Contemporary list of colonies

Talk and plan things about the game with other players.

Re: Contemporary list of colonies

Postby Duke Matthus » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:34 am

Khaler wrote:
SelucianCrusader wrote:The rule that all players in a nation have to agree to sell for a transaction of colonies to be valid is simply creativity-restricting.

There is a rule like this for real? Since when? This really reeks of good old Axis-buddybuddy bullshit. "Hey, we are Axis*, we take over all the colonies by invading nations, and then we change the rules so we can't be invaded!"

* They might have stopped being called Axis, but you know who I'm talking about. Though, most of them have left the game by now.

It was that way for as long as I can remember. When I purchased New Alduria, I had to get approval from every member of the other nation. This was long before Axis was really important. It was under the control of PrezMustrarif (I know I misspelled that) at the time. Though that might have just been a formality then and not a rule.
Long Live the Empire!!!!
And while we are at it, "Hail the Holy Britannian Empire!!!!!"
Duke Matthus

Postby Dynastia » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:52 am

It was a formality, I'm sure. I've never heard of needing approval from all players in a nation ; resolutions were always accepted with simple resolution (or a supermajority resolution if it seemed appropriate), and RP never needed the approval of players who didn't involve themselves in the RP.
Dynastia

Postby SelucianCrusader » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:59 am

If I'm not mistaken, the attempt to sell Gao-Soto/Hulstria:s colonies to Gaduridos duing the JBN era failed, since not all players approved of the transaction. Maybe someone can correct me if I am mistaken.
SelucianCrusader

Postby Urien » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:10 pm

It has to be 2/3 of the players.
Urien

Postby Valdštejn » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:36 pm

Khaler wrote:
SelucianCrusader wrote:The rule that all players in a nation have to agree to sell for a transaction of colonies to be valid is simply creativity-restricting.

There is a rule like this for real? Since when? This really reeks of good old Axis-buddybuddy bullshit. "Hey, we are Axis*, we take over all the colonies by invading nations, and then we change the rules so we can't be invaded!"

* They might have stopped being called Axis, but you know who I'm talking about. Though, most of them have left the game by now.

It's a rule, but it's not exclusive for or even intended primarily for colonies - it's just the usual rule for international RP. Actually, there's a different rule for colonies, saying that there's only a 2/3rd majority needed. (Of course, DoW is also an exception, outlined in the Rildanor Accord.)

Dynastia wrote:It was a formality, I'm sure. I've never heard of needing approval from all players in a nation ; resolutions were always accepted with simple resolution (or a supermajority resolution if it seemed appropriate), and RP never needed the approval of players who didn't involve themselves in the RP.

At times, it was a formality, true. At least since I'm a mod, it has been a real de-fact restriction though. In some cases, the ignorance of bills by players not involving themselves in the RP might be seen as silent consent, but not when major stuff is concerned, which includes the transactions of colonies.
Valdštejn

Postby Liu Che/Zhuli » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:02 pm

I think I have decided that I want to clear up my position. I may seem anti-colonial and I am to the extent that how they have been RPed since I have been here is unrealistic, with a few positive things along the way. I too have been victim to this lack of realism and I plan to change it.

If the colonies stay, and I have a feeling they will, I think Moderation should implement a realism system. No colonial empire in history has lasted for thousands of years. On average, most break apart in a few hundred years. So, I think Moderation should limit the amount of time nations can hold onto colonies, allowing colonial powers to rise and fall, generating a great deal of variation in RP. Obviously this isn't super detailed, but it is just a thought. This would definitely allow for colonies to be used for roleplaying purposes.
Liu Che/Zhuli

Previous

Return to General