Pax Cynica - Amendment Proposals

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Pax Cynica - Amendment Proposals

Postby EEL123 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:34 am

What would you like added to or removed from the Pax Cynica? I personally think that it's a horrible, unwieldy institution that needs massive trimming.
House of Razama
EEL123

Re: Pax Cynica - Amendment Proposals

Postby GreekIdiot » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:07 pm

EEL123 wrote:I personally think that it's a horrible, unwieldy institution that needs massive trimming.

That ain't much to start with. You're giving the impression that you have no clue about Pax Cynica, never dedicated time to it, but nevertheless don't like it and wish to change it, but without any clue of what to do. Or you're simply bored at researching a bit and want people to dedicate time to your topic either way or another, since a negative or positive response won't matter to you - cause "darling, i tried" is in place for you.
The Terran Times
Also being that guy who's pretending to be this guy.
GreekIdiot

Postby Mr.Yankees » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:40 pm

I would not mess with George over the few days. He is on fire!
Fighting for the people, supported by the people.
Mr.Yankees

Postby EEL123 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:52 pm

GreekIdiot wrote:That ain't much to start with.
If you have not noticed in my off-topic threads, I tend to shut up and wait for other people to talk first. Nevertheless, if you object to my relative silence, I will talk.

1) (2.2.1) Shorten the inactivity time before a party is killed. Four or five days in enough. Many people will agree that the seven-day limit is irritating.
2) (3, 8.2.3, 9.6.1, 9.6.4) Real-world names, ideologies, etc. shouldn't be banned. Sure, Particracy is not the real world, but there is no damage.
3) (4.1.4.2; 4.3.4) What's wrong with strong language? It doesn't hurt anyone. People swear all the time, and nobody, as far as I know, has died from it.
4) (4.1.5 - 4.1.7, 9.1) Our egos and self-images don't need protection. So what if there are a few personal attacks? It should only be banned if it satisfies 4.1.4.3.
5) (5.3.2) If there is consensus to enforce a law, custodial sentences can be ridiculous if that's the law. Characters should be able to be shot if agreed.
6) (5.3.8, 6.1.1) If you agree to an RP, you're in. It's irritating when people start pulling out. An exception, though, for 9.5 offences, or where it degenerates into 4.1.4.3.
7) (6.2.3) Why? They've agreed. It's not like it's godmodding.
8) (6.3.4, 6.3.7, 9.5.3) Many nations declare war in contravention of international treaties. Provided that the other participants agree, break them for all I care.
9) (6.5.3.4, 6.5.3.5) There's no reason for these regulations. If you want to be in charge, nominate yourself.
10) (6.9.3) Provided that the copied item is reasonable in the context, there's no reason to ban it.

There. Happy?
House of Razama
EEL123

Postby Mr.Yankees » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:10 pm

Why do you need to attack a player personally and use foul language? Can you nor communicate like regular folks do? Let's be honest, the moderators won't chastise you if you use a couple of f-bombs and I couldn't care less but if it becomes a pattern, it's annoying and rude.
Mr.Yankees

Postby Zanz » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:13 pm

EEL123 wrote:1) (2.2.1) Shorten the inactivity time before a party is killed. Four or five days in enough. Many people will agree that the seven-day limit is irritating.

Won't happen, and shouldn't happen, in my opinion. Generally, yes, people can keep their parties active over the course of 3-5 days. But there are cases, from my own life, where I get busy with school work, real life, etc. People should not be punished for being busy. Yes, sometimes the old and less active parties tend to hinder RP, but at the same time it is important to bear in mind that some of those inactive parties have contributed a lot to this game. My generation is getting older and busier, but we still want to play. Don't punish us for that.

EEL123 wrote:2) (3, 8.2.3, 9.6.1, 9.6.4) Real-world names, ideologies, etc. shouldn't be banned. Sure, Particracy is not the real world, but there is no damage.

Seems silly to take issue with this. How hard is it to throw some random names up? And I don't even want to go into the whole issue we had very recently over the naming of religions, etc. But this rule makes sense. There was no Jesus Christ on Terra, there can be no "Christianity" derived from his name.

EEL123 wrote:3) (4.1.4.2; 4.3.4) What's wrong with strong language? It doesn't hurt anyone. People swear all the time, and nobody, as far as I know, has died from it.

