Ahmadism Development Project

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: Queranzariah and Abadism Development Project

Postby Sir Thomas Hill » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:37 pm

Polites wrote:
Polites wrote:Ok, so this has been bugging me for some time now. The word "Queranzariah" doesn't work with Arabic or Jelbic, so it definitely needs to be changed; the reason that hasn't happened yet I think is that the word was often used after the religon retcon as a synonym for Islam. But now that "Ahmadism" and related words have taken that role, we should find a replacement.

What I was thinking is calling it the equivalent of "monotheism" in those languages, so basically Isràía or Tawhidiyya, Anglicized as Israism (adj. isràsrlji = Israist). This would make sense as a result of this branch's opposition to Abadi worship of the Holy Spirits, which would be seen as dangerously close to shirk (polytheism).

Any thoughts on that?

*bump*

I just want to bring attention back to this for a moment. Personally, I have been using only Queranzariah in Solentia as I misunderstood the word to mean Islam after the retcon. In retrospect, I should have been using Ahmadism. So yes, I would agree that we need a new word for Queranzariah that suits better.

Israism would work in my view.
Alliance Rose of Kanjor [Active]
The Unionists of Solentia [Inactive]
Game/Discord Username: Gobbleke
Sir Thomas Hill

Postby Polites » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:59 pm

Polites

Postby Sir Thomas Hill » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:18 pm

I knew I should start using the Wiki more! Thanks! :)
Alliance Rose of Kanjor [Active]
The Unionists of Solentia [Inactive]
Game/Discord Username: Gobbleke
Sir Thomas Hill

Postby Polites » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:05 pm

Bumping up this thread to let people know I gave Ahmadism a little bit more juice by providing a summary of the differences between the main sects, here. I based the changes on RP that's happened so far and also tried to mix and match elements from various RL Islamic schools and sects, plus a little bit of Baha'i cosmology. For Abadism, the fact that the Razamid Caliphate happened would make it implausible for the sect to have an Imami-style system of succession, which would also be too restrictive for players considering rules on character ownership. Zahirism was never really developed, so I based the updates on some of the bills LNRulez proposed while he was RPing a Zahiri movement, adding a Twelver Shi'a succession system plus a little bit of Isma'ili theology. I also added some clarification on the theological distinction between Israis and Abadis re: the Holy Spirits; the idea that Abadis worship them seemed a little bit too far-fetched, so I latched onto the idea that they were created from God's Illumination (already mentioned on the wiki article on Abadism) by introducing the Islamic concept of Nour, and making the theological disagreement be about the Nour's createdness (using some of the RL arguments about the createdness of the Qur'an). Also, considering Ahmadism would have been born in a Turkic-ish environment, I added a couple of Central Asian elements to the religion (like the fact that the Caliph has to be elected/confirmed by a kurultai).

And relatedly, could Moderation maybe rename this thread as "Ahmadism Development Project"?
Polites

Postby Aquinas » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:03 pm

Polites wrote:And relatedly, could Moderation maybe rename this thread as "Ahmadism Development Project"?

Done.
Aquinas

Re: Ahmadism Development Project

Postby Kubrick » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:13 pm

I saw the comparison list you worked on and that's really cool! Should do this for the other religions too, gives an easy overview which, I admit, even I need!
"see yah i think kubs is right" ~Zanz

"I’m pretty sure your buddy Kubrick was upset he couldn’t just resort to his old ways" ~Auditorii

"You can blame Polites and Kubrick for that nightmare" ~Doc
Kubrick

Postby Polites » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:38 pm

Kubrick wrote:I saw the comparison list you worked on and that's really cool! Should do this for the other religions too, gives an easy overview which, I admit, even I need!

I'll try to add one of these to Hosianism, and maybe do a Qedarite religions comparison table too.
Polites

Postby Polites » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:46 pm

And on that note, it seems "Qedarite" is a RL term referring to a specific North Arabian confederation in antiquity. Rather than rename the group (which in PT refers both to Afro-Asiatic languages and to the Abrahamic religions), what if we introduce Qedar as the mythical/religious forefather of the Qedarite peoples, as a sort of Abraham equivalent?
Polites

Postby Polites » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:06 am

I decided to turn the Zahiris into Druze, or more generally Isma'ilis with a Hidden Imam. Does that sound alright to folks here?
Polites

Postby Martinulus » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:13 pm

Be careful with Hiding as that's a Hosian religious concept in Terra that the Ahmadis reject (Eliyahu is not in hiding in heaven). Itd be like the Muslims proclaiming the Mahdi "son of God ", I'd say.
Hosianisch-Demokratisches Verbund - Hulstria and Gao-Soto

Notable previous parties:
Folkepartiet (People's Party) - Kazulia
Martinulus

PreviousNext

Return to General