We need less Presidents and Prime Ministers!

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: We need less Presidents and Prime Ministers!

Postby EgeDoruk » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:59 am

Presidency will be unifying position, no real power, just ceremonial. Lodamun will be federacy and federacies need unifying figure. I am working on a bill that will give significant power to states. If your problem is just with title of President, offer me a better one and I will replace it.
''I never dared to be radical when young
For fear it would make me conservative when old.''
Robert Frost

EgeDoruk

Postby Afrocentric » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:52 pm

Honestly, I like what I've done in Rutania. The President and Prime Minister co-lead the executive branch and have a limited set of powers. I've never been a fan of the ceremonial HOS w/ the HOG having all of the power, it just seems weird to me.

Urban Party of Kirlawa, Kirlawa - Inactive
Democratic Reform Party, Talmoria - Inactive
Labour Party, Saridan - Inactive
Urban Party of Rutania, Rutania - Inactive

http://www.soundcloud.com/djtechnotikofficial
Afrocentric

Postby Siggon Kristov » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:17 am

Afrocentric wrote:Honestly, I like what I've done in Rutania. The President and Prime Minister co-lead the executive branch and have a limited set of powers. I've never been a fan of the ceremonial HOS w/ the HOG having all of the power, it just seems weird to me.

Especially when the HoS has the title "President" and is expected to do something... That's why I had "President" as the HoG and something else as the HoS. I think the President/PM pair fits Rutania enough, but it doesn't mean that 21 other nations need to have it.

EgeDoruk wrote:Presidency will be unifying position, no real power, just ceremonial.Lodamun will be federacy and federacies need unifying figure.

Please don't come with this federacy crap; in a federacy, only a few local governments have power while some are more dependent on the central government. In a federacy, not all local governments have equal control over their own affairs. Some would have power devolved to them while some wouldn't. If you were referring to a federation or confederation, I want you to pay attention to Switzerland. Who is the single unifying figure of Switzerland?

EgeDoruk wrote:I am working on a bill that will give significant power to states. If your problem is just with title of President, offer me a better one and I will replace it.

Again, a federacy doesn't allow all states to have significant powers. A federacy devolves powers to some states and keeps some under the control of the central government. A good example would be the Beluz Union, where there were 6 states. 1 state (Iliathar) had almost no powers devolved to them. 4 states had significant powers devolved to them. 1 state (Keymon) had all powers devolved to them. This was asymmetrical federation, a real federacy. A symmetrical federation, where all local governments have the same amount of power devolved to them, isn't a federacy.
I don't see a problem with the title of "Chairman" - a title like "President" will cause the HoG to be overshadowed. Also, a single "Gubernatorial Congress" headed by a single "Governor of the 5 nations" doesn't imply federalism at all. Why do we need 2 figures for unification? Why can't there just be 5 Governors and 1 President? Or 5 Presidents and a President-General or Chairman?
Check out my latest Particracy project, and feel free to discuss it in the forums.
Siggon Kristov

Postby MichaelReilly » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:13 pm

NEWS ALERT!

Darnussia becomes latest in line of countries to have a President and Chancellor combination.

Even more alarmingly, the new state is called the Republic of Darnussia.

Hooray for realism!

:lol:
Down with this sort of thing
MichaelReilly

Postby Khaler » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:31 pm

MichaelReilly wrote:NEWS ALERT!

Darnussia becomes latest in line of countries to have a President and Chancellor combination.

Hooray for realism!

I have 1/3, so nuh. ;)

But a rebel government trying to take over, sure why not.
Be on your OLD GUARD, stand firm in the faith!
-1 Selucians 16:13
Khaler

Location: Great Democratic Republic of Khaleristan, a member of the caring and loving Russian Federation!

Postby MichaelReilly » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:48 pm

Khaler wrote:
MichaelReilly wrote:NEWS ALERT!

Hooray for realism!

I have 1/3, so nuh. ;)

But a rebel government trying to take over, sure why not.

Better start your fightback boyo. 8-)
Down with this sort of thing
MichaelReilly

Postby Siggon Kristov » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:44 pm

Afrocentric wrote:
Siggon Kristov wrote:
Dynastia wrote:If people can't directly elect their president, it's not a true democracy. It's oligarchy.

It's still an interesting system, and in a nation with a lot of parties (like Dranland), it could work well.

They're too boring to try that. They prefer posting 15 articles a day about their President; not their oligarchy.

Lodamun reverted to a conventional/typical/generic/boring Democracy; after about 300 years of having a unique system, they chose to have a President and Prime Minister like too many other countries in Terra.
Check out my latest Particracy project, and feel free to discuss it in the forums.
Siggon Kristov

Postby Aquinas » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:23 pm

One day I just know a Particracy member is going to go onto Change.org and launch a petition against there being too many Presidents and Prime Ministers in the real world...!

But on a more serious note, it is worth adding that section 10 of the Rules of the Game presents players with all sorts of opportunities for interesting constitutional innovations. Constitutional RP law bills can be passed with a 2/3rds majority, and they will be recognised by Moderation as legally-binding. Siggon is the process of introducing a system in Ibutho where there is a 1 party state, and the players RP factions within that party (see here). Indrala also has a slightly different Faction System, where parties are banned but players can RP factions representing specific groups in society.

Systems like these are not for everybody, of course, but for those who want to experiment, the new rules really do allow a lot of scope for that.
Aquinas

Postby Zongxian » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:38 pm

Aquinas wrote:One day I just know a Particracy member is going to go onto Change.org and launch a petition against there being too many Presidents and Prime Ministers in the real world...!

But on a more serious note, it is worth adding that section 10 of the Rules of the Game presents players with all sorts of opportunities for interesting constitutional innovations. Constitutional RP law bills can be passed with a 2/3rds majority, and they will be recognised by Moderation as legally-binding. Siggon is the process of introducing a system in Ibutho where there is a 1 party state, and the players RP factions within that party (see here). Indrala also has a slightly different Faction System, where parties are banned but players can RP factions representing specific groups in society.

Systems like these are not for everybody, of course, but for those who want to experiment, the new rules really do allow a lot of scope for that.

So RP constitutional law can enforce faction systems and intraparty democracies? Interesting. I remember doing the whole intraparty democracy thing with Kyodae, but I managed it myself and never made RP law enforcing it if others joined the nation.
Zongxian

Postby Siggon Kristov » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:46 pm

Zongxian wrote:
Aquinas wrote:One day I just know a Particracy member is going to go onto Change.org and launch a petition against there being too many Presidents and Prime Ministers in the real world...!

So RP constitutional law can enforce faction systems and intraparty democracies? Interesting. I remember doing the whole intraparty democracy thing with Kyodae, but I managed it myself and never made RP law enforcing it if others joined the nation.

Likewise, it was not hard coercion or the threat of Moderation intervention that got players in Beluzia to comply with that complex thing I had set up, but it still helps that Moderation is deciding to do this for sensible RP. Imagine if 7 players were in a nation, all going along with a certain RP thing, and then someone just joined and invalidated the RP by not giving consent.
Siggon Kristov

PreviousNext

Return to General