IC swearing has always been allowed, so long as it is not the basis of a party, so to speak. And OOC swearing is rare. When has this ever been an issue? It's a political game. You've got to have some guidelines or everything will be a flamewar.

EEL123 wrote:4) (4.1.5 - 4.1.7, 9.1) Our egos and self-images don't need protection. So what if there are a few personal attacks? It should only be banned if it satisfies 4.1.4.3.

Seriously, I see no point to your complaints with these rules. You're basically complaining about it being written down, from what I can gather? Maybe you don't mind if someone is disrespectful to you, but there are those who do, and you should respect that.

EEL123 wrote:5) (5.3.2) If there is consensus to enforce a law, custodial sentences can be ridiculous if that's the law. Characters should be able to be shot if agreed.

I don't understand this rule or your complaint with it completely, but from what I understand, what you're saying is possible through RP...

EEL123 wrote:6) (5.3.8, 6.1.1) If you agree to an RP, you're in. It's irritating when people start pulling out. An exception, though, for 9.5 offences, or where it degenerates into 4.1.4.3.

So you're doing away with rules for most things, but now you want the rules to enforce players staying in an RP that they no longer consent to?

EEL123 wrote:7) (6.2.3) Why? They've agreed. It's not like it's godmodding.

Could be godmodding. Parties A and B agree to numbers, then invade Party C, who did not agree. Essentially, this rule protects the Rildanor Accords, from my understanding.

EEL123 wrote:10) (6.9.3) Provided that the copied item is reasonable in the context, there's no reason to ban it.

Can't seem to find the article you're citing. Mistype?
Just a bunch of shit.
Zanz

Postby EEL123 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:21 pm

Zanz wrote:There was no Jesus Christ on Terra, there can be no "Christianity" derived from his name.
Taken to the logical extreme, there may not even be intelligent life on Terra. Let us RP as rocks.

Zanz wrote:But there are cases, from my own life, where I get busy with school work, real life, etc.
Well then deactivate and re-activate when you're free again. Otherwise, it gets in the way.

Zanz wrote:Maybe you don't mind if someone is disrespectful to you, but there are those who do, and you should respect that.
Well, if emotional damage is involved, fine. But seriously, the cases requiring intervention should be reduced.

Zanz wrote:I don't understand this rule or your complaint with it completely, but from what I understand, what you're saying is possible through RP...
Pretty much.

Zanz wrote:So you're doing away with rules for most things, but now you want the rules to enforce players staying in an RP that they no longer consent to?
Some unreasonable rules exist. Some reasonable rules don't. Just because I like to cut doesn't mean that I'm not allowed to add. If you pull out of an RP, that is in a sense a "breach of contract", if you will, with the other participants.

Zanz wrote:Could be godmodding. Parties A and B agree to numbers, then invade Party C, who did not agree. Essentially, this rule protects the Rildanor Accords, from my understanding.
I mean everyone agreeing to the numbers, not just a handful of them.

Zanz wrote:Can't seem to find the article you're citing. Mistype?
Try 9.6.3.
House of Razama
EEL123

Postby Zanz » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:35 pm

EEL123 wrote:
Zanz wrote:There was no Jesus Christ on Terra, there can be no "Christianity" derived from his name.
Taken to the logical extreme, there may not even be intelligent life on Terra. Let us RP as rocks.

No, we know there is intelligent life on Terra; it's who we're playing as.

EEL123 wrote:
Zanz wrote:But there are cases, from my own life, where I get busy with school work, real life, etc.
Well then deactivate and re-activate when you're free again. Otherwise, it gets in the way.

And let my work be scuttled by nation raiders and adolescents with nothing better to do after 3:00 PM than destroy something beautiful? No. I am still playing; I can still defend my work. If my definition of "playing" is different than your, then I'm sorry, but the vast majority of the game does not take place on the forum, anyway. RP is nice, but the RPing population of Particracy is a minor proportion of the total population. If you lessen the inactivation requirements, you lose a lot of Particracy's most dedicated players, and you lose a lot of the last bastions of traditional culture.

EEL123 wrote:
Zanz wrote:Maybe you don't mind if someone is disrespectful to you, but there are those who do, and you should respect that.
Well, if emotional damage is involved, fine. But seriously, the cases requiring intervention should be reduced.

