosianisch-Demokratisches Verbund - Hulstria and Gao-Soto

Notable previous parties:
Folkepartiet (People's Party) - Kazulia
Martinulus

Re: Hosianism Development Project

Postby Martinulus » Mon May 07, 2012 10:45 pm

A proposal for further colouring in the sacrifices:

The Holy Sacrifices of the Hosian Church are the centerpiece of the faith, although not all Sacrifices are accepted in all churches (the Independent Churches typically accepting only those grounded explictly in Scripture while the Patriarchal Churches accept the full slate). Although derived from the word in its original meaning, "Sacrifice" is, theologically, distinct from "sacrifice" (as in the offering of goods to God), and is translated differently into different languages (Sacrificie instead of Opfer in German, Sacrificie instead of offer in Dutch, et cetera). In traditional Hosianism, there are seven Sacrifices from cradle to grave.

Sacrifices of Initiation

1. H. Sacrifice of Water (Baptism)
It is said in scripture (OOC: note that where names are in brackets, they need to be replaced, and that ELYON is likely to be replaced by the LORD, depending on whether the Ehudists are forbidden to speak the name of their God.):
From the Prophet Joshua wrote:Those who wander in the desert hear the promise of new life.
This says ELYON our God: "I shall send unto you water, forever to bind you to me.
Those who partake of it shall be blessed with life where there once was death.
Then they shall know that I am ELYON, their God."
Hark, a stream is roaring in the midst of the desert,
Calling us to wash away death and drink of eternal life.
When the Pious one shall soon come to save the people - so speaks ELYON.

The Ehudists believe that this prophecy is yet to be fulfilled when in exile, our God shall bestow upon them water. But Hosians know that this is not so, for it is written in the Annunciation of Our Lord Eliyahu Hosios according to Julius:
Annunciation according to Julius, book 1 wrote:In that time, a man named Matthias walked in the desert,
He wore no priestly gown nor a crown of gold, but his heart was pure beneath the raw cloth of his clothing.
One day, men came to seek him out, for his piousness and devotion to God were well-known.
And they asked of him: "Art thou the Pious one?"
And Matthias answered: "I am not the Pious one. I am the stream, roaring in the midst of the desert,
as foretold by the Prophet Joshua, calling to wash away death and drink of eternal life."
The men were parched, and asked for water, for they had wandered long and were weary
but Matthias told them: "This water is not for the drinking of the body, but for the drinking of the soul,
By this sacrifice of water, may your sins be cleansed for the coming of the Pious one."
And the men understood this was so, and submitted themselves to Matthias,
Who baptised them in the name of God and Spirit.
It was late in the evening when Matthias baptised them, and when he did so,
As by miracle, a shining light appeared above the water,
and the men felt cleansed and free of thirst, for they had partaken of life eternal.
And when the word spread, many a man came to him to be baptised.

In Hosianism, almost all of the Faithful are administered the Holy Sacrifice of Water soon after their birth, by which they attain a state of grace sufficient for the administration of the Last Holy Sacrifice, a Hosian burial. The Holy Sacrifice of Water is universally acknowledged to be valid by all mainstream Hosian Churches as long as it is correctly administered, for the Lord says that it will forever bind the Faithful to Him, creating an inerasable mark on the soul, cleansed from sin. Catechumens to Hosianism are baptised, illuminated and receive their first Holy Sacrifice of Gratitude together as the full initiation rites.

The proper formula for the Sacrifice of Water is that consecrated water is poured or in some other way sprinkled upon the head of the faithful, while speaking the formula as follows: "With this Sacrifice of Water, I baptise thee in the name of God and Spirit." The addition of "into the Community of the Pious", which features in some rites, does not impact upon the proper administration of the formula as long as the Sacrifice is administered in the name of God and Spirit.

