Nuclear powers

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: Nuclear powers

Postby EEL123 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:53 pm

Khaler wrote:
Siggon Kristov wrote:
Khaler wrote:only the "I want to win"-people need stats and stuff.

Not really.
By the way I RP in Gaduridos and Beluzia, both nations are terribly weak, and the stats will reflect that.

I think your perspective is really that all the "I'm afraid of losing"-people are afraid to see stats and stuff.
We're not making or enforcing any rules, and we're not trying to regulate anyone's RP. There really needs to be no whining about us doing our index stuff. You're trying to say they're about pre-determining the outcome of wars; that's not true. We just want to do them for the sake of maybe economic RP, or something else to put in the wiki. Every nation expecting to be the best... It's not going to work.

Yeah, and that is great as long as using it is voluntary. Hell, even I might use it for some stuff, I don't know. I have no issue with NPI, but this is what I have problems with:
"Maybe we could use the NPI. Any country under a certain score shouldn't have nukes, unless they have a very good explanation."

I reckon that if you have a low score, you shouldn't have nukes (apart from maybe a couple of crappy ones). But, if you really object, I can't do very much to enforce it. In the end, unless we get the mods in (this is not a recommendation), everything is voluntary in Particracy.
House of Razama
EEL123

Postby Farsun » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Dorvik, despite it's international conception that it is a small powerful military power, will not have nuclear weapons. I think in-game they are just dumb.
Dorvish Social Nationalist Party
OOC Administrator of the Artanian Union & Bureaucrat of the Particracy Wiki
Farsun

Postby EEL123 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:22 pm

Farsun wrote:Dorvik, despite it's international conception that it is a small powerful military power, will not have nuclear weapons. I think in-game they are just dumb.

I know of no occasion when nukes have been used (although I haven't been here long, just several RL months, so you may remember a nuclear war), but they are more a national pride thing. You know, the buzz you get when your national leaders declare "XYZ is now a nuclear state. Don't screw with us!". Sure, nuclear weapons are useless in practice, but then so are most of the other laws. Banning abortion won't increase your population. Introducing the death penalty won't reduce crime rates (although whether it does in RL is disputed too).
House of Razama
EEL123

Postby Farsun » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:09 am

They've been used a half or so dozen times and have literally forced people to leave the game because of ridiculous fights that have ensued. I know personally that if you are a member of OTAF and want nuclear weapons, you'd need to petition me before you can have them.
Dorvish Social Nationalist Party
OOC Administrator of the Artanian Union & Bureaucrat of the Particracy Wiki
Farsun

Postby EEL123 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:12 am

Farsun wrote:They've been used a half or so dozen times and have literally forced people to leave the game because of ridiculous fights that have ensued. I know personally that if you are a member of OTAF and want nuclear weapons, you'd need to petition me before you can have them.

Tell me more! Can you show me the links to the relevant threads where people got nuked?

But back on topic, I think that OTAF members shouldn't have to consult you on whether or not they can have nukes. Rather, we should ask for your permission before using them (chances are you'll say no, right?).
House of Razama
EEL123

Postby Afrocentric » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:29 pm

EEL123 wrote:
Farsun wrote:Dorvik, despite it's international conception that it is a small powerful military power, will not have nuclear weapons. I think in-game they are just dumb.

I know of no occasion when nukes have been used (although I haven't been here long, just several RL months, so you may remember a nuclear war), but they are more a national pride thing. You know, the buzz you get when your national leaders declare "XYZ is now a nuclear state. Don't screw with us!". Sure, nuclear weapons are useless in practice, but then so are most of the other laws. Banning abortion won't increase your population. Introducing the death penalty won't reduce crime rates (although whether it does in RL is disputed too).

It happened to me when Beluzia went to war with Rutania back in the 3200s, granted his entire post reeked of godmodding so I just chose to ignore everything except for the part about chemical weapons. In the end, we won the war, but this post almost caused me to leave the game:

dawkinsb wrote:BELUZIA AND RUTANIA GO TO WAR!

BREAKING NEWS: WAR DECLARED:

The Supreme National Council of Beluzia has officially approved the declaration of War with Rutania.

The majority party would only say that "we need to go to war".

An immediate nuclear attack on the Northern Rutanian cities was launched. Bozarburg, Karlsdorf, Klausenburg, Spaak and the capital Port Nelson as well as former capital Hayek were hit with the largest and most destructive of the Beluzian nuclear stockpile in the opening moments of the war. Other cities including Newtonia, Wellington and Faradafry were hit with biological weapons with the ability to wipe out entire populations.

As well as this, reports indicate the entire Beluzian armed forces, including the army, navy and airforce, have crossed the border to the North and have begun their attempt at controlling Rutania. Witnesses indicate Delvar has essentially fallen to Beluzian control, stronger defences having not been in place in time.

Military experts have noted that the Beluzian forces seem to be going all out to destroy and control what is left.

More to come....

Urban Party of Kirlawa, Kirlawa - Inactive
Democratic Reform Party, Talmoria - Inactive
Labour Party, Saridan - Inactive
Urban Party of Rutania, Rutania - Inactive

http://www.soundcloud.com/djtechnotikofficial
Afrocentric

Postby Amazeroth » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:50 pm

EEL123 wrote:
Farsun wrote:They've been used a half or so dozen times and have literally forced people to leave the game because of ridiculous fights that have ensued. I know personally that if you are a member of OTAF and want nuclear weapons, you'd need to petition me before you can have them.

Tell me more! Can you show me the links to the relevant threads where people got nuked?

Hutori got completely nuked once - way back when a civil war erupted between communists and the rest, and the comintern brigades marched in to subdue the whole country. There are no links anymore because this happened in the days of the old forum. And the amazing thing is that that RP was never argued against, although Hutori was invaded by outside parties against its own will, and there was no outside cooperation between the players at all.
Eines Tages traf Karl der Große eine alte Frau.
"Guten Tag, alte Frau", sagte Karl der Große.
"Guten Tag, Karl der Große", sagte die alte Frau.
Solche und ähnliche Geschichten erzählt man sich über die Leutseligkeit Karls des Großen.
Amazeroth

Postby Khaler » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:35 pm

Darnussia has been nuked atleast 3 times, first by the Deltarian invaders in 2323, then by a crazy dictator in 2600's and by Keymon few hundred years ago. Now even I have to agree that Keymon having nukes was, well, pretty unrealistic as they had been pacifist country for centuries prior to that. Maybe if they had been given the nukes by someone else (like their ally, Hutori) it would have been better, but I was on a hiatus back then so I was not involved in it and all players agreed to it. The first two incidents were heavily RP'd for centuries with long lasting effects (there was a 100-year era of anarchy and revolutions after the 2nd for example), the third not so much.
Be on your OLD GUARD, stand firm in the faith!
-1 Selucians 16:13
Khaler

Location: Great Democratic Republic of Khaleristan, a member of the caring and loving Russian Federation!

Previous

Return to General