Maybe you can point me to the cases you're referencing. I can't think of many times where this rule is enforced, and I can think of NO times where this rule is controversial when enforced.

EEL123 wrote:
Zanz wrote:So you're doing away with rules for most things, but now you want the rules to enforce players staying in an RP that they no longer consent to?
Some unreasonable rules exist. Some reasonable rules don't. Just because I like to cut doesn't mean that I'm not allowed to add. If you pull out of an RP, that is in a sense a "breach of contract", if you will, with the other participants.

Breach of contract. In a game. Played primarily by adolescent boys.

You're optimistic.

EEL123 wrote:
Zanz wrote:Could be godmodding. Parties A and B agree to numbers, then invade Party C, who did not agree. Essentially, this rule protects the Rildanor Accords, from my understanding.
I mean everyone agreeing to the numbers, not just a handful of them.

I'd argue that this is enforced fairly, then. I've never seen mods step into RP unless requested, and when they do step in, I doubt this rule will be used unfairly. Indeed, this rule allows them to step in at all. If one player is getting dogpiled and needs legal help, that's the mods' job.

EEL123 wrote:
Zanz wrote:Can't seem to find the article you're citing. Mistype?
Try 9.6.3.

I see it now, but have no comment on this one. Thanks.
Just a bunch of shit.
Zanz

Postby EEL123 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:42 pm

Zanz wrote:Seems silly to take issue with this. How hard is it to throw some random names up?
The issue isn't whether it's easy or difficult to comply with the rule. It's whether or not it should exist in the first place.

Zanz wrote:I'd argue that this is enforced fairly, then. I've never seen mods step into RP unless requested, and when they do step in, I doubt this rule will be used unfairly. Indeed, this rule allows them to step in at all. If one player is getting dogpiled and needs legal help, that's the mods' job.
But I see no reason when consent is given by everyone why they can't have larger-than-normal armies.

Zanz wrote:I can't think of many times where this rule is enforced, and I can think of NO times where this rule is controversial when enforced.
That's because people might not complain. You may have noticed, but I am an irritating, whiny person.

Zanz wrote:If you lessen the inactivation requirements, you lose a lot of Particracy's most dedicated players, and you lose a lot of the last bastions of traditional culture.
Here, for a change, we need to toughen enforcement. Cultural protocols and stuff need to be actually enforced; trivial rules don't, but they make up at least a quarter of the Pax Cynica.

Zanz wrote:Breach of contract. In a game. Played primarily by adolescent boys. You're optimistic.
Not normally. But I am a legalistic type.
House of Razama
EEL123

Postby Mr.Yankees » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:30 am

EEL123 wrote:
Zanz wrote:Seems silly to take issue with this. How hard is it to throw some random names up?
The issue isn't whether it's easy or difficult to comply with the rule. It's whether or not it should exist in the first place.

Zanz wrote:I'd argue that this is enforced fairly, then. I've never seen mods step into RP unless requested, and when they do step in, I doubt this rule will be used unfairly. Indeed, this rule allows them to step in at all. If one player is getting dogpiled and needs legal help, that's the mods' job.
But I see no reason when consent is given by everyone why they can't have larger-than-normal armies.

Zanz wrote:I can't think of many times where this rule is enforced, and I can think of NO times where this rule is controversial when enforced.
That's because people might not complain. You may have noticed, but I am an irritating, whiny person.

Zanz wrote:If you lessen the inactivation requirements, you lose a lot of Particracy's most dedicated players, and you lose a lot of the last bastions of traditional culture.
Here, for a change, we need to toughen enforcement. Cultural protocols and stuff need to be actually enforced; trivial rules don't, but they make up at least a quarter of the Pax Cynica.

Zanz wrote:Breach of contract. In a game. Played primarily by adolescent boys. You're optimistic.
Not normally. But I am a legalistic type.

I think the main issue here is precedent. You may agree to have normal than typical armies with your fellow buddy and have your little war. Guess what's going to happen now? You (by the way, I'm using you as a general term not your specifically) think you have a larger than normal army. I may not agree with you on that. That's the reason we need a system. It helps us settle differences much easier.

Pax Cynica is quite specific for each possible situation. A lot of folks here state that the document itself hurts RP, it does not. The people who enforce it and the people who whine hurt the RP.
Mr.Yankees

Next

Return to General