The liturgy before the Holy Sacrifice of Water often consists of the consecration of the water to be used on the Altar by pouring some of it over the Altar into the a special Sacrificial Font, with the words: "Lord Our God, bless this our Sacrifice of Water, that it may cleanse this child/these children of sin, and grant him/her/them a new life in you, through Hosios our Lord, who in Spirit lives with Thee in eternity, Amen." Before the Sacrifice of Water is administered, the parents of the child in the case of a child baptism or the catechumen himself in the case of adult baptism, are asked to take vows affirming their faith.
Last edited by Martinulus on Tue May 08, 2012 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Martinulus

Postby meritocracy » Tue May 08, 2012 2:38 pm

With a different history spanning centuries, the Theognosian Church has developed different terms for some things though it does adhere to a three-part triune godhead composed of:
Monad: The Creator, The Omnipotend Omniscient Father
Sotor: The Son, First Creation and Savior to All Created
Pneuma: The Active Divine Force
meritocracy

Postby Martinulus » Tue May 08, 2012 3:07 pm

Hosianism is not trinitarian though. As I understand it, it's binitarian, which is what the credo reflects.

I'd personally ask you to consider to make your religion binitarian as well.

Martinulus

Postby meritocracy » Tue May 08, 2012 5:21 pm

I am afraid the schism was deeper than it appeared, at first.
meritocracy

Postby Martinulus » Tue May 08, 2012 5:33 pm

Deeper, yes, but I based the Credo on what I read about Hosianism from Polites (and Polites later accepted it as the Hosian Credo). There are a few objections I have:

- It is rather unrealistic for a Church which claims to continue the one true Apostolic Church to have beliefs contrary to the Creed that was sort of the founding document of that Apostolic Church without adhering to some other later prophet, which would make them incompatible with mainstream Hosianism.
- The beliefs are contrary to the Creed in two ways. First of all, the Creed explicitly states that God is two, God and Eliyahu (which is based on the description given by Polites), one cannot simply invent a third divine personality. Second, if a third divine personality was invented, it cannot be called "pneuma" (translated as breath or wind) because the agency of God in the world is believed to operate through the Light of God (which is not a personality, but an instrument, but even if it was), not "breath". I argue that the Light of God is more original, seeing as "wind" would be too much like the Holy Ghost in Christianity.

If Polites agrees, I could see us personifying the Light to accomodate you guys and make God a trinity, but we cannot call it pneuma because pneuma implies spirit or wind which is already personified in Eliyahu.

I say this with all due respect to your creativity, but if your point is to maintain Theognosianism as it was before the retcon and/or the construction of Hosianism (I'm not an expert on when the change to Theognosianism was made) and make it Hosian, then I think we need to make some changes to accommodate eachother.

Martinulus

Postby Polites » Tue May 08, 2012 6:41 pm

Well, if the Theognosians are adamant about having a trinitarian God (although I don't think any particularly theological reason was behind the schism), then the Light of God would indeed make more sense. It would also go very well with the Feast of Illumination and the Sacrifice of Light. But overall, I would suggest all versions of Hosianism agree to a set of core beliefs, at least the name and nature of the Godhead. Otherwise, they would be different religions.

Also, very good work, Martinulus. I think the Sacrifices are great the way you suggest them. About the "Biblical" passages, I would suggest Joshua (Yehoshua) for Isaiah, and Matthew (Mattitiyahu) for John.
Polites

Postby meritocracy » Tue May 08, 2012 6:56 pm

In the case of Christianity there are and have been non-trinitarian sects and others. Even now there are "Christianities" such as Nestorians who have views are wildly different. Likewise the names of the deities are not necessarily the same. I beleive the name of God in the Syriac church is Allahu, for instance.

But yes, it is something to think about. There may need to be a synod if this retcon is going to work. It can't be one person or even one group's ideas.
meritocracy

Postby LNRulez01 » Tue May 08, 2012 7:29 pm

meritocracy wrote:In the case of Christianity there are and have been non-trinitarian sects and others. Even now there are "Christianities" such as Nestorians who have views are wildly different. Likewise the names of the deities are not necessarily the same. I believe the name of God in the Syriac church is Allahu, for instance.

That has to do with the dominant religion in the region, Islam. It is common in the Islamic world that Christians and Jews refer to God as Allah. This is not only the case in the Arab world, but also in Indonesia and Malaysia.
- It is the rule in war, if ten times the enemy's strength, surround them; if five times, attack them; if double, be able to divide them; if equal,engage them; if fewer, be able to evade them; if weaker, be able to avoid them.

Sun Tzu, 6th century BC
LNRulez01

Postby Polites » Tue May 08, 2012 7:41 pm

meritocracy wrote:But yes, it is something to think about. There may need to be a synod if this retcon is going to work. It can't be one person or even one group's ideas.

A synod might be a very good idea, I'm in on it.
Polites

Next

Return to General