LOD vs real-world currencies

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

LOD vs real-world currencies

Postby EEL123 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:19 am

What is the LOD worth relative to real-world currencies such as the USD? Lodamun's GDP is 281357562580 LOD, and given that most countries have fairly similar GDPs, and that 281357562580 * 58 = 16318738629640, we could say that the world GDP is roughly 16 trillion LOD. In the real world, the total GDP is 70 trillion USD. So, assuming that the Terran economy is of a similar size to the real one, I would say that 1 LOD = 4.4 USD. What do you think?
House of Razama
EEL123

Re: LOD vs real-world currencies

Postby EEL123 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:21 am

BTW, for reference, based on the reasoning above, most countries would have a GDP roughly equal to that of Australia (where, incidentally, I live, not that you would care), which is slightly more than that of South Korea and Mexico, and slight less than that of Spain.
House of Razama
EEL123

Postby Mr.Yankees » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:26 pm

Frankly, we can make it whatever we want it to be, it's just a matter of people agreeing to it. I would not go necessarily by the current GDP as it would fluctuate depending on spending and taxation level. Unfortunately, the game's economic system is rudimentary and there are ways to increase GDP that wouldn't be possible in real life. Also keep in mind we don't have as many countries here as in the real world.

I say make it 1 LOD = $3. The reason I go with that number is because it avoids the inevitable comment: "why do you think Lodamun's economy is as large as the United States?" and it's a simple multiplier for everyone to remember.

Do you see what I'm saying?
Fighting for the people, supported by the people.
Mr.Yankees

Postby EEL123 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:45 pm

Mr.Yankees wrote:I say make it 1 LOD = $3. The reason I go with that number is because it avoids the inevitable comment: "why do you think Lodamun's economy is as large as the United States?"
No, I was comparing world GDP to Terran GDP, which means that while the world has the same GDP as Terra, countries have a more equal distribution. So Lodamun would have a GDP equivalent to one-fifteenth of the US's GDP.
House of Razama
EEL123

Postby JuliaAJA » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:48 am

EEL123 wrote:
Mr.Yankees wrote:I say make it 1 LOD = $3. The reason I go with that number is because it avoids the inevitable comment: "why do you think Lodamun's economy is as large as the United States?"
No, I was comparing world GDP to Terran GDP, which means that while the world has the same GDP as Terra, countries have a more equal distribution. So Lodamun would have a GDP equivalent to one-fifteenth of the US's GDP.

I like that idea very much.
Joined Particracy on: December 18, 2008
Click here for my versions of Siggon's spreadsheets.
JuliaAJA

Return to General