Unrealistic RP

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Unrealistic RP

Postby Liu Che/Zhuli » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:28 am

So, seeing as how there have been a couple RPs going on, mainly in Majatra and Dovani, I have taken a look at some past RPs and realized how unrealistic some of them were. Even the current RPs going on now lack some sense of realism. I guess my main question is, do you all feel that RP has been unrealistic throughout the history of Particracy? If so, should something be done about it?
Liu Che/Zhuli

Re: Unrealistic RP

Postby Zanz » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:36 am

I couldn't agree more. I have worked in the past to bring realism to RP in Solentia and in other places where I have played, especially in regards to the underdeveloped economic aspect of the game. Budgets, at current, are abused and not RPed realistically, and militaries (indeed, whole nations) are not RPed realistically as a result. The Economic Protocols, while a step in the right direction, were a far cry from what I'd heard they might include when they first began discussion. I believe we need to encourage realism in Particracy for the sake of eliminating godmodding and wank. I'd be willing to write something up based on what I heard of the original plan for economic regulation from Darvian long ago.
Just a bunch of shit.
Zanz

Postby Siggon Kristov » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:49 am

According to the player leading things in Solentia now, the Karav Dynasty is launching an attack on Solentia, despite it only being less than 5% of the size of Solentia's maximum possible military size. Did I consent to this? No. I'll blow it off as just IC propaganda for now, but it looks like a foundation for god-moding.

--

What this thread does remind me of is military strength. I don't think size should be the only factor in wars. I think there should also be:
- Culture (Defence Budget % of GDP + fanatical militarists faction %)
- Equipment & Funding (Defence Budget + One Tenth of Science/Technology Budget + One Tenth of Infrastructure/Transport Budget)

That's just a line of thought; they aren't specific suggestions.
Apart from the actual amount of money, the percentage should play a role when it comes on to the political culture of the nation.

For example, North Korea has a low GDP, but a significant percentage of it is spent on its military; even though its military is likely weak technologically, its culture is at least something we can pay attention to. Japan has a much higher GDP, but a very small percentage of it is spent on its military, and its military is well-funded.
Culture not important enough? A good example is the Vikings. Their equipment wasn't the best, but their fighting spirit made them feared.

I could pop all this in a spreadsheet/calculator when they're decided. Nothing complex, I promise.
Check out my latest Particracy project, and feel free to discuss it in the forums.
Siggon Kristov

Postby JuliaAJA » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:49 am

Siggon Kristov wrote:- Culture (Defence Budget % of GDP + fanatical militarists faction %)
- Equipment & Funding (Defence Budget + One Tenth of Science/Technology Budget + One Tenth of Infrastructure/Transport Budget)

I have been using a similar concept for Cildania's military power.
Joined Particracy on: December 18, 2008
Click here for my versions of Siggon's spreadsheets.
JuliaAJA

Postby Siggon Kristov » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:28 pm

Jessaveryja wrote:
Siggon Kristov wrote:- Culture (Defence Budget % of GDP + fanatical militarists faction %)

I have been using a similar concept for Cildania's military power.

Cool.
There should be a world ranking - using a standard to compare and rank all the nations.
Check out my latest Particracy project, and feel free to discuss it in the forums.
Siggon Kristov

Return to General